Author Topic: Help with setup for new P5 panels?  (Read 129 times)

Offline Stormyblade

• Kudos: 1
Help with setup for new P5 panels?
« on: July 21, 2019, 01:57:02 PM »
Okay, my pre-sale shipment arrived this week and I am trying to set up both my Tune To and large matrix panels. I started with the Tune To group as that is only 4 panels and much easier to test. However, I'm getting "striping" - the top half of each of the 4 panels lights up, but the bottom half does not. I think I recall reading (or having a similar issue a couple years ago) about a bad ribbon cable, so I've swapped them all out and I still have the problem across all 4 panels. Is there something that's different from a 10 to P5 panel setup using a BBB/Octo and FPP?

I've included a screen capture of my setup within FPP.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
Re: Help with setup for new P5 panels?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 02:08:57 PM »
You most likely have 1/16 scan panels, not 1/8.   I would try changing that setting.

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 02:28:48 PM »
Are you really splitting up the outputs (5 and 8 )? I don't know if the outputs need to be contiguous or not
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline Stormyblade

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 02:56:03 PM »
I tried setting them to 1/16th - same issue.

I had them originally on outputs 1 & 2. I was going to do 1-4, one for each panel, but I was simply trying to get them tested before I made final setup tweaks.

Offline Stormyblade

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 02:58:44 PM »
Okay...wow...I said same issue...so I set them back to 1/8th...save, restart, didn't fix. Go back to 1/16th, save, restart...full panels!

Thank you Dan! (Maybe my first 2-3x of trying to save just never "took"?   :o [size=78%])[/size]

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 6
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 03:49:03 PM »
Are you really splitting up the outputs (5 and 8 )? I don't know if the outputs need to be contiguous or not
No issue there at all.  I have done that in several different ways using several different types of hardware.  Currently my P10 panel is using outputs 1, 3, & 5 on a PocketScroller on top of a Pocket Beagle.  Previously I have used non-contiguous outputs on an Octoscroller on a Beaglebone Black, and on ColorLight cards.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 04:12:39 PM »

It's not a real "issue" as it will work fine.  However, the timing calculations are based on uses each of the ports in continuously.  Thus, the refresh MAY be slightly lower.  That said, it won't be noticable with 2 panels per output.

Offline Stormyblade

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 06:57:25 PM »
This is only for my Tune To matrix anyway, so any possible refresh issues would not be noticeable.   ;)

Edit: However, now I know what exact settings to use for my larger matrix, and that I need to try to group the outputs as smartly as possible. It's a 5x4 matrix and I'll be using a BBB/Octo to drive that one as well.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 07:11:39 PM by Stormyblade »