Author Topic: FPP and a controller?  (Read 286 times)

Offline tesla3

• Kudos: 0
FPP and a controller?
« on: June 27, 2019, 08:51:59 PM »
Hello everyone and sorry for asking dumb questions. I have some confusion I need to clear up. I have a F16v3 controller. I am using xlights to do my setup and layout. No problems there. I even have about 300 pixels hidden under the eves and gutters of my house. I am running them in test mode just fine.

So my question is what is the difference between a controller and a player?  I understand all the hardware connects to the controller (I only have one board right now), but do I also need FPP on a pi (I realize it doesn't have to be a pi)? I have installed FPP just fine on a pi. I can communicate just fine with it, and my controller using my phone and computer.

Does it go xlights-FPP-Controller and the player runs the controller?
Does it go xlights-controller?

I feel really silly asking this, but I cannot find a clear answer. I feel like the FPP should control the controller (also sends out sound etc).

Thank you for any and all help.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
FPP and a controller?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 04:36:08 AM »
You need a computer to play the sequences you create in xlights.  That computer can be a device running FPP or an actual computer running X schedule.  FPP is simply a stripped down Linux that the developers have made to control lights cheaply with a Pi or Beagle. This allows you to use a Pi as the computer to run a show without having to have a dedicated more expensive computer. 

Yes FPP controls the controller and yes the Pi outputs the sound. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 04:47:21 AM by Emuney18 »

Offline tesla3

Re: FPP and a controller?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 10:08:37 AM »
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 04:51:20 PM »
Tesla,
Some of the newer controllers can also act as a player - to a point.  An example would be the Falcon Controllers with the new firmware.  There are a bunch of comments flying around about what it can and cannot do.  For some things, it is just fine.  For others, well...  Know that it is getting better all the time.

An actual "player", such as xSchedule or Falcon Player (Raspberry Pi or BBB based) will have a lot of things that they can do that the others just can't, at this time.

Take a good look at all of them, and see if your needs are met by any of the levels.  In my shows, the falcons with the player is just fine for some of my smaller things.  For the main show, it will take the Raspberri Pi with Falcon Player loaded.  I might even have to run xSchedule in some cases.  Once again, what fits the situation.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline tesla3

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 06:31:36 PM »
Interesting. Thank you for the info I am planning on using a FPP on  pi. I already have it setup and mounted near my F16v3. I just need top figure out how to get the player to "play" on the f16v3. I know the IP for both. I am assuming I send the file to the FPP and make it play on the F16v3. Just not sure how to do that yet. Regardless thank you.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 03:17:27 PM »
It really i not all that different than on a PC.  First you set up the output definitions in FPP and the F16V3 so that FPP sends the data to the F16V3 and the F16V3 sends the data to the correct ports and if you are using the newer versions of XLights, it can help you to do that.  It can send configuration data to the F16V3 and newer versions of FPP but it can also be done manually as well.  Then you copy your show output files (showname.fseq) to the PI.  Once you have done that, then you can create your playlists in FPP which lists the show files being used for that sequence.  Once you have created your play lists, then just go into the FPP scheduler and tell it what days and what times you want each playlist to run and you are done.