Author Topic: FPP keeps reverting to eth0  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Macboy

• Kudos: 0
Re: FPP keeps reverting to eth0
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2019, 09:16:43 AM »
I was watching some Canispater videos last night and one thing he said piqued my interest. He suggested if I was going to have a few of these things (ESPizzelSticks) running I should consider setting up a separate access point. I do have a spare DLink laying around here - should I try that? That gets the Apple part out of the equation.

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2019, 02:40:01 PM »
That sounds like a good ides.  You may have Modem/WiFi issues with Apple Air your Pi that another AP may correct.

What are your plans.  For me, I use Pi as a player hardwired to a router, connected to 2-AP to about 24 ESPixelSticks.  I can connect to my Pi from my home network, so loading files, or playing with setups is easy.  If you can get your Dlink working, maybe someone can help you tie your DLink network to your Apple Network for a full system with internet.

Offline Macboy

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2019, 03:52:40 PM »
I am planning on using the Pi so that I don't need to run a hard wire to a computer to run the shows. So yes - as a player I guess. I do plan on a few ESPixelSticks in my setup for sure. Just don't know exactly where/why/how yet. One of them may well be to shoot over to a few strings on my neighbours house (we have a shared front yard). Another may be used to run random nodes in a cherry sorta tree out front in the middle of it all. There's a big carving right there (12ft tall) that I hope to convert the electronics to being controlled by xLights (EL wire and fibre optics driven by pixel nodes). And then who knows. The sticks are very cost effective for sure. Just thenpower supply question to solve but that should be easy enough if things are mostly centralized around that tree / carving. I have a cubby carved into the base of the carving to house all things electronic.

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2019, 06:33:33 PM »
Think you should consider an outdoor AP to get better range to the neighbors.  I do that and across the street too.  I have a Ubiquiti Picostation M2, but they are discontinued.  Not up to date on a good current day model that does multicast well.

Offline Macboy

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2019, 08:32:33 PM »
I think I'll be okay. The window I would put the DLink in is literally 27 feet from where the ESPixelStick would be mounted on his house. But food for thought regardless. Who knows how big these things can get right? Hahaha

Would you pull an Ethernet cable out of the Airport box or out of the modem? (assuming I'm able to pull from the modem....I'm sure I can - that's where the Airport gets its connection from via Ethernet.)

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2019, 09:29:02 PM »
For sure the modem....avoid the Apple that may be your issue. 

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2019, 09:56:12 PM »
I was out fishing/playing all day. I am glad the manual helped. Not sure if you got things totally resolved, it sounds like you did? Another great option is Dan Kulp's F8PB. I use several of these all connected wirelessly. I can move things around and not worry about cable. I have an older cheap Netgear router in my garage for my show network and I can access my show network from across the street and a few doors down.
I love the enhancements that the developers have put into the Master/Remote setup.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline Macboy

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2019, 10:39:29 PM »
For sure the modem....avoid the Apple that may be your issue.
I'll give that a go....in a week. Busy couple of days ahead and then headed 10 hours west to do a carving. Multitasking it into a family getaway. Thanks to both of you for the help thus far. It wouldn't surprise me if the Airport was a culprit here. We'll find out very soon.

Offline w8one

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2019, 10:33:50 AM »
Oh wow, lets take this one step at a time.

First the double nat warning means two different things on your network are translating network addresses (not typical in a home network). setting your airport to bridge mode, lets the router do network translations airport just makes the connection is the "normal" way its setup. (this will break your network at first because everything will have to be power cycled to get a 10.0.1. ??? instead of i 192.168. ??? ip.)

Second the network mask of 255.255.255.0 mens xxx.xxx.xxx. ??? all my ip's are the same at the x's so only rout traffic that are at the ??? ( this is far from what you have). You have 3 network address going at once. it looks as your main ip is 192.168.0. ??? that the airport is giving wireless address to. The second network is your wired 10.0.1. ??? have a from your isp provided modem router.

Third you set the FPP wlan0 to have a wired (based on the device that's giving the 10.0.1. ??? ip's) ip of 10.0.1.200 . Then you gave it a subnet of 255.255.255.0 meaning ignore the first 3 xxx.xxx.xxx. ??? and only rout the last ??? group of numbers. last you told  the FPP that the person that does the network translation is at 192.168.1.1, you don't have a network on 192.168.(1).1 you have a wireless network (airport) at 192.168.(0).10 and wired at 10.0.1.1 .

