Author Topic: Ras Clock  (Read 3231 times)

Offline 11Bravo

• Kudos: 0
Ras Clock
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:45:30 PM »
I'm going to order a Ras Clock, when I do, do I need to order a cable also, or does the clock board mount/attach to the raspberry somehow without a cable?

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
Re: Ras Clock
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »
RasClock will plug directly into the Pis header.  No cable needed unless something is there already

Tony

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:54:13 PM »
Thanks
what's that header used for?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:16:31 PM by 11Bravo »

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 09:12:52 PM »
There is the FPD (Falcon Pixelnet/DMX) controller that plugs into the port, also the F16v2 can plug directly into the port by stacking the Pi under it.

If you are going to use E.131 or USB outputs, then you wont have anything plugged into the header and can put the RasClock direct on top of the Pi.  The FPD has a expansion header that can be used, same as the F16v2

Tony

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 09:41:33 PM »
Ok, thanks for explanation, I have been searching the past few hours for more information about the Raspberry, but I have not had any luck.

I finally made out the small print on the PCB for the Display and the Camera.

I plan to use the Ethernet E1.31 port to get data to the show router which in turn will send data wirelessly to the router that the E682 will be plugged into.

And I will use a USB port to attach the explorer board and Xbee to, to communicate with the Xbee's on the Renard controllers.

I bought a USB WiFi adapter when I bought the Raspberry. I guess I don't need it. I don't know why I bought it. I'm sure I didn't understand what I was doing or what I needed.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:38 PM »
If your show network is separate from your home lan, you can talk to the pi via its wireless adapter - which will keep your home network clear of traffic for the light controllers - that I how I access mine, I have home network, show network, and access my Pi via its wireless interface.

tony

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 10:58:12 PM »
Yes the show routers and home network are on different routers with different addresses.
Are you using a laptop with wifi to talk to the Pi.   I do have a laptop. Which I am on at the present.

Offline PittFan

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 06:16:12 AM »
Sorry to highjack the tread but I'm not much of a network guy.

How much does running the show on the home network slow down the network for other users/devices?

How does one create a Home network and another network for the FPP?  I understand separate routers but as I only have one cable into the home with a modem attached, how do I create another network that can access the internet?

Is the show network limited to the home only (no internet access) running on a standalone wireless router?

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 08:06:32 AM »
It might be better for the community if you start a new thread on something like How do I make a Show Network or something to that effect.  That way when someone else is searching for the same, they will arrive at that thread, instead of it being hidden in this thread.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 10:04:28 AM »
Yes the show routers and home network are on different routers with different addresses.
Are you using a laptop with wifi to talk to the Pi.   I do have a laptop. Which I am on at the present.

Anything can access it, I have laptop that is wireless, desktop that is wired and my Samsung tablet that is wireless.  My 2nd network is a seperate router that has wireless that I have setup to allow access to any device on that network, but its data stays on that network (broadcast traffic etc).  It pluggs into my main network so I can get access to its devices thry its gateway ip that I assigned the 2nd router

Tony

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
In my case since I only have one e1.31 device I don't have a second router.  My device is directly connected to the pi by the wired port and then I have a wireless adapter in the pi connected to my home network that allows me to mange it, pi can access the internet, and the show data doesn't touch my home network.

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »

You only need to talk to the Pi from another computer only when setting it up, is that correct?

I was going to keep the networks separate to prevent having problems with each other.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 03:15:04 PM »
Ya to setup, monitor or manual start a sequence.  Once setup you don't have to access unless you want to change something

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »
I have been searching for a site where I could buy both the Clock module and the B+ case together to combine shipping.   MCM is the only site that I found that has both, but the tech I talked to says that as far as he knows the clock that fits the Pi B+ model is on order and will be approx. 57 days before they receive them. He is not sure that the clock module that they have in stock will work with the Pi B+ model.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 10:16:26 PM »
There is no different in a far as clock modules for the B or B+  - they fit on the header the same

Try AdaFruit

Tony