Author Topic: Falcon board vs rPi-3  (Read 264 times)

Offline Balxur

• Kudos: 0
Falcon board vs rPi-3
« on: May 29, 2019, 06:50:51 AM »
Hi guys,

Trying to compare and decide on direction here. Just looking to do a simple installation for myself and a few neighbors that are interested

Looking at either a F16v3 controller or a Raspberry Pi3 (with the falcon shield or perhaps a SanDevice board)
Not sure what's best here. New to looking at Falcon, but have been looking at Vixen 3 / rPi3 / San Devices for a while now

Plan is basically to set up diffused LED strips under the gutters as a permanent lighting for seasons. Basically has to be a build it and leave it type install with some on/off, timer, program select (like pattern choices) so that anyone can use it. I have to make it super simple for the wife as she hates tech. No musical sync light show for this guy! lol

If there were an app or web interface for this control, that would probably sell me on a choice.

Any input here is greatly appreciated!

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 44
Re: Falcon board vs rPi-3
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 12:29:35 PM »
Falcon F16V3 is a great controller and I use 4 in my christmas light show.   But, in my humble opinion, its overkill for what you want to do.

For what you described, I would suggest a Pi Zero with a Nano Pixel Hat.   There is an FPP plug-in script called "Big Buttons" that can be set up  display several options on a cell phone screen to just click and run a pre-set sequence.    I am doing this now with some interior decorative lighting.   My wife is non-techie and she's fine with using her cell phone to just pick a "scene" and it works great.

-Mark

Offline Balxur

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 06:04:31 PM »
That makes sense. You referring to the Falcon PiCap? Or a different pixel shield for the PI?

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 44
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 06:16:31 AM »
That makes sense. You referring to the Falcon PiCap? Or a different pixel shield for the PI?

The Falcon PiCap would work fine, but I was referring to the smaller hats for the smaller PiZero-W.  Something like either of these two:
https://shop.cfolights.com/product/nano-matrix-pihat/
https://jboards.ecwid.com/Pixel-String-Pihat-Zero-p133155360

Note 1: the PiZero does not normally come with the 40-pin header installed so you need to add one to use a cap/hat with the PiZero
Note 2: These smaller hats do not have real-time Clock like the Falcon PiCap does.  If you need accurate time without network access then use the PiCap with the battery clock.  My PiZeros have access to my home wifi and get the time off the net so they don't need the real-time clock
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:29:26 AM by pixelpuppy »

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 08:44:51 AM »
You can buy a Pi Zero W with presoldered headers, but the price goes from $5 to $14.  I bought a package of headers over a year ago and just solder them on myself.  For less than $10 I probably got enough headers to put them on a dozen Zeros.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/502843/zero-wh---with-pre-soldered-headers
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Balxur

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 11:17:26 AM »
Thanks guys. Ordered up a couple things to play with.

My goal is to put up permanent Xmas lights that are not super visible. Currently thinking LED tape light with a diffuser. Low profile under the gutter
Pixels would look nicer I think, but I don't really see how I can hide them well.

Also, distance might have some struggles with distance here as the total is about 200 feet for the runs

Any suggestions / insights would be appreciated!

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 05:57:06 PM »
The thing is that in most cases, you really don't have to hide them.  I have pixels mounted in PVC pipe around just about all of my front windows and my front door an they are up all year and unless you are looking for them, you really don't notice them.  The PVC pipe is the same color as the house trim which helps and the pipe being straight and in line with the trim also helps.  When you have light strings hanging from the house in a straggled fashion, they draw your eyes to them but when they look like part og the house, they are not as noticeable and tend to disappear.