Author Topic: Pigtail wire and power injextion  (Read 255 times)

Offline Herschelthorn

• Kudos: 0
Pigtail wire and power injextion
« on: July 14, 2019, 09:15:14 PM »
Okay so with power injection and pigtail wire, should I go with 16 awg or 18awg? Also copper wire I know but stranded or solid? I've yet to decide on this need to figure out if anyone has any advice thanks

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Pigtail wire and power injextion
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 09:35:10 PM »
always stranded copper. No solid. No copper clad aluminum (CCA)  - and just because some stranded wires aren't copper colored, they may be tinned copper, not CCA

I use 18ga for just about everything except bus wiring in a power supply case. Then I'll go 14ga stranded.

Offline Herschelthorn

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 10:02:26 PM »
Okay so at the power supply to the f48 and the power supplies to the recievers use 14gauge. From the f8 distro to the pixels to power inject use 18awg/2. From the differential recievers to pig tail use 18gauge/3? I hope that makes sense at least I think I read that correctly.  Oh also from the wall ac power to the psu use the 14gauge as well.

Please tell me I read that correctly

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 11:22:42 PM »
Okay so at the power supply to the f48 and the power supplies to the recievers use 14gauge. From the f8 distro to the pixels to power inject use 18awg/2. From the differential recievers to pig tail use 18gauge/3? I hope that makes sense at least I think I read that correctly.  Oh also from the wall ac power to the psu use the 14gauge as well.

Please tell me I read that correctly
I think your confused with always using a certain awg wire. Distance, voltage, and current matter. The F48 only says 3A is sufficient. If your powersupply is within 20' you could probably go 22 awg. For long power injection runs, a number of people have reccomended this calculator:http://spikerlights.com/calcpower.aspx

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 02:23:26 PM »
Oh also from the wall ac power to the psu use the 14gauge as well.

Not necessarily.   The power supply takes higher voltage (~110v) with lower current (~3a) and "transforms" it into lower voltage (5-12v) with higher current (30-60a).   This means that the cable from the wall socket to the power supply input can be smaller gauge (higher numerically) that the cable from the power supply output to controller.  Most (not all) power supply cords are 18awg regarding the thickness of the conductors.  But keep in mind, the higher voltage requires thicker insulation.  That's why 18awg power cords appear much thicker than 18awg pixel wire.
-Mark

Offline Herschelthorn

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 02:46:43 PM »
Alright I have it connected as such:
Power from ac with a power strip with a fuse to an extension cord with 16awg wire to the two psus. I have the f48 connected to a 5v power supply connected to a extension cord connected to the power strip. Then cat5 connected from the f48 to the 4 differential recievers. From the psus to the differential recievers I have 14 awg wire ofc. From the differential recievers to the pigtails I have 18 awg wire about 20 feet. Then I have 4 strands of 50 pixels 18 awg connected.
Hopefully all this is correct if so I can tell my wife the show will be possible. If not I'll have to wait till I can scape up some more hobby money.