According to the first screen shot your connected to wifi aniFPP with a airport address of 192.168.0.1 but your going to 192.168.1.1 for routing info.

I would try FPP wlan0 ip 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.10 ? (your timecapsule shows its ip is 192.168.0.10)

I would also change the Host names in networking so the eth0 is aniFPP-wired and wlan0 is aniFPP-wifi or something so its easier to tell whats working and what is not.

I don't own iAnything so i may have the 192.168.0.??? and the 10.0.1.??? networks backwards but this is my best guess from what has been posted.

PS: I don't know why everywhere i typed ? ? ? it put a emoji but i hope you get the idea.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:46:34 AM by w8one »
Quando omni flunkus moritati

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2019, 12:04:57 PM »
I've reset the Hostname to FPP and set the tethering mode SSID and Pass back to original. Then I cleared my Wifi info, updated and restarted Network and then rebooted the Pi (for good measure). Then tried re-inserting my local SSID and pass, update, restart and again rebooted. Still only showing one IP address up top there.

Do you have the Ethernet cable connected?
I don't think FPP will show both addresses unless it is connected to both networks (which in your case, you might only be connected to one)
How are you getting into the FPP web GUI?
What is the IP  address that is showing?
You mentioned that you are using different devices to get access, stick with one for right now because depending on how the device is connecting to your network, there are additional configuration/settings that will need to be made.
How is the computer you are going to use connected to your network? 
In regards to the Double NAT, I don't think you successfully put your home router into bridge mode. Leave them alone for now.

When you get back, send the responses to the questions, and screenshots of your wlan0 and eth0 settings. I think you are almost there!

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »
First the double nat warning means two different things on your network are translating network addresses (not typical in a home network). setting your airport to bridge mode, lets the router do network translations airport just makes the connection is the "normal" way its setup. (this will break your network at first because everything will have to be power cycled to get a 10.0.1. ??? instead of i 192.168. ??? ip.)
It might be your normal, but there are other issues at hand, setting the Airport to bridge mode might affect attached devices making them unfunctional (devices that require port tunneling such as Apple TV)

So until Macboy gets his FPP connected and running, this should be addressed later,.... one step at a time.

Second the network mask of 255.255.255.0 mens xxx.xxx.xxx. ??? all my ip's are the same at the x's so only rout traffic that are at the ??? ( this is far from what you have). You have 3 network address going at once. it looks as your main ip is 192.168.0. ??? that the airport is giving wireless address to. The second network is your wired 10.0.1. ??? have a from your isp provided modem router.

I don't see where he has 3 network addresses going? He has a 10.0.1.xxx network (this is both wired and wireless) and 192.168.0.xxx (this is also both wired and wireless) He does have issues with his networking and referencing a gateway to a potentially non-existent network (192.168.1.xxx )  and we are working to get there, one step at a time.

Third you set the FPP wlan0 to have a wired (based on the device that's giving the 10.0.1. ??? ip's) ip of 10.0.1.200 .

How can this be a wired network when it is connected to wlan0? Networks are not normally just wired or wireless. Most networks are just networks and you can access them from a wired and/or wireless connection so I am confused at this statement. 10.0.1.xxx is both a wired and wireless network.

Then you gave it a subnet of 255.255.255.0 meaning ignore the first 3 xxx.xxx.xxx. ???
but the subnet of 255.255.255.0 is correct
and only rout the last ??? group of numbers. last you told  the FPP that the person that does the network translation is at 192.168.1.1, you don't have a network on 192.168.(1).1 you have a wireless network (airport) at 192.168.(0).10 and wired at 10.0.1.1 .
Networks are not defined by IP address alone, they are usually a range of IP addresses. You stated that he has a wireless network at 192.168.0.10, how is this a wireless network? 192.168.0.10 is the IP address for the Airport but I don't see any indication that this is a wireless connection, I have a feeling that it is actually a wired connection. The network at 10.0.1.xxx isn't necessarily a wireless network. Some Airports and Base stations have LAN ports. He does have the gateway address set incorrectly, we are getting there......one step at a time.

