Author Topic: Controller configuration software notes and questions  (Read 806 times)

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Controller configuration software notes and questions
« on: October 03, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »
I got my F8 out this week to start testing stuff and thought I would update the firmware and use the new configuration program.  The first thing I learned is that it wants to know the board id.  Mine was set at 0 so I left it that way, but learned that the program will not accept that.  Changed the board to an ID of 1 and I could set the configuration.  After setting up each of the ports, each line remains red which I believe means it is invalid or just not enabled.  I could NOT set the enable box.  I could program the F8 and the lights that were attached all flashed.  The lights all work in test mode.  I notice that you now have to specify your color order which is probably fine if you know what that is.  I left mine at RGB and then when using xlights test function learned that my lights are apparently GBR.  Went back and reconfigured the F8 for GBR and all lights now work as I would expect them too.  I guess I have been spoiled from the past use of naming the node type and not the color order as I had no idea what my different lights color order was and I am not a newbie.  This may be something where we need to build an entry in the wiki to identify common color orders by type of lights used and their source.  Still do not understand why there is an enable option in the config, but I cannot set it, although the lights seem to be working ok.

For those of you using the Pickit 3 and needing instructions, the best I have ever seen can be found in the instruction manual for the micro string controller so even if you don't have any of those controllers you may still want to download the manual and at least printout the page for using the Pickit 3 and the IPE programming environment.  Corey has done an outstanding job on the whole manual, but the Pickit 3 piece is valuable across many products.

Other questions I have
Can I use the new config program with the old firmware?

Can the new config program use my saved config file?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: Controller configuration software notes and questions
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 04:58:19 PM »
wrong thread.  Is there no way to delete a post?

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
Re: Controller configuration software notes and questions
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »
Just edit to blank post or a mod can delete it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk