Author Topic: Using More Than 48 Strings And DMX Allowed  (Read 226 times)

Offline Plateump

• Kudos: 0
Using More Than 48 Strings And DMX Allowed
« on: June 11, 2019, 03:50:40 PM »
I am trying to clarify if the F16V3 can actually have more than 48 strings, and if so, what are the limitations or requirements.  I am looking at using a F16V3 with 2 F16V3 expansion boards for a total of 48 local pixel string ports.  But I also want to utilizing 3 ports on a 4-string differential receiver in a remote location and utilize a DMX output.  I am including a quick drawing trying to show my design.  Short question, can I use the 4-channel differential receiver, sacrificing the use of one of the ports on the differential receiver for DMX and still have 48 local ports for pixels?

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
Re: Using More Than 48 Strings And DMX Allowed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 09:08:08 PM »
No, you can't do that.

The 48 ports are the maximum that can be controlled.  If you add a differential receiver to the DMX ports on the side, they are going to be the same as one of the 48 outputs.

You can have the DMX output be different from the rest, because that is a different type of data.

Offline Plateump

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 08:36:46 AM »
OK, if I am limited to 48 pixel ports, I will sacrifice 4 of my local pixel ports to use the 4-channel differential receiver as I have to have the remote pixel ports. Can I use all 4 of the ports on the 4-channel differential receiver and still use DMX?  I am including 2 more drawing to indicate my thoughts.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:59:12 AM »
You can't use all 4 ports on a differential receiver AND use DMX at the same time.  The serial data for the DMX uses one of the ports.  So if you plug the differential receiver into DMX port 1, and a DMX device into DMX port 3, than you can't use Port 3 on the Differential Receiver.

Offline Plateump

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 03:28:18 PM »
Excellent!  Thanks for the info!

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 04:54:40 PM »
There might be other options that will accomplish what you are trying to do. Is there a possibility that you can combine your strings? Each port (taking into consideration of the split with the Expansion boards) can handle 1024 channels of data. You can also add another FPP device that can expand both the Pixel and DMX count if you need to.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 06:28:35 PM »
You could also just grab a Pi and a Picap and get 2 pixel ports plus DMX out.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5