Author Topic: Next Years Academy  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Next Years Academy
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 08:16:41 PM »
Thanks, Jerry!

For all, the original posting from MyKroft came from a source other than Ray Wu.

Here is Ray Wu's link for the same product... note the price is 10% higher.  (I've worked with Ray in the past, so the 10% is acceptable for me.)

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/P10-rgb-SMD-3in1-full-color-indoor-LED-Display-screen-unit-board-32-16pixels-320mm-160mm/701799_866772137.html
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »
While i would gladly support Ray in a heart beat, but the price difference is $20.60 on just one unit - unit price + shipping - don't know how the other store can ship some much cheaper than Ray when from the same area.

If he will match shipping - then I would go with him - but the other store has the mounting brackets, mag connectors etc - so time will tell

Tony

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 09:33:40 PM »
We are doing a bulk buy in northern texas.  last year's bulk buy saved 66% off the initially quoted price.  since shipping will often exceed the price of the product, so the bulk buys make great sense.

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 07:42:16 AM »
Not saying Ray is the best but as soon as you start mixing lights up from different suppliers and chips ... You will quickly end up with a bunch of mismatched stuff you don't like .   Bulk buys makes so much sense because of shipping.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 09:25:06 AM »
as it is right now, nothing we have at Falcon can drive these standard FU75 16 pin interface boards, so if Falcon jumps in, it would be a new board.  These are the same interface the ones AdaFruit sells at a higher price as well as Ray.

Tony

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 02:20:06 PM »
Trying to find the message... I recall someone (Mykroft? Captain? ...) said they planned to add support for these boards:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/P10-rgb-SMD-3in1-full-color-indoor-LED-Display-screen-unit-board-32-16pixels-320mm-160mm/701799_866772137.html

I hope to have a bunch arrive soon, and was looking to see if I had to look into another option to drive these panels.

thx!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 03:00:56 PM »
Pretty sure those panels are intended to be driven by a DVI and now HDMI input. Their pixel count would become overwhelming for our style of programming.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 03:57:11 PM »
You will want to look up Ron on diychristmas.org. He has his own forum over there. He has been working with FPGA's to control these.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
Jerry Plak

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 10:24:50 PM »
Thanks guys!  I have reached out to Ron to get his thoughts.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »
Thanks guys!  I have reached out to Ron to get his thoughts.

Follow-up...

Ron has controllers that will drive several P10 panels, and he was planning to put together a larger solution for next year.  With my request, Ron is putting together a custom-made solution that is more like a beta of his planned solution.  It uses FPGA, costs a couple hundred $, and drives up to 36 panels.  It uses e1.31 and works with nutcracker.

I'm still waiting on my panels to arrive... we have a large bulk-buy coming from Ray.

I'm toying around with how the panels will be configured.  if they arrive in time, I'd like to have them placed end-to-end (32 or 36 in a row) along a wall and have flame effects and some ghouls that skim along the wall.

For christmas I might configure them in a square matrix, or more of a wide-screen format for more traditional video.