Author Topic: Network configuration  (Read 140 times)

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 7
Network configuration
« on: June 16, 2019, 02:32:40 PM »
Due to the responses on another post, I have a question on my current configuration. My intent was to somewhat isolate the network traffic and extend the wireless range for my show. I might have it totally wrong and it works, but I would like to know the potential issues and what I can do to improve it.

Here is my setup.

Home router-
IP 192.168.0.1

Show Router- Setup in garage to make it closer to the props.
IP 192.168.0.2
Set up as a switch with the Ethernet from the home router connected to a Lan port
Wireless SSID name and password configured (different than the Home Router)

Master
connected to Show Router via Ethernet
eth0 configured on the 192.18.0 subnet
wlan0 set to DHCP

Remotes
wlan0 configured on the 192.168.0.xxx subnet
Wireless configured to communicate via the SSID of the Show Router

My thought was that because the wireless communication of the show devices was through the SSID of the Show Router, that a slight reduction in traffic would be realized. I know it will be very slight.

But in thinking about it, I think a better setup might be to change the IP of the Show Router to be on a different subnet. Then the Master will have its IP on the same subnet as the Show router. The remotes will have the wlan0 configured on the Show Router subnet and the eth0 (where applicable) will be configured on another subnet and the controllers configured to this subnet (so a total of 3 subnets, Home network, Show Network and Controller Subnet) If I go that route, then the static route will need to be configured. How will that be done? I have thoughts but not sure which one is correct or best.

How would I set up the routes?
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: Network configuration
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 04:56:43 AM »
Since you have two routers you should make the show router be different network.  For me
- home router is 192.168.3.x  This is a new router.  The old one was 192.168.0.x and I left it running for awhile until I could re-configure all the damn stuff that accesses the network (TVs, lights, echo and dots, etc)
- show router is 192.168.1.x

The show router WAN is physically connected to a LAN port on the home router so that the master and all my remotes have internet access for updating.

The master is cabled to the show router and although not needed the master wlan is set to connect to the home wifi just for control and update purposes.  Other that initially setting up the master I cannot remember the last time I actually talked to the master thru wifi of the home network.  Mostly there just because I can. 

All remotes connect to the show router via wifi with static addresses although I have started using some reserved addresses in the DHCP server of the show router just so I could set the remote wifi to DHCP and they would still get the addresses I was using as static.  I have a scheme for setting my remote addresses and it also relates to the eth0 addresses I set my F16s to, so just not wanting to muck things up for now.

I have routes setup to allow me to access all the remotes and all my F16s from my home computers.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:03:41 AM by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5