Author Topic: 3 FPP system  (Read 9568 times)

Offline gemoomaw@gmail.com

• Kudos: 0
3 FPP system
« on: June 26, 2019, 06:43:12 PM »
I have 2 FPP+ Pi-hats. I have just added another FPP to act as a master/server.
Can you advise me how to set up these FPP so that the I can download my sequences to the master and it will sent this to the 2 Pi-hat controllers.
thank you

Offline w8one

• Kudos: 1
Re: 3 FPP system
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 07:31:15 PM »
From what i understand you still need the files locally (on each pi) for it to work right. To setup the master remote look in the v2.x manual here https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?topic=7103.0 . Then look at this to see what files to put where, https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?topic=2009.0 . Hope that helps.

Quando omni flunkus moritati

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 02:15:16 AM »
Depending on the number of channels you are potentially better off running the 2 PiHat Pi's in bridge mode with your master Pi being in charge of all the sequences and everything. This has the advantage of being simple, allows testing your show by using xlights to send data to them both and it gets rid of timing issues that sometimes occurs with master/remote configurations. The only time you would consider the master/remote option over bridge mode is if you are using wifi to sync the timing of the Pi's up rather than wired ethernet. For low channel counts under a few thousand pixels bridge mode is much easier to work with IMHO.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 06:09:41 AM »
For low channel counts under a few thousand pixels bridge mode is much easier to work with IMHO.

I may be the only one doing it, but I run 100K+ channels from a single RasPi 3B+ out to multiple FPPs in Bridge Mode and to my E131 controllers.
Output from the Pi is to a 16 port Gigabit switch, then all the receivers connect to that switch over CAT5.
It is a lot of cables to manage, but I only have to update one device.
Will upgrade that RasPi3b+ to a RasPi4 when it arrives (soon).

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 07:19:45 AM »
IF  you are running Master/Remote mode, you can log in to the Master and go to the MultiSync page. Make sure the "Copy Sequences" box is checked and it will copy them to all the remotes when you click the button to "Copy Files"

-Mark

Online Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:00:31 AM »
In this hobby there are many ways to accomplish the same thing. A while back, the Master/Remote configuration would occasionally (rare) have some sync and lag issues, but last year extensive work was put into the code to practically eliminate these issues. One of the developers uses the Master/Remote configuration exclusively because he hates cat5 cables, so if there is a sync/lag issue, he is usually very quick to resolve those.
Each of the methods mentioned will work. Here are a few things to consider.

FPP in Bridge mode-
You will only need one Player device (FPP or xSchedule) unless your controller needs the FPP device for communication, i.e. hats and capes.
You will need a switch or router (your home network router might work but there could be network congestion issues)
You will need to run cat5 cables from your switch/router to each controller location.
If you want the Player device and controllers to have access to the internet for easy updating, the network configuration may be confusing for newbies but there is a ton of help here to help you get it running.

FPP in Master/Remote mode-
You will need an FPP device at each controller location, some controllers can now run FPP so a Pi/BB is not needed (some Falcon controllers)
You will need to keep a copy of each .FSEQ file on each FPP device. If you make changes to your .FSEQ, then the master and ALL remotes will need the revised version. But there are options available to make this fairly easy (remember that at least one of the developers uses this method so he is going to make his life easier! LOL)

Either of the methods will work, and you might start with one method and end up switching to another method down the road. There is always help available.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.