Author Topic: Master/ Remote Problem  (Read 847 times)

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
Re: Master/ Remote Problem
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »
Why do each of you FPP instances have 2 IP addresses on the same network?   That's just asking for problems.

Offline mmais68569

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 05:23:01 PM »
Here is the results of the ping test all looks good to me, but what do I know.

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 05:24:34 PM »
Why do each of you FPP instances have 2 IP addresses on the same network?   That's just asking for problems.

One ether & one wireless

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 06:03:14 PM »
Couple thing that I see that have haunted me in the past.
- Special characters in media name of sequence name.  in your case the (15) in front Beach Boys.  I would also shorten the names.  I would likely do "Little Saint Nick"
- DNS Server was a problem until I just went to DHCP for the DNS.  If you have an internet connection, maybe use Googles 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4
- Verify files got copied to remotes.
- before testing, restart FPPD again.

Just some thoughts.

Online dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2019, 06:50:29 PM »

One ether & one wireless

They shouldn't be on the same network though.   Only configure one or the other for any given network.   Most likely this is a big part of the problem.   

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 05:26:20 AM »

One ether & one wireless

They shouldn't be on the same network though.   Only configure one or the other for any given network.   Most likely this is a big part of the problem.

To make sure I am understanding you correctly. If I want to keep all my wireless as static address, I need to change all my eth0 to DHCP & delete the static for them. Is this true on the master as well as the remotes?

Online dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 06:22:47 AM »

To make sure I am understanding you correctly. If I want to keep all my wireless as static address, I need to change all my eth0 to DHCP & delete the static for them. Is this true on the master as well as the remotes?

If there is nothing connected to the ethernet port, yes. 

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 06:33:28 AM »
Here is the way I have the controller set up with the Pi. Which one would you suggest to remove Eth0  or Wlan0?

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 07:23:07 AM »
So it looks like you are connecting to Pi to your network via wireless and then connecting your Pi to a controller via Ethernet, is that correct?
If so, then your controllers need to be on a different subnet than the wlan0 interface and your eth0 on your Pis need to be on the same subnet as your controllers. You will need to setup some sort of routing so that your network will be able to communicate with your Pi and controllers on the different subnet. I attached a draft version of the new FPP manual and there is a section towards the end that shows network setups that might help. This manual is not complete yet so if there is something missing, let me know.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 07:32:01 AM »
Yes to your first question.
The controller is an AlphaPix. I have 2 of these & 2 F16's.
 I will take a look at the manual & try to understand it. Before I make any changes I will let you look it over as this senior(old fart) is not good at networking.
Thanks

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 07:55:25 AM »
I can totally relate, I had problems understanding the networking side of things (they are a little fuzzy still as I am an old fart as well!) When I decided to help writing the new FPP manual, there was a LOT that I didn't understand and had to learn and ask a TON of questions to the developers (I probably bugged them too much!)
Refer to page 54 for an overview of networks and then page 57 for the Master Remote section.

What is your network setup? You stated that this network did not have internet in an earlier post and were using Real Clocks? What is Real Clocks?
With that statement, then you would have your home router on one subnet and then your show router on a different subnet? For an old fart that struggles with networking, you were able to setup the routing for the ping to work from your computer, LOL
So you would be using a combination of a Stand Alone network with a Master-Remote network.

PM Sent
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 08:04:43 AM by Poporacer »

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 08:28:34 AM »
Ok Let's start from the beginning that way I(we) can get it corrected & running. Below is a pic. of my setup.
First my show network is stand alone with no internet connection. I connect to my Master Pi with this IP address 192.168.1.2 from my home PC which is in the house. Home router IP 192.168.0.1 Show router is 192.168.1.1
On my Master I have 2 IP addresses eth0 192.168.1.101 and wlan0 192.168.1.2. I had help from Jim N. setting this up last year. Work with no problems last year but it was all wire.

Now this is what I have currently on one Remote that does not work eth0192.168.1.221 & wlan0 192.168.1.220

REMOTE NEW SETUP
So if I am reading the manual correct the wlan0 can stay the same at 192.168.1.220, Netmask 255.255.255.0 & Gateway as 192.168.1.1

Then the eth0 will be 192.168.5.221 Netmask as 255.255.255.0 Gateway-blank-

Server mode set to manual DNS 1-192.168.1.1 DNS 2-8.8.8.8 or blank as I do not have internet connection

These changes would be done on the other 3 remotes I am using if the above is correct. Yes different IP addreses.

Thanks

Online dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »
You already have a problem with master.... I repeat:  you CANNOT have two interfaces using ip addresses on the same subnet.   That is a recipe for disaster.   If master is hardwired to the show network, remove all the wifi settings for it. 

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »
You already have a problem with master.... I repeat:  you CANNOT have two interfaces using ip addresses on the same subnet.   That is a recipe for disaster.   If master is hardwired to the show network, remove all the wifi settings for it.
Thanks for that info, my Master had both interfaces on the same subnet as I thought that the wireless communication came from the Pi, but in reality it is generated from the router (Now I know!) It worked, but now I know, it is a recipe for disaster.

I had my eth0 setup with DHCP and my wireless setup static (same subnet as eth0) and all the configuration needed for wireless. I changed the wlan0 to DHCP and removed all the networking info and changed the eth0 to static and setup the settings there. Everything works!
Thanks for the info! Still learning this networking stuff.

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2019, 11:41:11 AM »
Ok let's see if I understand this now.
I connect to my master pi via wireless from my home PC, only to change settings & up load information. So I need to set the master as follows:
Static eth0-192.168.1.101
Netmask -255.255.255.0
Gateway -Blank
Wlan0 -Blank

My master pi connects to the show router with a cat5.
Sorry for being so dumb but this to me is like trying to teach a monkey to drive.
Mike