Author Topic: Undocumentation  (Read 3756 times)

isellgum

Undocumentation
« on: August 06, 2013, 09:56:27 PM »
Dave has made some pretty amazing hardware but unfortunatly there really isn't any documentation on some of it yet.  If I had known the FPD was available or even an option I would have ordered it rather than the etherdongles I just signed up for.  Is there any way possible to help Mr Pitts get the stuff documented ?  If there are boards like the FPD available , possibly get them listed in the for sale section.  I'm very excited to try this new equipment but without having any info available it makes it difficult to invest in.  I'd be happy to help post stuff in the wiki if I can get permission.   

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:19:06 AM by isellgum »

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
Re: Undocumentation
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »
Dave has made some pretty amazing hardware but unfortunatly there really isn't any documentation on some of it yet.  If I had known the FPD was available or even an option I would have ordered it rather than the etherdongles I just signed up for.  Is there any way possible to help Mr Pitts get the stuff documented ?  If there are boards like the FPD available , possibly get them listed in the for sale section.  I'm very excited to try this new equipment but without having any info available it makes it difficult to invest in.  I'd be happy to help post stuff in the wiki if I can get permission.   

Thanks

Good point. Dave has a challenge as he cant discuss Falcon stuff on DLA  (and all of the rest of us who havent been kicked off, dont talk about it).

This is what I know Dave has

1) Falcon-16. This is the Zeus board equivalent. It can drive 16 strings to 25'. No SSC's needed. Pixelnet in and Pixelnet out on the board
I think $95/assembled?

2) FPD (Falcon, Pixelnet,DMX). This is the equivalent of two etherdongles (32K channels) + 6K channels of DMX
$115 assembled

3) Falcon Pi player. No hardware sold by dave. This is the free software that Mykroft and Dave created to run on a raspberry pi ($40-70 hardware costs for pi)
This is the equivalent of the Conductor. Note: No wireless slaves yet, Dave/MyKroft are working that.
Note that the pi player can be updated with just a wireless file copy (no burning of cards in a writer and moving them). Also the pi player will have 1080p video and that will soon be able to be scheduled by your sequencer. Video on demand during the sequence.

(4) Dave has new firmware for SSC version 1,2 or 3. I tried his new firmware and it fixed all of my lag problems. Dave was told he cant talk about this firmware on DLA also. It is unfortunate because i think it would improve many peoples SSC's. This firmware also eliminates the 128 node limit and removes the need to set the jumper to program the start channel. I could have really used this version since i got the start channel wrong on my star last year. This firmware download is on this website.

Dave has not made replacements for Lynx Express, Aether-II's, Active Hubs, Passive Hubs, SSC's
So when will i use DLA stuff? You would use an active hub and ssc if you need to drive strings farther away than 25'. I will use the Lynx Express and the Aether-II's

So I have
(2) Etherdongle
(2) Active hubs
(1) Passive hub
(32) SSC's v3
(3) Aether-IIs
(4) Lynx Express
(2) Conductor kits

What I will use , instead, this year

(1) Pi Player
(1) FPD
(3-4) Falcon-16's
(2) Lynx Express
(3) Aether-II's

In picture form, i will be doing the first row. I have this hardware and lights running now in my basement.
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 05:37:52 AM »
There is a very good user manual for the Falcon-16.

I believe that the reason that there is not any documentation for the FPD is that it has not been officially completed as a dongle product. The firmware is still being developed. I am sure that as soon as it's ready for prime time that a good manual will be published.

It is not recommended to directly post about any Falcon product on DiyLightAnimation anywhere. Doing so will get you banned from there. Duplicate or improved version of similar products (kinda like the one that starts with a Z) are not allowed to be posted about or discussed there. Just sayin.

I too will be using a mixture of product from both sources. I also updated my SSCs with Dave's code and it makes the SSCs so much easier to work with and reliable. DLA was unhappy with that as well. Best thing is that you can program the SSC without having to mess with the program jumper therefore you can actually change the program while they are installed in the yard.

Yes there is a theme here. Best to let a slepping dog lie.

isellgum

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:10:12 AM »
I was unaware that DIYLA would ban you for talking about a competitor's equipment.   I only found this site because I logged in early to the nutcracker tutorial the other night and saw everyone being notified in the different forums.  Thanks smeighan.

Either way , I think Dave has some good stuff and I'd like to see this forum have some goals set for getting documentation posted for current and upcoming equipment.  Knowing what is available and when could increase sales and use.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 08:22:37 AM »
Since Dave is non-profit, as is Sean, you won't get any huge pushes for sales quantity.

Galaxy Note II

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »
I find myself biting my tongue anytime anyone mentions issues with SSC firmware.  From a sequencing standpoint, Dave's firmware is way more user friendly (changing node grouping within the sequence) and you can reprogram without putting jumpers on, etc.

A lot of Falcon stuff is in beta right now and once the glitches get ironed out I'm sure there'll be plenty of documentation.

Lots to be excited about here!

Steve

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 09:07:53 AM »
I was unaware that DIYLA would ban you for talking about a competitor's equipment.

If the device is one that is identical or similar in function to a DIYLA device then information concerning that device is simply not allowed and it will be deleted faster than you can blink. This also covers people who want to provide improvements to certain equipment's operation. There are certain exceptions where someone designs a device that RJ has no plans to design or produce. For example the DMX tester and servo controller board.

Don't get me wrong though, RJ has done a lot for the DIY community and produced a lot of good equipment unfortunately in some cases the mind is closed  to outside improvement or ideas that are not his own. In the engineering community there is a common saying that it is NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome.

