Author Topic: I made a huge mistake I think not sure  (Read 202 times)

Offline Herschelthorn

• Kudos: 0
I made a huge mistake I think not sure
« on: July 12, 2019, 12:40:54 PM »
I bought 20awg wired pixels instead of 18awg.
I want to do runs of 200 pixels each without power injections.
Now I think I might have to I never realized that it was a mistake until watching a YouTube video on a 18awg star vs a 20awg matrix. Can someone tell me what I need to do power injections I see the store sells an item that could make injections easy but not sure if I need it yet because I am waiting on my controllers to arrive.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
Re: I made a huge mistake I think not sure
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 02:56:10 PM »
The easiest way to do Power Injection is to connect power to the start and the end of the string and have that power come from the same power supply.
-Mark

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 05:51:32 PM »
Most pixel strings come with 2 additional wires included for power injection. Sometimes these are bare wires and at other times they come with a connector on them. To provide power injection just supply these points with the same 5V and gnd (or 12V and gnd) as powers the string. Make sure that you supply from the same power supply and the cable size is important. Decent sized figure 8 speaker cable or similar is a common cable that is used.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 07:15:58 PM »
I have multiple strings of 240 pixels using 20 ga wire on two mega trees and two mega spinners.  I do run them at 20%.  The mega spinners have the end pixel power leads connected to the beginning pixel power leads.  No power injection on my mega trees.  I've been putting up pixels for 7 yrs and bought thousands of nodes and NEVER bought any 18ga.  I'm not saying not to, just that my experience is that there is no need to do so.  YMMV
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5