Author Topic: Introducing the Falcon NEO (PI Matrix Board)  (Read 31156 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Introducing the Falcon NEO (PI Matrix Board)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 05:57:43 AM »

Updated layout with routing. Also I choose the name Jon Back suggested. I liked it, so did MyKroFt.

Cool! Now I wait for the royalty checks to come pouring in. >:D

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 06:04:12 AM »
LOL.

I added buffer chips to handle longer ribbon cable lengths. Same chips different footprint as the ones used on Falcon16v1 boards.

[attachment deleted by admin]
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 06:10:42 AM »
David, that looks like 100% surface mount (maybe not the power connections and the sockets/connectors). Is that a first for you?

second question - the FPGA chip - how does it get programmed? 

oops - answered my own question with a google search:

Spartan-6 FPGAs use CMOS Configuration Latches (CCLs) to enable configurable interconnects between routing lines and logic cells. Spartan-6 FPGAs are volatile devices - they do not retain their configuration when power is removed. To configure a Spartan-6 FPGA, you must reinitialize the CCLs inside the FPGA each time power is cycled.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:17:58 AM by JonB256 »

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 06:24:37 AM »
David, that looks like 100% surface mount (maybe not the power connections and the sockets/connectors). Is that a first for you?

second question - the FPGA chip - how does it get programmed?

This is the third Christmas board that is mostly surface mount. The Falcon16v2 Phy board and Falcon16v2 FPGA board were the first.

The PI will program the FPGA with SPI port using the FPGA's "Serial Slave" mode. This will happen during initialization of FPP if the board is detected.  Basically the PI brings the PROG_B pin low to place FPGA in program mode then clocks the configuration file into the FPGA. This method will allow the FPGA configuration bit file to be upgraded in the field by uploading new file to FPP's repo. the user will not have to do anything except do a manual or auto upgrade of FPP.

My new oven and oven controller came yesterday. I also have made a vacuum pick and place tool. These boards should be easier than through hole boards for me to build. No bending and cutting leads. I have also ordered stencils for Falcon16v2 boards.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 06:34:56 AM »
One more pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 07:08:28 AM »
Looks like (I'm holding a Raspberry Pi B in front of the graphics) that your mounting holes will match both B and B+ if you want to use Stand-Offs for a solid mount.

One of the reasons I'm looking at this so closely is that I've had multiple business owners (3) in my city ask about how much a window advertising display would cost. They've seen my Matrix at Halloween and Christmas and know it is physically too large, but they are put off by the cost of a Daktronics system. The cost of a nice frame, 6 or 8 or 12 P6 or P10 panels, a Pi and Falcon NEO would be very low. Software cost is nothing. Support would be a negotiable expense :)  The tighter everything can fit together in a neat package, the better it would be received.

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 09:20:56 AM »
Looks like (I'm holding a Raspberry Pi B in front of the graphics) that your mounting holes will match both B and B+ if you want to use Stand-Offs for a solid mount.

One of the reasons I'm looking at this so closely is that I've had multiple business owners (3) in my city ask about how much a window advertising display would cost. They've seen my Matrix at Halloween and Christmas and know it is physically too large, but they are put off by the cost of a Daktronics system. The cost of a nice frame, 6 or 8 or 12 P6 or P10 panels, a Pi and Falcon NEO would be very low. Software cost is nothing. Support would be a negotiable expense :)  The tighter everything can fit together in a neat package, the better it would be received.

Humm maybe a plastic shield under Falcon NEO board  ;)
Jerry Plak

Offline Frankr

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
    • Rocklin Lights
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 09:33:49 AM »
Do you have a timeline for doing beta testing of this? I would love to volunteer to do some testing of this.

Just need to know when I need to have panels ready to test with  8)

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 09:43:13 AM »
If you need something that is static they make the board that is in the videos I posted.  It runs the display from a USB stick and comes with the software for the business angle.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline arw01

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 09:44:44 AM »
Pretty impressive, had no idea the price on those types of panels had fallen so much.  What are you guys doing to encase them and put them outside?

I have way more that the cost of 6 panels doing up a simple 10x51 coro matrix with nodes and it just does not have the resolution I had wanted.  Going 32 high and 64 wide or 96 wide would under $200 with shipping and if you ordered from the aliexpress supplier less than that.

Probably be all in around $300 you suppose for controller, some sort of framing, front and back plexi or lexan protection?

Alan

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 09:44:52 AM »
I am ordering boards in a day or two. It will take 12 days to get them. I will do some preliminary tests to make sure the board works then I will hopefully make a few boards available for testing.  I would say a month or less.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »
David forgot to mention,  with the line driver chips added it only now supports 16x32 size led boards and not the 32x32 which are much more expensive.  You can still get the same size layouts with using folding.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline arw01

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 10:30:56 AM »
and the P10 apprears to be really about 6.5" long by 12.5" long total?  pretty small, how do they do at a distance any of you have played with them?

a 32 x 96 would be 13" by 3m approx.  pretty small. Nothing like burning 9000 channels in a hurry  ;P

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 10:33:12 AM »

Here is a link to the aluminum frame material shows in the videos

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4590F-LED-Display-Panel-Frame-For-P7-62-P10-P16-P20-Indoor-and-Semi-outdoor/103659_723543888.html

Tony

Only $60 plus 90 for shipping. Hopefully someone on this side of the pond can bend some material for less than $150 all-in.

Ryan

Offline Frankr

• Supporting Member
    • Rocklin Lights
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 10:44:34 AM »

Here is a link to the aluminum frame material shows in the videos

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4590F-LED-Display-Panel-Frame-For-P7-62-P10-P16-P20-Indoor-and-Semi-outdoor/103659_723543888.html

Tony

Only $60 plus 90 for shipping. Hopefully someone on this side of the pond can bend some material for less than $150 all-in.

My approach would probably be to get a 2x4 and dado in a slot for the panels to sit and another dado for some plexi in front

Does anyone have a take on how these panels would look in daylight?