David has chosen to move on and is doing a great job of bringing new and innovative ideas to this hobby.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »
I was unaware that DIYLA would ban you for talking about a competitor's equipment.   I only found this site because I logged in early to the nutcracker tutorial the other night and saw everyone being notified in the different forums.  Thanks smeighan.

Either way , I think Dave has some good stuff and I'd like to see this forum have some goals set for getting documentation posted for current and upcoming equipment.  Knowing what is available and when could increase sales and use.
I wouldn't say that you'd get banned for talking about competitive products, its more nuanced than that.

First, what RJ does he does out of pride and a certain bullheadedness (and I say that with love and appreciation).  RJ has created something and shared it for free to create a community.

He does not want a lot of technical talk as a philosophical choice, it makes the hobby more accessible to new people if we aren't hitting each other over the head with specs, and arguments about minutia.

I think it would be impolite to discuss in HIS forum, other products that do the same thing -- just differently, or even better.  You can mention another product in order to point people to a place where they can find a better match for their needs, but you shouldn't use his space to create a discussion area around another person's (or company's) product.  Go to that group's site to find more about that option.  I also wouldn't talk about Falcon to avoid the perception that we are trying to "steal-away" his followers.  He had built this community fair-and-square.

RJ has opened up his forum to other kits that don't conflict with his.  He is not trying to create a market place where there are 10 DMX controllers, and the debate is around which is better.  Instead, the other kits must address an area not already addressed by an existing kit.  RJ does not have a tester, but there is someone else who has a tester that he coops and supports in the DLA forum.  If a new tester came along to implement similar functionality -- RJ would reject that new kit as well -- even though he doesn't oversee the original kit.  This is his policy.

In any case, coming to a separate forum like FalconChristmas is in keeping with RJ's own example when he created DLA.  I think it is inappropriate to talk about Falcon on his board out of courtesy.

I will also admit that I felt bad for him at the Academy.  The big conductor display was something he wanted to see happen as part of his investment in time, travel, class prep, etc.  To see all of the big matrix displays using Falcon must have caused some frustration, which he hid well.  BUT I DON'T THINK Sean, David, or Jon did anything wrong in investing their time with THEIR choice in equipment.

BTW, I LOVE the choices available to me... and like others I plan to combine all of these elements together and use each to their strengths!

Megapixel Tree:
   (1) Falcon PI master with wireless, (1) FPD, (4) Falcon16

(3) Greenhouse glass panels:
   (1) Falcon PI slave with wireless, (1) FPD, (3) Falcon16

(9) Coroflakes
   (1) Lynx Active Smart hub, (9) SSC V4, (1) DMX Wireless TX

(10) LED multi-color arches
   (10) LEs, (1) DMX Wireless RX

Megatree with Starburst:
   (1) Lynx Active Smart hub, (4) 27-channel Ray Wu DMX controllers, (3) SSC V4

RGB House Floods:
   (16) Aether-IIs, (2) DMX Wireless RX
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »
Well said Steve!

BTW Do you ever have a short post?  ;)    LOL

It would take me an hour to type most of your posts!  ;D

Offline Frankr

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
    • Rocklin Lights
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 10:40:40 AM »
Well stated Steve! 

RJ is due a great deal of respect and admiration. He really has created a community where even a computer neophyte can come in and feel at home and get started on our hobby.  The forum is clean, friendly and not cluttered with a bazilion different ways to do one thing.

He has a very clear philosophy and he sticks to it.  Can't fault him for that.  However; that does not mean we are not free to go elsewhere and find other, possibly better, ways to do things.

DLA is kinda the gateway drug to getting more people afflicted with our disease.  The more people that come into this hobby the more options and creativity we will all learn from.

Frank

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 10:49:56 AM »
I think Steve summed it up well. DLA is RJ's site and he has the final say in what happens there. If DLA is not a good fit a member has the choice to go anywhere they what or start their own site. The biggest thing we must remember is this is about Christmas and the Spirit of Christmas. At times I had forgot about that point. RJ has created some great stuff and motivated and enabled many to get involved in such a great hobby. We all have thousands of dollars of his equipment which he put endless hours of time to produce.

Although the posts in this thread has been civil I still want to take this opportunity to encourage all members of Falcon Christmas to continue to be polite and courteous to all. We can talk about the differences in hardware, the advantages of one technology than another but let us stay clear of any statements that may be seen as an attack or bash of another member in the Christmas community as a whole. Whether that member is here or there or anywhere.

Last part sounded like a Dr. Seuss book.    :)
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 10:51:30 AM »
Two more post before I finished mine. Roger and Frank stole my thunder. :)

isellgum

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 01:24:51 PM »
I do not want to appear as if I am trying to take anything away from DIYLA.  I think RJ is pretty awesome for all that he has done for the advancement of the hobby/business.
I also think that Mr. Pitts has done a great job with his equipment and would like to see this site be as organized and well rec'd as the others that exist.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »
I do not want to appear as if I am trying to take anything away from DIYLA.  I think RJ is pretty awesome for all that he has done for the advancement of the hobby/business.
I also think that Mr. Pitts has done a great job with his equipment and would like to see this site be as organized and well rec'd as the others that exist.

:)  Like some threads do. This one veered off topic. I think we all agree that this site could use more documentation and I personally thank you for your willingness to help. I sent you a pm regarding getting permission for wiki page creation.

David

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 02:27:47 PM »
Two more post before I finished mine. Roger and Frank stole my thunder. :)

David, while we're drifting off topic, I want you to know that I resent your current 67F temp in Colorado Springs.
It is 102F here and has been all week.

Jon