Author Topic: Testing with Renard  (Read 15835 times)

Offline FIRECOP252

• Kudos: 1
Testing with Renard
« on: September 27, 2014, 11:37:02 AM »
Just curious if anyone has done any testing with the FPP and Renard since either the 0.3.0 update or the 0.4.0 update.  I havent played with the Pi in a couple of months due to work stuff but am trying to get back to getting going.  I did put a video set up on the scheduler the other day and it kicked on no problems and ran the video for the sequence with no problems so I know using MP4 wont be an issue for the audio part of it and having the video.

Was just wondering if anyone has tested any of the Renard controllers with the FPP and is there any bits of advise that might keep other people from scratching their head when they go to do setup or testing? 

I will be trying to start testing mine hopefully sometime this weekend(if I can get off work) to see if I have any issues. 

I do know one thing that Matt and Capt did point out in an earlier thread is the fact that you wont see Com "X" for a port but with the Linux it will be something like TTYUSB0.  Just something to look out for. 

What else have you all found?  I know there will be TONS of folks wanting to use the FPP with the Renard when someone explains how easy it is to use.  I hope to try to help some folks understand it over at DIYC or anywhere else I can.
LANCE

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: Testing with Renard
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »
There was a big fix that went into the v0.4.0 Renard code so I know some people have been looking at it and testing recently.

Another thing to keep in mind is to start FPP with all the dongles plugged in, they may change order if you add them one by one or if you add them without rebooting.  This is due to the way that the ports are scanned at boot time and com port ID's assigned.
-
Chris

Offline gdyrdave

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 08:31:58 PM »
Renard for me has been working flawlessly for quite some time. I use an ftdi usb to komby RF1 transmitter, but have tested with a usb to 485 dongle(generic) and an RS232 dongle direct to a renard controller. As Chris pointed make sure you get the correct USBtty port correct if you multiple interfaces(usb).

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 11:14:32 PM »
Do these USB devices have some sort of unique identifier for each device.  So it can be configed to a unique device - mapped to a possible changing tty?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »
Do these USB devices have some sort of unique identifier for each device.  So it can be configed to a unique device - mapped to a possible changing tty?

With a little work, we should be able to get this info using the serial number.

Here is part of the "lsusb -v " output for 3 FTDI-based devices:

Lynx USB Dongle:
Bus 004 Device 005: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
  iSerial                 3 DPB3LH60

$7 eBay special:
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
  iSerial                 3 A9XQFZB7

Another $7 eBay special from the same vendor:
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
  iSerial                 3 A9XRISQJ

If you can figure out how to map a /dev/ttyUSBx back to a particular USB device so we can get the serial number, then we can do something about using the serial numbers to track changes.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 12:19:17 AM »
Will do some digging

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 04:40:51 AM »
There was a big fix that went into the v0.4.0 Renard code so I know some people have been looking at it and testing recently.

Another thing to keep in mind is to start FPP with all the dongles plugged in, they may change order if you add them one by one or if you add them without rebooting.  This is due to the way that the ports are scanned at boot time and com port ID's assigned.

OK thanks Capt.   So we would be better off to use the v0.4.0 then.  I did get a chance to hook up my B+ last night and confirmed the sound issue everyone is hearing so i will use my B model this year.  I will just have to change from 0.3.0 to the 0.4.0 and use a powered USB port which I already have.(thought I might be able to use the B+ and not have to have a USB dongle)  No biggie though if they figure it out I can always switch over.

I hope to test my Renard tonight on the B when I get home from work.  Also want to check my FM02 to see how it sounds. 

Thanks for the info guys!!!

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 04:43:37 AM »
Renard for me has been working flawlessly for quite some time. I use an ftdi usb to komby RF1 transmitter, but have tested with a usb to 485 dongle(generic) and an RS232 dongle direct to a renard controller. As Chris pointed make sure you get the correct USBtty port correct if you multiple interfaces(usb).

Is there a way to tell which port will be used for which interface.   Say you have something like 350 channels of Renard and you dont want more than I think its 286 on one bank....you would want to put the rest on a second bank.   Is there a way to tell which port goes to which set of controllers?

Offline gdyrdave

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 06:58:13 AM »
It depends which usb dongle gets initialized first. I had 2 at one time and the only I figured it out was to disable one and see where the led on the dongle was flashing. Then I knew which dongle was was on what port. It didn't change after I assigned that port renard or DMX. Now I am only using 1 dongle on 2 pi's. I will go back to using 2 on 1 again. I did this to test multi sync.

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »
ok...got one of my SS16's hooked up to my Pi and it is playing a fseq sequence,  I have my output settings set up as Renard/ channels 1-248/ 57600 baud rate and I have my Edimax wireless plugged into one of the USBs and I have a powered 4 port USB hub in the other.   

1-I am not getting any output to the Renard controller using a USB to 485 Dongle

2-Should I not be seeing more that 1 port since I have a 4 port hub.  Also plugged into the hub is my flashdrive storage also.

should I be seeing other ports on the FPP page?

Offline mindtrik

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
You should reboot after plugging in the USB device. . Also after you add an output..reboot or restart the fpp service

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
  • Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 11:14:50 PM »
ok...got one of my SS16's hooked up to my Pi and it is playing a fseq sequence,  I have my output settings set up as Renard/ channels 1-248/ 57600 baud rate and I have my Edimax wireless plugged into one of the USBs and I have a powered 4 port USB hub in the other.   

1-I am not getting any output to the Renard controller using a USB to 485 Dongle

2-Should I not be seeing more that 1 port since I have a 4 port hub.  Also plugged into the hub is my flashdrive storage also.

should I be seeing other ports on the FPP page?

1. Is "Act" selected in your output config, and as mindtrik stated, did you re-start FPPD after making your changes?

2. The 4-port hub allows you to plug in 4 devices, but that doesn't mean you should see 4 devices unless you actually have 4 plugged in.  Think of it this way.  On your Windows computer that probably has 4-6 USB ports, you don't have any COM ports until you plug in devices.  It's the same in linux.

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 06:13:25 AM »
Hey Mindtrik and Matt

I did reboot twice just to make sure after all my USB were plugged in.

The "act" which I was assuming meant Active IS checked.

As for the 4 port hub, I was kind of thinking along those lines Matt but just wasnt sure since it was Linux and wanted to be clear on that.

I am pretty familiar with the SS Renard stuff and I even double checked my shunts for different variations of hook up.   I even hooked the SS board up to a regular COM on my PC and ran a sequence through Vixen just to make sure the board was working properly  (never know after being put up for a year)  had no issues with that board cycled fine.

I know this sounds goofy but I have always had issues with the whole RS232 and 485 stuff.  I am thinking maybe this is a connection issue with my dongle.  Riddle me this...I have a dongle that says USB to 485 but the end of it looks more like a DB9 port connection which I am assuming is more to do with RS232.  Could it be that I am trying to output RS232 with this dongle and I need RS485?  Or am I way off base? 

Thanks for you guys help in this....was pretty down about the show this year and the FPP got me excited again and is getting me going.  Cant wait to see it work with the Renard!!!!

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 06:37:54 AM »
Also another item....Could I not just plug into the Cat5 Slot in the PI to get a signal since I am going from 485 to 485(I am assuming 485 is the cat5 signal,I might be wrong though) or is that plugin only for internet purposes?

Also do I NEED a powered USB hub using a B...I got it because I thought I read somewhere here about the 1 amp the PS carries and you need more with multiple USBs?   Just curious.

Offline gdyrdave

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 07:44:25 AM »
Only for ethernet. Not 485 for controllers.