According to the first screen shot your connected to wifi aniFPP with a airport address of 192.168.0.1 but your going to 192.168.1.1 for routing info.
No, according to his first screenshot, he is connected to the FPP via the FPP tethering option, 192.168.0.1 is not an Airport address, the airport LAN is on the 10.0.1.xxx network. Again, yes the gateway is incorrect, we are getting there, one step at a time.

I would try FPP wlan0 ip 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.10 ? (your timecapsule shows its ip is 192.168.0.10)
No this isn't correct, it will depend on which wireless network he wants to connect to, he has 2. If he wants to connect to his home network (which your setup infers and probably a bad idea) then the gateway probably should be 192.168.0.1.

I would also change the Host names in networking so the eth0 is aniFPP-wired and wlan0 is aniFPP-wifi or something so its easier to tell whats working and what is not.
I am confused, you can only have one host name in FPP and most devices. How a device connects to a network, wired or Wi-Fi doesn't matter, it still only has one Host name and if the network is configured properly you can connect to the device using the host name and it doesn't matter how the device is connected to the network.

Offline w8one

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2019, 10:06:45 PM »
It might be your normal, but there are other issues at hand, setting the Airport to bridge mode might affect attached devices making them unfunctional (devices that require port tunneling such as Apple TV)

So until Macboy gets his FPP connected and running, this should be addressed later,.... one step at a time.

Thats why i said it will break his network. In some cases its possible to set the isp router modem to bridge mode and have the airport do all the work.

I don't see where he has 3 network addresses going? He has a 10.0.1.xxx network (this is both wired and wireless) and 192.168.0.xxx (this is also both wired and wireless) He does have issues with his networking and referencing a gateway to a potentially non-existent network (192.168.1.xxx )  and we are working to get there, one step at a time.

a 192.168.0.1
b 10.0.1.200
c 192.168.1.1

Third you set the FPP wlan0 to have a wired (based on the device that's giving the 10.0.1. ??? ip's) ip of 10.0.1.200 .

How can this be a wired network when it is connected to wlan0? Networks are not normally just wired or wireless. Most networks are just networks and you can access them from a wired and/or wireless connection so I am confused at this statement. 10.0.1.xxx is both a wired and wireless network.

The condition of tethering is no network connection so 10.0.1.200 must have failed to get the 192.168.0.1 ip address at the top of the screenshot. The AirPort utility states its ip is 192.168.0.10 and the lan ip is 10.0.1.1 . I don't have a airport so i am assuming that like a normal router if the router ip is 192.168.0.x that all ips give by the router will be the same 192.168.0.x .

Then you gave it a subnet of 255.255.255.0 meaning ignore the first 3 xxx.xxx.xxx. ???
but the subnet of 255.255.255.0 is correct

The subnet mask is correct if 10.0.1.200 worked and it was reporting to 10.0.1.1 and a gateway of 10.0.1.1 but not for 192.168.1.1 that ip is not in the same network.

and only rout the last ??? group of numbers. last you told  the FPP that the person that does the network translation is at 192.168.1.1, you don't have a network on 192.168.(1).1 you have a wireless network (airport) at 192.168.(0).10 and wired at 10.0.1.1 .
Networks are not defined by IP address alone, they are usually a range of IP addresses. You stated that he has a wireless network at 192.168.0.10, how is this a wireless network? 192.168.0.10 is the IP address for the Airport but I don't see any indication that this is a wireless connection, I have a feeling that it is actually a wired connection. The network at 10.0.1.xxx isn't necessarily a wireless network. Some Airports and Base stations have LAN ports. He does have the gateway address set incorrectly, we are getting there......one step at a time.

Yes networks are defined by the ip address. you can add a layer on top of that by creating a hosts file in windows (i dont know how in mac/linux) by writing a entry that MySuperLights = 192.168.1.100 and when you type http://MySuperLights it will go to 192.168.1.100 for you but it does have to have a ip4 or ip6 address.

My assumption was the 192.168.0.10 address was wireless because the LAN ip is 10.0.1.1 . The double nat condition implies the both the modem/router and the airport are directing devices how to get to the internet and each other.

