Author Topic: Standalone mode  (Read 428 times)

Offline timm

• Kudos: 0
Standalone mode
« on: July 17, 2019, 03:19:35 AM »
Morning

I am new to you controllers, but not new to LED and all its related stuff, I very impressed so far with the controller, I have many future project that I think that I will be able to use them for.

My questions is about the standalone mode and its functionality. I see that you can create playlists and schedule them etc, but what is it trying to play back is it video, data packet or something else.

I have a video which I would like to play between 0900 and 1500, I have the video I also can generated Art-net or sACN, how do I go about getting the data into the play list?

Thank you in advanced , look forward to hearing from you

Tim

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Standalone mode
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 07:05:40 AM »
The F16v3, in standalone mode, will play xlight FSEQ files out to the lights connected to the controller.

Now, the FSEQ format is picky. It must be in a 20 fps (frames/sec) format, not the faster 40fps.
And, it must be the older, uncompressed format.

Copy those files onto an FAT32 formatted uSD card (32gb or smaller).
Put the uSD card in the slot on the board and power up the F16v3

When in Standalone mode, you can now create playlists and schedules based on the files it sees on that uSD.

Offline timm

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 09:51:06 AM »
Thank you I will take a look at xlight

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 03:09:16 PM »
Vixen can create fseq files too  8)
-Mark

Offline stenerso

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 10:34:12 AM »
I need some help with a standalone issue. I think I successfully tested standalone mode last year, although we did not use it in our display. I am now doing some testing. I believe that the sequence needs to have 50msec timing. has to ver V1 format in xlights. must be a wav file. I believe the wav file needs to be 48k.

I am using Audacity to convert the MP3s to wav format. the options I see there for export are - signed 16 bit PCM, signed 24 bit PCM, and 32 bit float formats. I do not see any choice about 48K.

how can I correctly convert mp3 files to wav format that will work in standalone mode?

sincere thanks.

Offline stenerso

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 12:26:49 PM »
Nevermind.

I worked on it more. I downloaded a free MP3 converter program called Switch - it allowed me to convert to the 48k rate. that worked.

I have been using b018. anyone know if that is the best for stand alone yet?

thanks

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:49:29 PM »
I have been using b018. anyone know if that is the best for stand alone yet?

thanks

b018 worked for me but b022 had more features.

regardless, I'm at v2.5.1 now  (no longer Beta)

https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_cms=9&controller=cms

Offline stenerso

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 05:21:14 PM »
So 2.5.1 is good to go and has stand alone capability?

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 05:28:35 PM »
I'm honestly not sure why you need the standalone stuff...  A $35 Pi/SD card would provide much better "standalone" capabilities.     Much better playlist management, much better ability to edit/upload sequences, much better audio handling, etc...   Plus a TON of feature you likely don't even know you'll need yet.  :)

Offline Dszoka

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 03:48:25 AM »
FYI

Any of the player modes will limit ports to 680 pixels per port....

Offline temeyers

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 12:56:31 AM »
So even in the new non beta release, all of these quirks still apply or am I confused? is there any possibility for v2 support, MP3 support, or the higher fps support ?  Or is this a Processor limitation ?

I threw on a V2 higher FPS file and it seems to be playing but since I didn't convert my mp3 to wav I can't add that part to the playlist (naturally). So im not completely sure if the sequence is playing correctly or if im just seeing interesting blinking.

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 06:18:17 AM »

Most likely it's playing at 1/2 speed.  I believe it ignores the setting in the fseq file and assumes its 50ms.  Thus, it will display each frame every 50ms.

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 12:45:37 PM »
I think the point you are missing is that the F16V3 was not designed to be a Standalone player so the electronics are not there to support the full functionality of a Standalone player. It was designed to be a scaled down player and the controller is fantastic at what it was designed for, far better than anything else on the market.

The Standalone function will work great for some people but not all people. Just like a Humvee wouldn't be a great car for a commuter for everyone. It will get you from point A to Point B but might not be the best way for you.

If you want to use the F16V3 as a standalone player, then you do have some limitations, I won't go into all the limitations as they have been discussed and you are the only one that can decide if running the F16V3 in Standalone is the best solution for you.

But as Dan Kulp stated, for $35 you can add a Pi and get full functionality of everything.

If you use the F16V3 in Standalone there are a few things to consider:
1. You cannot use wireless to add files (.FSEQ, media etc.) to the uSD card. You have to remove the card and put it in a computer to add the files. This could be problematic if your F16V3 is not in a place that is easy to get to.
2. Your pixels per port get reduced.
3. You need a special sound card if you are going to play music from the F16V3

There are other limitations, but those are some to consider.
there are no 2 shows that are identical and no one correct way as there are many ways to accomplish the same thing. The best way is what works for you.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.