Author Topic: 3.0.21 Pre Release, can set starting channel of each string  (Read 1294 times)

Offline smeighan

• Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
Just for this board and not for general release./

FrankR has added the ability to set the starting channel of each string in the Model setup.

Steve Gase; This will now handle having your strings be in hybrid mode. You can skip the first 3 channels of each string
JonB; This ability would solve the universe split issue with the Falcon-16. Just pick the string that spil the 3rd univers and move it so it starts on a universe bounday.

If anyone can do some additional testing, Frank would appreciate it.

To help setup hybrid strings i made a spreadsheet to calculate the starting channels.

http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/tutorials/channel_calculator.xls

There is another feature in ver 21 (Not yet implemented) where Frank is going to allow your wrapping of strings to start in any of the four corners.

thanks Frank
Thanks all

sean
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline pk

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 1
Re: 3.0.21 Pre Release, can set starting channel of each string
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 08:35:32 AM »
Thanks Sean.   NC keeps getting better with each release. 

Will the wrapping of the strings starting in any corner also include wrapping clockwise / counter-clockwise?

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 08:40:35 AM »
That's great news!  Thanks Frank and Sean!
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 117
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »
I'll download Ver 21 this evening and have a look (stupid day job gets in the way).

Also, to let you know, I've changed my big matrix layout thinking again. Good thing it is July and not November!!!

I'm now planning to make 3 identical panels of plywood. Each one will have 9 flex strips in 18 rows. That will fill an 8ft by 2ft panel. This is in the interest of storability. Then, on a 2x4 back-frame similar to what was at The Academy, each panel will attach, forming my 72p by 54p matrix. Classic 4:3 ratio.

Gone is the superwide 126pix matrix ID. It just didn't display graphics as well as I wanted. Great for text, but too skinny for good graphics.

Being able to control each channel start will definitely avoid the universe concern. In fact, with my 3 panel design, each panel could be in its own Pixelnet Universe (72x18x3 = 3888 and that is less than 4096).

David - you may be interested - I plan to make another set of PVC poles to add to the bottom of the matrix you used. If I add 6 more poles (2 strings), it will also be my desired 4:3 ratio. If you haven't made any trial models in Nutcracker, you will find that pictures/movies really do fit that ratio better.  Of course, 16:9 is desirable for wide screen, but the numbers don't work as well.

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »
If NC recoginzes window corners, I would be willing to "donate" my current effects to the library.  Granted, they're written in Python, but I bet the user parameters would be similar.  We may need to discuss offline or in a different thread.

Steve

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:01:33 AM »
I did install V21 and modified my large matrix model.
Since it is still greater than 2 pixelnet universes, I did put each panel of 3888 channels (72x18x3) in its own universe.
Semi-wasteful, I suppose.

I may recalculate to close the gaps but still restart at a new string for channels 4097 and 8193.

As far as testing, though, I'm still a few days from a "lights on" test.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:04:06 AM »
It does seem like this new update (with strings not necessarily continuous/contiguous) is a stepping stone toward building a big panel out of smaller panels.