Author Topic: 4-String Differential SmartReceiver Board Questions  (Read 8035 times)

Offline sklankowski

• Kudos: 0
    • Rotary Lights
4-String Differential SmartReceiver Board Questions
« on: June 07, 2019, 08:42:28 AM »
Since the questions are rolling in on FB and are scattered all around, I wanted to ask here. 
For a standard receiver, the board would receive 4 ports of data from a controller, with each port capable of handling 1022 pixels maximum, (careful not to exceed universe limit). Each of these ports of data corresponded to one of the four string outputs on the board.

Q1) With the new smart receiver, if two are daisy-chained together (Controller-SR"A"-SR"B"), how will data on port 1 from the controller be carried through the chain.  IOW, will string output #1 on SmartRecieverA and string output #1 on SmartRecieverB be connected in some way.  Is this observed more easily from the controller interface?

Q2) For certain props (e.g. a forest of trees) will the placement of each smart receiver in the series be critical, e.g. Controller-SR"A"-SR"B" vs Controller-SR"B"-SR"A" ?  I have read there are dip switches to be configured.  If props are identical, SR"A" = SR"B", would this matter, or will dip switches need to be configure again?

Q3) Will their be a limitation on the voltage supplied to each receiver vs the controller?  12Vdc vs 5Vdc

Q4) More advanced question, I am looking to split apart port lines from controller. Each DMX jack has four ports of data, I have special made cables to allow twisted pairs for ports 1&2 and 3&4 to go to two different standard receiver boards (maller props, e.g. coro snowflakes with 100 pixels each).  Like question #1, with these new smart receivers, will not having the full set of 4 data ports affect the operation in some way.  Daisy chaining I feel I could get more than four string outputs at greater distances apart, thinking on an office building wall. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:03:38 AM by sklankowski »

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: 4-String Differential SmartReceiver Board Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 05:45:05 AM »
I'm trying to find info too as I could see me using them.  I haven't followed any mention of them on FB or Zoom and I'm still battling to find info on how the pixels per port are configured and what limitations they have. I'm kinda guessing that there's info encoded into the pixel data but that's just a guess as I've only seen F16V3 and F48 screenshots showing setups and nothing for the receiver end.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 06:06:06 AM »
I spent quite a bit of time last week with the Logic Analyzer to figure these out so I can add support to for them to the BBB based boards.  (which is now on master BTW)

Basically, the two RJ45's on the board are directly connected pin to pin.  There is no processing of the signal and resending out.   All the receivers get the exact same data.   Thus, if you have two on the chain configured as the same "letter", they can and will act exactly the same.   It also means that the "order" on the chain is irrelevant.  The configuration is just about which block of data the receiver will use.  I don't know if the signal is strong enough, but in theory, you could have 12 receivers, 4 each of A/B/C, and each having pixels connected to only one port to make it "mimic" 12 single channel receivers/controllers.

In the data stream being sent out, if the F48 or whatever is configured for smart receivers, there are header data blocks to let the receivers know whether they should enable the outputs on the buffer chips or not.   However, the block is relatively large (so the processor on the board has time to detect and react).  The block can range in size from "15 pixels" worth of data up to "25 pixels" worth of data. (assuming ws281x)  Thus, with 3 receivers configured, you do lose some "time" and thus some pixels.

With 50ms sequences, i DON'T know if you still get the full 1024 or not.   Technically, there is plenty of time, but I don't know if internally it uses some of the pixel data slots in memory or not.   Only Dave can answer that.    With 25ms sequences, you do lose quite a bit.   You would drop from about 750 pixels to about 680 or so due to the overhead. 

Offline zanclus

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 12:00:15 PM »
What about distance? I was wondering when using the Smart receivers is the distance from the "Sending" board accumlitive?. Say 1st reciever board 100ft, 2nd 75ft, 3rd 40'.... or is it the 250isgh feet between boards?

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 10:47:08 PM »
It is 250 feet between the sender (controller/expansion board) and the last receiver. The receiver does not boost the signal.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline gymgeek

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 05:23:19 AM »
Can the smart receiver be driven by the F4V2? I don't see it mentioned in the specs but is that intentional?

Offline darylc

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 08:04:33 AM »
Can the smart receiver be driven by the F4V2? I don't see it mentioned in the specs but is that intentional?
Not yet, there has been no release of v2.50 for the F4v2 at this stage.

Offline gymgeek

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 04:53:19 PM »

Is firmware v2.50 a prerequisite? I ask because the F16V2 is on the list and I don't see a firmware newer than 1.11 for it. Also, I thought the F16V2 and the F4V2 shared the same FPGA so if one supports it, the other would too?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 05:24:02 PM »

Is firmware v2.50 a prerequisite? I ask because the F16V2 is on the list and I don't see a firmware newer than 1.11 for it. Also, I thought the F16V2 and the F4V2 shared the same FPGA so if one supports it, the other would too?

Dave said he would release v2.5 firmware for the F16v2(red) but I've not seen or heard from it yet (and I use two of them).

Offline darylc

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 11:57:08 PM »

To use a smart receiver in smart receiver mode, yes.  If you configure the smart receiver as a dumb receiver you can use it as usual.

Offline TxBillbr

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
My questions on the SmartReceivers are different. I haven't found ANY documentation around them.

1. I have assumed the two mode switches give us A - 0ff 0ff, B - Off On, C - On Off. Is this correct?
2. I have tried setting them up on the F40D (running FPP3.0) with no success. Configured for two smart receivers, double-checked the connections, cables, and ports. Running test-mode from the 40D doesn't indicate data on the SRs. I have just a single SR with identical results.
3. Pressing test on the board(s) does the lighty thing, so I know somethings are correct.
4. I run 12V pixels and the 7805 gets pretty warm. Is that to be expected? Should I consider a heatsink?

I haven't messed with the Tn jumpers. I get a red led when all is connected. Vanna, I would like to buy a vowel! Should I step back, update the firmware on my F16V3 and try from there?

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 04:23:22 PM »
There is a legend indicating the jumper settings on the back of each Smartreceiver.

off, off = Regular Receiver
off, on = A
on, off = B
on , on = C

Offline TxBillbr

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 04:26:48 PM »
Thanks David. I completely missed that. That resolved my issue. I was nervous about changing settings I didn't understand. My friends would razz me with something about being able to pour p*SS from a boot if the instructions were on the bottom... ;-)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:25:21 PM by TxBillbr »

Offline TxBillbr

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 06:15:03 PM »
David (or others),
Is it required for the SmartReceivers to be in ascending order from the controller out? e.g Controller->A->B->C, or can they be hooked up in any order?

Bill

Offline darylc

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 09:47:04 PM »
David (or others),
Is it required for the SmartReceivers to be in ascending order from the controller out? e.g Controller->A->B->C, or can they be hooked up in any order?
Any order, the receivers do not regenerate the signal, it is just passed through from one connector to the next so it doesn't matter which order they are in.