Author Topic: Color Order choices in the Falcon 16 or 8 utility  (Read 2751 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Color Order choices in the Falcon 16 or 8 utility
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:49:12 AM »
I updated the firmware on my F16 board, then went to configure it. The newest software now lets you pick between:

RGB  RBG  BRG  BGR  GRB  GBR  (there are only 6 possible combinations)

I chose RGB for my TM1804 bullet pixels. When I went outside to look, my "XLights Fire" was blue and green, not red and yellow.

So, I began working down the list. Ultimately, the very last choice (of course) was the right one.

One thing that did help me, since I use the FPP and the FPD, was I could reconfigure the F16 while my Halloween Show was running.

So, those of you who have used various other Pixels on the F16, which of the 6 choices did you have to pick?

TM1804 Rectangles
TM1804 Metal Squares
TM1809 Flex Strips
TM2811 ?

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
Re: Color Order choices in the Falcon 16 or 8 utility
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:07:04 AM »
This is a great question. If we can compile a list I can put a  link in software to a wiki page that has the various pixels type to order translation.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:22:18 AM »
Don't you know it. It is allways the last one your try that works.  :)

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »
I never got a Halloween show running, but I have all my lights on the front of the house and I put 4 arches in the yard in anticipation of a show.  Never made, but I used xlights test - RGB - Background only to turn my lights to an orange color.  BUT.... All the lights are TM1804.  The house mounted lights are all controlled by SSC v3 with Falcon firmware connected to an active hub.  The arches are connected to an F16 with the latest firmware.  The house became orange and the arches became purple so it worked out, but I have to get this fixed before the Christmas show.  Unfortunately I have not been able to config the F16 since I put it in the yard.  I can turn lights on and off, but have been unable to change the light color order.  Guess I'll redo the firmware and config when I get it back in the workshop.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:34:38 PM »
I've updated the chart in the wiki that lists pixels supported by DLA controllers to now have a column for the color order (both the F8/F16 RGB/BGR/... representation, and the string types found in the smart string controller software).

Please update the list for new string/pixel types, and complete the list where color order might be missing.

http://falconchristmas.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Supported_Lights_.28validated_by_users....29
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 06:57:34 AM »
I've updated the chart in the wiki that lists pixels supported by DLA controllers to now have a column for the color order (both the F8/F16 RGB/BGR/... representation, and the string types found in the smart string controller software).

Please update the list for new string/pixel types, and complete the list where color order might be missing.

http://falconchristmas.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Supported_Lights_.28validated_by_users....29

Does anyone know where this wiki page went to?
Ryan

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 07:00:03 AM »

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 07:04:23 AM »
...by the way, the reason I ask is because I'm struggling with something. My F16 has the bullet nodes and I was 99% sure they used to be RGB. Well I have them start on channel 4097 on universe 2 and the only way I can get them to work properly in xlights or the test pattern page is to use GRB.  STRANGE!! Anyone else have any issues this season with colors?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 07:30:43 AM »
My RayWu TM1804 bullets are all GRB. I have others that are RGB. There is, sadly, no standard order.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 08:07:08 AM »
There is no real reason I've found.  I have ws2811 nodes from a couple vendors and they have different orders for each, its strange.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 08:33:24 AM »
OK - THANK YOU!!!!

This gives me some sanity that because I do have different years and a couple different vendors (mostly Ray, but some others) that things can be different. I'll just continue until channel 1=R, 2=G, 3=B on each LED and keep xlights to RGB type light. I seem to recall the whole house model was dependant on this type of configuration...not sure if v4 of xlights changes that this year I haven't done any sequencing yet for halloween....I have today and tomorrow to get it all working. yesterday was about 2" of rain here and today is 35mph winds gusting up to 65!!! At least tomorrow appears to be calm, but in addition to the RGB pattern I have some other issues to sort out with my display (water proofing and some loose cables). After two half decently successful season I decided to change my layout/setup and paying for it a bit.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 09:26:16 AM »
As stated before the only way to test color order on lights is to turn on the first channel of the string, turn it off and turn on the second channel of the string. turn it off and turn on the third channel of the string.

Using the rgb colors in xlights test mode is dependent on whether the channel number is divisible by 3 since it is coded to start with red on channel 1, green on channel 2, blue on channel 3 and then just keep repeating up all the way to your highest channel.  4097 will always be green, 4098 will always be blue and 4099 will always be red when using the rgb tests and select all.  It is for that reason I have started my pixelnet universe 2 at channel 4099.  YMMV.

All my 1804s from Ray are RGB, other strings and chip types from other manufacturers may vary.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 11:43:44 AM »
Jim - thank you!! I forgot about that little tidbit of info. I'm 99% sure that's why I was seeing strange things. Now to go remap out some channels and retest. I have been going crazy seeing different combos on what I thought were the same type of lights.