No, according to his first screenshot, he is connected to the FPP via the FPP tethering option, 192.168.0.1 is not an Airport address, the airport LAN is on the 10.0.1.xxx network. Again, yes the gateway is incorrect, we are getting there, one step at a time.

You are correct I meant that the config that failed was using a gateway of 192.168.1.1 .

No this isn't correct, it will depend on which wireless network he wants to connect to, he has 2. If he wants to connect to his home network (which your setup infers and probably a bad idea) then the gateway probably should be 192.168.0.1.

According to the network utility netstat the computers ip lo0 is 10.0.1.49 so i assumed 10.0.1.x network was the home network and that the isp modem/router ip base is 192.168.0.1 and the airport connects to it at 192.168.0.10 .

I am confused, you can only have one host name in FPP and most devices. How a device connects to a network, wired or Wi-Fi doesn't matter, it still only has one Host name and if the network is configured properly you can connect to the device using the host name and it doesn't matter how the device is connected to the network.

https://falcon-player.gitbooks.io/falcon-player-manual/content/chapter_seven_status__control/network.html

at the bottom of the networking page it says: Note: The hostname is optional. The FPP will allocate a different hostname as required if one is not specified.

On my FPP picaps i set the host names so i can tell which one im on and if i'm on a wired or wireless connection in chrome it puts the host name at the top in the tab. The network page has a place in eth0 and wlan0 to set the host name for each, i assumed that if i was able to change it i was allowed to. This was to make tracking down what is working and not working easier compared to all host names and ssid's set to the same thing.

I didn't mean to confuse or make things worse, i do not have any iDevices so ALL my assumptions are just guesses on my part. sorry for interfering.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:13:30 PM by w8one »

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2019, 12:07:11 AM »
Thats why i said it will break his network. In some cases its possible to set the isp router modem to bridge mode and have the airport do all the work.
But you inferred that things would work if they were power cycled. That isn't the case in some scenarios.

a 192.168.0.1
b 10.0.1.200
c 192.168.1.1
Maybe a matter of semantics, he only has 2 networks and he referenced a non-existent gateway

The condition of tethering is no network connection so 10.0.1.200 must have failed to get the 192.168.0.1 ip address at the top of the screenshot. The AirPort utility states its ip is 192.168.0.10 and the lan ip is 10.0.1.1 . I don't have a airport so i am assuming that like a normal router if the router ip is 192.168.0.x that all ips give by the router will be the same 192.168.0.x .

I still don't see how you can say that setting the wlan0 to 10.0.1.200 is a wired IP address. An IP address is just that, an IP address to a device. You can access this IP address (device) through a wired or wireless connection if setup properly. Most routers have 2 addresses and each one is on different networks. They have the WAN network and the LAN network. A typical home router will have a WAN address pointing to your internet provider's network and a LAN network for your home use and you can access this through wired or wireless connection. The IP address that you mentioned of 192.168.0.xxx would be the LAN side of the router, it still has another WAN IP address that people don't normally see or deal with. The airport utility states its IP is 192.168.0.10 (It doesn't say it but this is its WAN address and connected to his home network of 192.168.0.xxx) It states that its LAN address 10.0.1.1 and any addresses the DHCP server will assign will be in the 10.0.1.xxx network.

The subnet mask is correct if 10.0.1.200 worked and it was reporting to 10.0.1.1 and a gateway of 10.0.1.1 but not for 192.168.1.1 that ip is not in the same network.
It isn't the subnet mask that is wrong here, the subnet mask is almost always 255.255.255.0, yes there are other issues, but the subnet mask is not one of them.

Yes networks are defined by the ip address.
I think you are confused here, you stated that a network is defined by an IP address and that the Airport had a wireless network at 192.168.0.101 ? A network is a group of devices and they each have an IP address and usually only one IP address (and one host name). You can connect to the device through a wired connection or a wireless connection. The airport has a WAN IP address of 192.168.0.101 and a LAN address of 10.0.1.1. If you are connected to the LAN side of the airport, you can reach the airport by entering either IP address, 10.0.1.1, or 192.168.0.101.

of you can add a layer on top of that by creating a hosts file in windows (i dont know how in mac/linux) by writing a entry that MySuperLights = 192.168.1.100 and when you type http://SuperLights it will go to 192.168.1.100 for you but it does have to have a ip4 or ip6 address.

