Author Topic: Default Video Output Device  (Read 113 times)

Offline SCUBA

• Kudos: 0
Default Video Output Device
« on: August 11, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
Is this normal?

This may be an old observation but if I don't have the HDMI plugged in or IF Default Video Output Device is not SET to Disable.  The FPP will Rapidly goes thru the playlist of MP4 files (less then a second on each one) until it comes to a mp3 file, plays it and then continues, rinse and repeat.  over and over. 

Interesting observation: If I disable HDMI, the playlist will be stopped several sequences later.  If I plug in a HMDI cable and Enable HDMI in settings (default video output device), then it appears that the Pi will continue to play sequences...still playing (no pun intended) with this!

FPP: V3.0
Pi: 3B+
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:37:01 PM by SCUBA »

Offline cccale

Re: Default Video Output Device
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 10:55:05 PM »
I think I've been fighting a similar problem.  In most cases if a sequence also has an associated .mp4, it will skip right over it.  I'm still playing with the scenario (so i'm not sure this is 100% correct) If I unplug the HDMI cable, plug the HDMI cable in again then reboot then it seems to work.

Let me know if you find anything else.

Did you open a ticket on git for this?

Offline SCUBA

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 08:44:23 AM »
I've not made a thorough examination of the problem.  But yes with the HDMI port empty the MP4 files will not play; I've just kept a spare HDMI cable plugged in.    It's working well.  I currently have been running the Pi straight for over a day without any issues.  Note: I've had to re-boot the Pi several times for various unrelated reasons.

v. 3.0 has several development issues still but they are more cosmetic than serious.

I've also figured a way to make the routing commands to be persistent on the Mac.  The Proxy tools is not working properly and I needed a way to talk to the E680 and E682's I'm using.

Offline cccale

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 11:31:13 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  I hooked up my hdmi projector, rebooted and now it seems to work fine now.

Offline SCUBA

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 06:26:51 AM »
This may sound a bit strange, but I just plugged in the HDMI cable WITHOUT anything connected to the other side.  Works great.  I was using a monitor (HMDI) but had to move the Pi to a remote location because all the controllers were there.  I'm about 40 feet from the Pi and communication thru a WiFi connection.  I've been running it for 3 days straight without any issues.