Author Topic: Raspberry Pi questions  (Read 10423 times)

Offline 11Bravo

• Kudos: 0
Re: Raspberry Pi questions
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 03:34:06 PM »
I was trying to make out the connector slot where the card went on the B+ (but I couldn't get a birds eye view from the picture of the B+ model)  and my was thinking if one had to use the adapter then what would be the difference and wouldn't have to do another order. 
Anyway wishful thinking.

Offline sabie

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 07:51:31 PM »
goes on bottom of card b+ requires no adapter uses micro sd card

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 07:54:45 PM »
But you will probably need the adapter to do the software build on your computer.  I have yet to see a computer that has a microSD card slot built into it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 10:48:37 PM »
I have a USB to SD adapter - one SD slot and one mSD slot :)

Tony

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »
Mykroft,Chris; I have found it confusing to have the latest 0.4 version but the title on the home page says 0.3 is there a reason the title on the home page does not show the 0.4? I think going to the about page to see what I am really running could be confusing to people. I know it is not officially relapses but I still think seeing 0.4 beta on the home page would be closer to what we mig
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
OK thanks, Raspberry came today, but had to reorder a micro sd card after I found out I ordered the wrong on the Raspberry order.

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »
I finally got all the needed hardware in. I followed these, instructions,  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,483.0.html.
I didn't have a Ethernet cable plugged because I didn't see that in the steps of installation.
I plugged in some speakers and got a lot of noise after it powered up. Green led flashes.
I could barely hear the computer voice message over the racket coming from the speakers.  It went something like this, "Boot mode flash media is missing, please insert". I didn't see that in the installation instructions either.

I unplugged the Pi.

Then I come to the Falcon web site and notice there is a v0.4.0 beta instructions for the Pi B+. http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,1111.0.html 

I guess I must have wrote the wrong software to the MSD.
Do I need to reformat the MSD and write the v0.4.0 beta version to it?

And why am I experiencing all this noise from the speakers. And when am I supposed to insert a flash media stick and hook up to Ethernet cable?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:51:10 PM by 11Bravo »

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 10:52:03 PM »
flash and sd card should be inserted when you start.

short summary
1) format sd card using SDFormatter.exe. Click on option and click "FULL", "Format Size Adjustment" set to ON
2) Download latest Falcon Player software and unzip onto your SD card
3) Put sd card into your pi. install usb card
4) Power up raspberry pi without an ethernet cable. You need to have teh cable unplugged the very first time of booting system.
5) After some time (5-20 minutes), i power it off and attach ethernet cable.
6) ON reboot you should hear an announcement on the speakers from the pi of the ip address
7) go to web page and type "fpp/" into a browser

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 11:27:21 PM »
Ok thanks,  I did steps 1, 2, & 3 except for the part of inserting usb card.  I guess v0.4.0 is the latest.  I'll work on reformatting and loading v0.4.0 that and get back with results.

But still don't understand why all the noise I was getting like 60 cycle noise. The speakers are new out of the box logic tech.  I even tried my iphone ear plug speakers with same result.

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 12:58:20 AM »
Reformatted and copied fies to micro sd card. installed micro sd card and flash drive. powered back up.  waited a while like 16 minutes. Removed power, plugged in Ethernet cable. Repowered. heard ip address. 192.168.0.10
Tried to access with laptop with wifi enabled. No go. disabled wifi.  Enable local area connection Broadcom fast Ethernet. No go again.  2am going to bed.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 07:18:43 AM »

But still don't understand why all the noise I was getting like 60 cycle noise. The speakers are new out of the box logic tech.  I even tried my iphone ear plug speakers with same result.

I have two Pi "B"s.  Not B+  When I first got them, the audio plug did not want to go all the way in and I got huge noise (60 cycle). I pushed harder and it clicked into place. No noise now. Very quiet, both with headphones, speakers or into my EDM FM transmitter.

The B+ combines the Composite Video with the audio jack, making proper insertion even more critical.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 07:51:51 AM »
Reformatted and copied fies to micro sd card. installed micro sd card and flash drive. powered back up.  waited a while like 16 minutes. Removed power, plugged in Ethernet cable. Repowered. heard ip address. 192.168.0.10
Tried to access with laptop with wifi enabled. No go. disabled wifi.  Enable local area connection Broadcom fast Ethernet. No go again.  2am going to bed.

If this is the only IP  you are hearing then it means that the OS was not able to get an IP from your DHCP server and our scripts started up a fallback IP address.  Is 192.168.0.10 the network that the rest of your computers are on?   You can type "ipconfig /all" at a cmd prompt if you are not sure.
-
Chris

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 08:51:53 AM »
My home network is on 192.168.0.1

I tried ipconfig, but it on flashes on the screen momentarily then disappears, too fast to read.

I am trying to access the Pi from the laptop. Since I couldn't access it with wifi enabled, I disabled it and enabled Broadcom fast Ethernet port. But I keep getting a message that I am not connected to the network. That's when I gave up last night.
I going to try it with both the wifi and Ethernet port  enabled.

Oh, the 60 cycle noise went away after I booted the Pi up with the usb flash stick inserted.  Maybe just a coincidence though.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:10:59 AM by 11Bravo »

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 09:19:41 AM »
I tried it again.  the green led on the Ethernet plug is flashing like it is talking to the Pi, but I still get message 192.168.0.10.
I tried something different this time. I went to command prompt and typed in ipconfig and I got the configuration. I'll try to insert that snip of the screen if I can.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/klhxywogntqyzcg/ipconfiguration.JPG?dl=0
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:45:35 AM by 11Bravo »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »
From the command prompt, can you 'ping' the Pi?

ping 192.168.0.10

You should get back a few lines saying if it worked or timed out.

How are you trying to access FPP?  If the ping works, can you try pointing your web browser at http://192.168.0.10/ if you haven't already?   That will bypass any name resolution, etc. to connect to the web server on the Pi.