Routers have a DNS server that already does this for you. The Hosts file is only if you want to override what is in the DNS server.

My assumption was the 192.168.0.10 address was wireless because the LAN ip is 10.0.1.1 .

I don't see where you are getting this? How is 192.168.0.10 a wireless network just because the LAN IP was 10.0.1.1? So is your home network a wireless network? Again, an address is just that, an address, it is not a wireless or wired address. Try this, find out what your router's IP address (LAN IP) and hook your computer up to an ethernet cable and type that address (something like 192.168.0.1) and you will connect, then remove the ethernet cable and connect to your Wi-Fi and type the same address, you will connect again. 

According to the network utility netstat the computers ip lo0 is 10.0.1.49 so i assumed 10.0.1.x network was the home network and that the isp modem/router ip base is 192.168.0.1 and the airport connects to it at 192.168.0.10 .

He has two networks, not sure what you are considering his home network, I would call his home network the one that is provided by the ISP provider (192.168.0.xxx). You stated that the computer's ip address was 10.0.1.49 so that would mean that if he wanted to connect to devices with this computer then they would all need to be on the same network, 10.0.1.xxx unless you setup some routing somewhere. You recommended to setup the FPP to the 192.168.0.xxx network and this was wrong based on his current configuration.

https://falcon-player.gitbooks.io/falcon-player-manual/content/chapter_seven_status__control/network.html

at the bottom of the networking page it says: Note: The hostname is optional. The FPP will allocate a different hostname as required if one is not specified.
And this is correct but you can only have one host name.

On my FPP picaps i set the host names so i can tell which one im on and if i'm on a wired or wireless connection in chrome it puts the host name at the top in the tab.

Yes, it is good practice to set the Host Name to something to uniquely identify it.

The network page has a place in eth0 and wlan0 to set the host name for each,
It might look that way but it isn't. On the network page, it is broken into sections, the top section is the wlan0 and eth0 settings and are different for each interface, the Host and DNS settings are the global setting for both interfaces.
i assumed that if i was able to change it i was allowed to. This was to make tracking down what is working and not working easier compared to all host names and ssid's set to the same thing.
Ok, so try to make 2 different host names, one for eth0 and one for wlan0, it won't work. If it does, show me. At the top of the FPP page it will show your connections (so it will show both the wired and wireless IP addresses) if there were 2 host names, then it will show those at the top as well. Whatever the last host name saved will be the host name for that device and you can connect to it from any device on your network whether they are connected wired or wirelessly.

I didn't mean to confuse or make things worse, i do not have any iDevices so ALL my assumptions are just guesses on my part. sorry for interfering.

You weren't interfering, and I don't mind comments at all. I like to educate people as best as I can and I could tell that by your comments that there were things that you were still a little hazy on and I want to make sure you understand them. No harm, no foul. I am writing the FPP manual and it has a section on networking that might clear some things up, I hope anyway. Keep your eyes open for the release of the manual.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 07:42:11 AM by Poporacer »

Offline Macboy

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2019, 02:56:27 PM »
Wow. Smart people here for sure. I appreciate all the efforts! And wisdom. We're back tomorrow so I'll let you know what transpires.

Offline Macboy

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2019, 09:14:15 PM »

Do you have the Ethernet cable connected?

Currently, yes.

I don't think FPP will show both addresses unless it is connected to both networks (which in your case, you might only be connected to one) How are you getting into the FPP web GUI?
On a Mac laptop I'm using a web browser (Chrome) to go to http://fpp.local (Incidentally, on a Win 7 64bit Dell PC laptop I cannot access http://fpp.local - maybe because the Mac laptop is already connected?)

What is the IP  address that is showing?

It's showing Host: FPP (10.0.1.175)

You mentioned that you are using different devices to get access, stick with one for right now because depending on how the device is connecting to your network, there are additional configuration/settings that will need to be made.
I'll stick to the Mac laptop.

How is the computer you are going to use connected to your network? 

Wifi

In regards to the Double NAT, I don't think you successfully put your home router into bridge mode. Leave them alone for now.

Untouched for now ;)