Author Topic: FPP keeps reverting to eth0  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Macboy

• Kudos: 0
FPP keeps reverting to eth0
« on: July 15, 2019, 11:40:48 PM »
Hello all, good to "meet" you. I'm new to the world of FPP but getting pretty comfortable with things. I seem to be having an issue on my Pi though. On my first install and boot I was plugged into my router with a CAT5 cable and was able to play around with the configuration settings via IP address through a web browser. I then determined I'd like to run wirelessly instead so I reflashed the SD (probably didn't need to do that). I'm able to connect to the Pi through the SSID (FPP) but if I change the settings to wlan it reverts back to eth0 on reboot. I added my Wifi network SSID and password and left it all as DHCP. I don't see the Pi show up on my list of devices on my router the way it does when the CAT5 is plugged in.

Search hasn't revealed any solutions for me just yet.

I'm running iDevices, Mac computers and an Apple Airport router. Please let me know if you need any further detail/info. Kinda perplexed.

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: FPP keeps reverting to eth0
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 01:28:08 AM »
It's probably worth screenshotting the network setup page and sharing in here after you remove the password info.I always change to static IP's as the 1st step after logging into FPP. If you plug FPP into a router or computer that won't give it an IP via DHCP then you won't be able to access it.

Offline Macboy

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 09:26:25 AM »

[size=78%]Here we are. This is what I update the settings to, hit the Update Interface button and then reboot. When it comes back it's switched back to ethernet setting. Sorry for the image size - new forum....need to learn the optimum image size for posts.[/size]

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 09:47:08 AM »
Your wlan0 address is nowhere near your local network, or is it? Is that by choice? If so, there are several other settings that need to be configured.

An IP address has 4 sets of numbers and all devices in your network will normally all have the same first 3 sets of numbers the same. This is your network, the last number will identify the actual device.

It looks like your network is 192.168.0.xxx? But you are setting up your wlan0 to 10.0.1.xxx? Your gateway for the wlan0 is usually on the same network (10.0.1.xxx) as the actual device and the gateway will route the data to the next network if configured properly.

I am not sure what you mean that it switches back to Ethernet setting?

You can connect to a device by either interface, eth0 or wlan0. It will usually default to the best connection.

Do you have a 10.0.1.xxx network created? Do you have Static Routes created to access this network? Or is this your home network and the rest is configured incorrectly?

From the screenshots, it looks like you are accessing the FPP from the Tethering option?

What is your router's IP address?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 09:54:01 AM by Poporacer »
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 11:48:12 AM »
Not sure what you mean it "reverts back to eth0".     BOTH interfaces can be active at the same time.  The config screen only show one at a time and it defaults to showing the eth0 first but that doesn't mean that both aren't active.

Since you are connecting via the tethered SSID, that tells me its not connecting to your home wifi since the tethering mode is "if no connection" which means it only starts up the tethering if it doesn't successfully connect via your other network settings.
-Mark

Offline Macboy

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 11:52:34 AM »
I thought the 10.X.X.X seemed strange but going through the list of all the connected devices on my network they were/are all listed with 10.X.X.X IPs. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what I'm seeing. Up above I see my network SSID, the IP address (129.X.X.X.X) and then a LAN IP Address which is 10.x.x.x. I think I was using the wrong block of IPs. The router IP address is 192.168.0.10. I've just retried using a static IP of 192.168.0.201 (my DHCP range is set from .2 to .200)

I cannot see the Pi on my network once it restarts and cannot ping the above IP address. "Destination Host Unreachable".

I was/am assuming it's reverting back to ethernet because every time I go back in through the FPP's SSID and check the Network Settings eth0 is the one that's selected. Shouldn't it still have wlan0 selected and be displaying the IP address, etc?

Just saw PixelPuppy's response.....I get it. Should I be turning off the tethering option and then rebooting? I know I can hard wire back to the router to turn it back on if I need to.

Offline Macboy

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »
Um......so I just went ahead and did it. Disabled tethering and rebooted. Still no ping response so I looked at my available networks and the FPP was broadcasting again. Logged in and tethering is back on (obviously).

I'm missing something surely super simple here, no? It is the order I'm clicking the buttons or changing the settings?

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »
I like to leave the tethering mode set to "if no connection" which means it won't turn on tethering if it gets a valid network connection via your other network settings.  But if those fail, then it brings up tethering as a back door way to get in.

I have to ask.  Are you clicking the "UPDATE INTERFACE" button after you change any of the settings?  It won't save your changes unless you click the UPDATE button

Also I would initially leave (or reset) both interfaces to DHCP so they get a valid address from your router.    Then you will know for sure which range you should be using for static

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 05:17:44 PM »
I agree with pixelpuppy that you should keep the Tethering option set to "if no connection" as a bit of insurance. It isn't recommended to change the SSID and Password for the tethering mode unless you are using the tethering mode in public. But I would at least change it or your host name so that they are not the same. Not critical but a suggestion. Can you send a screen shot of your router where you say it shows connections to a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx network and include the address bar at the top of the web page?

