Author Topic: Models lighting up in the sequencer when they shouldn't  (Read 382 times)

Offline dchristian

• Kudos: 2
Models lighting up in the sequencer when they shouldn't
« on: May 06, 2019, 05:16:20 PM »
Hello,
I've started seeing models lighting in the sequencer when there isn't any sequence in that timeline. Take a look at the screenshot I have attached.
When at a particular time in a sequence only my GuestRoom window model light should come on, along with it two other models light up for reasons I have no idea. If it helps i've provided a screenshot of the setup and layout
Thanks in advance.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: Models lighting up in the sequencer when they shouldn't
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 07:08:39 PM »
I can't answer your question, but you are doing what I did last year and giving each model/prop dedicated universes.  This year I greatly simplified things by giving a range of universes for each controller.  Then I just daisy chained each model/prop to the one next to it.  I never used the universe numbers for anything and if you are going to use FPPConnect to configure your controller things could be much simpler.
Your network setup could be just one line with universes 1-21 and one output (10.0.1.3). to start with.  Then just chain each model to start one channel past the preceding end channel.  When all the models are done, go back and edit the network line to remove universes that you are not using, might only be 1-18 for example.  This was the topic of Saturday nights webinar at PixelProDisplays.  It was recorded but has not been posted yet.  You might join pixelprodisplays.com free membership and check out their you tube channel as well.  Been several webinars the last couple of months on layout setup.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 08:03:58 PM »
I can't see anything obvious.Go to Tools>Check Sequence and see if shows up any channel overlaps.

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 08:26:25 PM »
Like Jim stated, let xLights help you out.
What I do is designate each controller to start the Universe count on a multiple of 100. So my first controller will have Universes of 100, 101, 102, etc. And set up enough Universes for the props connected to that controller. Then my next Controller would start at Universe 200, 201, 202, etc.
Then all you need to do in xLights is to designate the first model connected to your controller with a start channel of the first Universe designated to your controller and channel 1 (so in my case, Universe 100, channel 1). Then the next model will have a start channel to be after the model before it. (see screen shots). It saves you a lot of work and makes it very simple to expand your show in the future as well, especially because it looks like you don't have actual pixel counts entered, when you actually install your pixels you will have a huge headache when you go to change your pixel counts. If things are setup correctly in xLights and you are using Falcon or other supported controller, you can use FPP connect in xLights to actually setup your controllers as well.

Another thing is you should run the Check Sequence function often and it probably would have told you where the problem was.

You have a problem with overlapping channels. Look at your garage. It starts at Universe 5 Channel 1 (You don't need to identify the IP address, xLights knows) your Garage has 200 pixels which is 600 channels. You have your Universes setup with only 300 channels? Any reason why? It is more common to use 510 or 512 channels per Universe. So if your Garage uses 600 channels, then it will use all 300 of the channels available in Universe 5 and 6 (300+300)
Then you start your Left Arches on Universe 6 channel 1... You have already used all of Universe 6!
Then you have the same thing with
Front Door   Start on Universe 7 channel 1 and end on Universe 8 channel 300
Guest Room Start on Universe 8 channel 1 and end on Universe 9 channel 300
Above Front Door Start on Universe 9 channel 1 and end on Universe 9 channel 300

So you have a lot of overlapping channels!

There are a thousand ways to do things in xLights, this is just my recommendation and it really simplifies things.
I hope this helps
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline RWS92

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 11:01:38 AM »
I think it is just a weird artifact in xLights.  I have it happen all the time and was a bit freaked prior to my first run on my house live but what showed on the preview window did not happen on the prop and it did just what I had sequenced to it.

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 01:14:22 PM »
It isn't an artifact of xLights. There were overlapping channels. Here is what happens. In your display, you have 2 windows, each with 120 pixels. Assume that you are using Universes of 512 channels and do not use model chaining. The left window starts at Universe 2 Channel 392. And because you didn't use model chaining you set the Right Window to start at Universe 3 Channel 210.
What this ends up being is that the Left Window uses channels 904 through1263 and the Right Window uses channels 1234 through 1593. So the left window and right window are both using channels 1234 through 1263. So any data that is sent to the left Window will also send data to a portion of the right window and vice versa. Sometimes people want overlapping channels so the program will allow it but if you use the Check Sequence often, it will save you a lot of grief!
I have never seen xLights show something different in the preview that what was actually displayed on the models (unless there were overlapping channels or the sequence wasn't rendered, or the controller wasn't configured properly)