Author Topic: Do router and access point SSID need to be the same?  (Read 100 times)

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
Do router and access point SSID need to be the same?
« on: July 13, 2019, 08:47:31 PM »
Weird question.  I am setting up a typical master and remotes using beagles and Pis.  All connect to each other via wifi.  Heres where it gets weird.  If I setup a router and access point will it work if I leave the access point as its own SSID? Or should I give them both the same SSID? 

More details. 
Router IP 192.168.3.1
Access point IP 192.168.3.2
FPP IP 192.168.3.211, GW 192.168.3.1
The router is my inside house router and 1 corner of my yard gets poor WiFi so the access point will be hardwired and placed in the poor zone.  I just dont understand the network aspect well enough.  The master will have WiFi connection to the router.  The remotes, some will connect to the router and others to the access point.  The remotes connected to the access point I would have the gateway on the FPP network set as the main router IP and SSID as the access point.

In this setup I have played with changing the WiFi connection on a single FPP from the access point to the router and then connect my phone WiFi to either and I can always reach the FPP.  So my conclusion is that it doesnt matter and all traffic is routed through router IP.  Am I correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
Re: Do router and access point SSID need to be the same?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 07:56:55 AM »
Either way should work.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 06:01:48 PM »
Thats what I was thinking but wanted someone else to confirm. My networking skills are above my grandma but way below what they should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 06:35:00 PM »
My experience......I am  using a non-WiFi router with 2 access points, and was running into nuisance issues. Sometimes it works like a charm, then there was those bad days.  I do not recall the actual problems, but I remember being frustrated a lot.  I eventually went to two different SSIDs and everything works and has been working for 2+ years

I have an area I don't like, but it only a slight bother, not a problem.  When I log into One access point, I don's see the devices connected to the other access point.  This may not be an issue for you with a WiFi router.