Author Topic: PocketBeagles and PocketScroller Issues  (Read 81 times)

Offline blmatrix13

• Kudos: 0
PocketBeagles and PocketScroller Issues
« on: August 13, 2019, 08:32:35 PM »
I am stuck and could use a little help.  First, let me explain my setup.
  • PocketBeagle attached to a PocketScroller running FPP v3.0
  • 3 P5 panels - 1 on each port of the PocketScroller  - 1 through 3
  • I have this setup done on two different matrices
I have been doing testing and I can get the PocketBeagles to power up just fine.  I can connect to them and make updates.  They are setup identical besides their IP addresses, host names and channel ranges. 

One Beagle powers up, sits there for a bit and then completely powers itself off after about 2 minutes (no data being sent to it).  The other Beagle powers up and will play with data going to it for about a minute, then powers itself off. 

I had originally thought this was a power issue to the Beagles so I increased the wire gauge (no change) then put them on their own power supply (no change) since the P5's share a power feed to the Beagles. 

I have also reflashed the SD cards and done clean installs, still no change.

Could anyone share any insight on what I may have going on?  I am at a loss and not really sure where to go from here.

Thanks!

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
Re: PocketBeagles and PocketScroller Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 05:13:54 AM »
Double check the power supply voltage when everything is up and running.   This sounds like it's right around 4.7-4.8 volts.  The beagle have a very narrow range (4.8-5.1 ish) and if it dips below 4.75 or so, they will shut down.   

Offline blmatrix13

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 07:40:20 PM »
Thanks Dan!  I measured and one was at 4.6 and was at 4.7.  There was a lot of voltage drop across the cable I was using between power supplies.  I have a Meanwell power supply being delivered tomorrow so I will see if that changes anything.

I will report back.

Thanks!

Offline blmatrix13

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 04:21:58 PM »
That fixed the issue.  Were back up and running! I guess I connections were too long and caused too much voltage drop.

Thanks Dan!