Then follow the directions pixelpuppy mentioned. Change both your eth0 and wlan0 to DHCP, set your DNS server mode to DHCP click on update interface, then restart network.

Then go to your router connected devices page and show us what it is listing.

Offline Macboy

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 08:31:53 PM »
I'm tempted to start from a fresh image and go through the ethernet here but we shouldn't have changed so much that it's required. I'm game if you think we should start from scratch though.

I assume it's a "time to learn a little networking stuff about Mac and Airport base stations" issue. Here are screen shots of all the IP address bits I can dig up. All I'm seeing here are LAN IP addresses (10.X.X.X).

Offline Macboy

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 08:32:54 PM »
Sorry, still learning how this forum ticks. Those images were all set in at the end of the text......

Offline Macboy

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 09:30:05 PM »
Can I ask a dumb question? Why do I want/need the wireless to work? If the FPP has it's own network that I can tether to from any computer I choose, can I not just transfer files and set things up that way?

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 10:10:49 PM »
Ok, so it looks like you actually have 2 routers in your system? Your home network router and a Mac Airport? I see that your Airport is reporting a Double NAT issue! Pixelpuppy or someone else would be better to help you with this. I think you need to setup the Airport in bridge mode but wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

Were those screenshots after setting everything on the FPP to DHCP?  If so, you have 2 networks and it might have connected to your home network and not the Airport.

Depending on what network you want to connect your FPP to, then it will either be on the 192.168.0.xxx network (It looks like this is your home network) or the 10.0.1.xxx network (your Airport network)

Can I ask a dumb question? Why do I want/need the wireless to work? If the FPP has it's own network that I can tether to from any computer I choose, can I not just transfer files and set things up that way?
The FPP does not have its own network, it can act as an Access Point. If all you are wanting to do is to setup the FPP and transfer files, then, yes you can just use the Tether option, but what is the bigger picture?

How do you plan on setting up your show, what props, what controller, your final network type? Wi-Fi or wired?

Offline Macboy

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 12:01:39 AM »
The bigger picture is still developing. I have a box (or two.....ssssh.....nobody actually counted, did they? ;) full of pixels and bullets, controllers on the way and lots of holes to drill. Completely new to all of this but I've got a local enthusiast that's helping me along. Of course he had no issues setting up FPP yesterday (he's not a Mac guy).

The double NAT is an odd one....it's the recommended setup (direct from Apple support) when your ISP provides you with a modem/router combo. The ISPs hardware gets set to bridge mode and the Airport serves as the wireless network. This "rule" could have changed now...I set up the network five years ago.

For my planned setup - I intend to have one (for now) wired Renard controller running the house-mounted stuff (pixels along house lines, bullets around windows and doors) and then perhaps will be building up some arches and sticks (just sticks, no toppers) either to run off the same controller or other yard mounted ESP sticks or Pis or whatever seems most logical once things start rolling. I'm hoping to build the window frame elements in a modular, magnetically mounted manner so that once the holiday season is over I can easily pop them all down and then reconfigure them throughout the yard. I'm an ice and snow carver and intend on using the lights (and xLights) to build sequences to really light up the display this season (and all seasons to come) INCLUDING running sequence-able lighting in the ice slide. Truth be told I'm more excited about that than the holiday light sequencing. Hahaha Could you imagine shooting down a slide where the lights are shooting UP at you? It'll feel like you're going mach 2!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/sherwood-park-hogwarts-davies-ice-carver-snow-edmonton-1.4524585

https://www.facebook.com/CTVMorningLiveEDM/videos/harry-potter-ice-sculptures/2032563073624553/

https://globalnews.ca/news/4013188/alberta-ice-carver-uses-recent-snowfall-to-create-harry-potter-scene-in-his-front-yard/

https://cisnfm.com/news/4066882/check-out-this-epic-harry-potter-ice-snow-display-in-sherwood-park/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kelly-davies-ice-slide-1.3974853

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/sherwood-park-home-turns-into-winter-ice-palace

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »
If the Airport is reporting a double NAT, then your ISP router/Modem is probably not acting in bridge mode.

You said that a local enthusiast was able to get your FPP setup? So now your issues are resolved?

I think your lighting plans sound great. I used to Ice carvings but not to the extent you are doing it. It was the restaurant style and when I added simple lighting it sure made a difference! I don't live where it is cold enough to do the larger sculptures but just a few miles from me they have a huge festival and Ice Sculptures are a huge part of the festivities https://www.facebook.com/pg/mccallwintercarnival/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2228914337167384&ref=page_internal

Have you considered the Falcon or F series controllers? They are closely integrated with xLights and makes setups and configurations very simple and they are great controllers with great customer service.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:03:47 AM by Poporacer »