Author Topic: How do people use video in their displays?  (Read 1818 times)

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
How do people use video in their displays?
« on: August 06, 2013, 12:03:34 AM »

We will be implementing video soon. So I was just wondering how video in used in displays because I have never incorporated video.
Here are some usage cases I have heard about.

1) Some use MP4's to replace MP3's as the main media for sequence. So audio from the video would be sent to transmitter.

2) Some use MP3's for audio source as usual but need to start videos to go to projectors and such at specific times in a sequence.

Thanks.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
Re: How do people use video in their displays?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 06:59:32 AM »
This is on my list to do for next year project  :)
Jerry Plak

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:19:26 AM »
Back when LSP supported video, I used AVI files to play video throughout my show. What I would do is just have the video player play black until I had something that I wanted on the projector. I did not use video for every song, but I did use it for most. I simply used the AVI file to sequence with. Now You would have to sequence to an MP3 and overlay that in your video of choice.

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 08:55:51 AM »
I think option 1 makes more sense.  Here's how I would incorporate video (if I had video):

• After I sequenced using just the audio, I would import said audio to either Premiere or Sonar, add/sync the video, then export to MP4.  It seems to me you'd have more control over what the projector is doing when there is no syncronized video per se (a stagnant white/black/red/green background for instance - or messages that scroll - or whatever.)

Since Vixen 2.1 doesn't support video and I don't have a projector, I've never really thought about it till now.  If you could reassign media files (change MP3 to MP4) in xLights - or however the Pi Player will do it - then theoretically, it wouldn't matter which sequencer you used so long as it can be converted to the Pi format.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »
I agree with mms. That is basically what I was saying...... just not as clear.  ???

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »
The more generic way I would think would be a time offset from the beginning of the song to start the video.  Then it is not restricted for a single program.
Myk

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2