News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 5.5 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/5.5

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15228
Latest: teedorowe@gmail.com
New This Month: 17
New This Week: 2
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 124490
Total Topics: 15143
Most Online Today: 58
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 39
Total: 47

Options for old DiyLA hubs?

Started by galgon, December 23, 2021, 10:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galgon

I run my small show with about 1k pixels and a DiyLA active hub.  I want to expand more and I have an additional hub but I am out of SSCs.  It looks like the micro SC would work but seems that's been long discontinued too.  Are there any options short of finding someone selling gear or getting a new board?

tbone321

I would look into getting new controllers.  RJ's equipment has the one advantage over many others in the fact that it just works.  No complicated configurations, no need for power injection, everything is 12V - PERIOD.  The disadvantages are limits on the number of pixels per SSC, the need for the hub either active or passive, everything has to be 12V , and the most important disadvantage, NONE OF IT IS PRODUCED ANYMORE.  This would be the best time to begin the transition to other equipment, especially while your DLA stuff still works. 

This way you can go with a smaller controller such as the Kulp K8-PB when it becomes available again.  It has 8 built in string ports and since it runs FPP, it can be your master player as well.  It can also put out PixelNet so it can also replace your EtherDongle as well and if you have updated your EtherDongle to a Conductor, FPP had a trillion times more capability than the Conductor in both scheduling and playback options.  This way, you can continue to use your DLA equipment as well for now if you wish and as SCC's fail, then the props are easily converted to the new controller with no more than a connector change. 

As far as distance goes, I have a string of candy canes that are around 30 feet from the controller and they work perfectly fine and there are a lot of power cables on the ground near them so it is far from an ideal environment.  If you need to really get far from the controller, it is also expandable with Differential Receivers which allows you to put 4 more string ports a greater distance from the controller along with a separate power supply and these controllers allow you to use either 12V or 5V pixels, as long as all the pixels on a specific controller or receiver are all the same voltage. 

I saw your post on DLA looking for this equipment and was going to suggest this there but out of respect for both RJ and the DLA site, i held back but have no problem posting it here.  Good luck with whatever way you go and Merry Christmas.

jnealand

I have SSCs and uSCs but no hubs any more.  How many are you looking for?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

MyKroFt

Am going out to storage tomorrow, I THINK i still have a box of old DLA stuff before David and I were banned from DLA forums for mentioning the FPP back in the day, will update here tomorrow

jnealand

Quote from: MyKroFt on December 24, 2021, 11:54:31 PMAm going out to storage tomorrow, I THINK i still have a box of old DLA stuff before David and I were banned from DLA forums for mentioning the FPP back in the day, will update here tomorrow

I remember those days.  And now RJ is absent and you guys are still around.  But I don't miss the soldering of boards and stuff I did in the old DLA days.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Duane Johnson

Quote from: jnealand on December 25, 2021, 08:18:02 AM
Quote from: MyKroFt on December 24, 2021, 11:54:31 PMAm going out to storage tomorrow, I THINK i still have a box of old DLA stuff before David and I were banned from DLA forums for mentioning the FPP back in the day, will update here tomorrow

I remember those days.  And now RJ is absent and you guys are still around.  But I don't miss the soldering of boards and stuff I did in the old DLA days.
The days of waiting for the group buy, deciding what parts on Digikey and Mouser you needed...waiting for them...then soldering...checking your connections....and trouble shooting any issues and you finally have a controller.  Now, you just buy it pre-made!!  We've come so far so quickly in this hobby.  That being said, RJ's stuff still works and I've kept some to run a backyard display someday as it'll be more prop driven and not as dense as the stuff out front.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

PiCap abnormal conditions: Disabling my IP address by Poporacer
Today at 11:34:07 AM

Just putting this out for research? by Poporacer
Today at 10:53:09 AM

FPP 6.0 Released! by Poporacer
Today at 07:49:44 AM

Chaining Two or more V2.01 Differential Receivers to a Kulp K16A-B cape by CaptainMurdoch
August 16, 2022, 03:21:41 PM

BBB Display by CaptainMurdoch
August 16, 2022, 03:02:07 PM

New to fpp. Having problems with multiuniverse string. by andmat
August 16, 2022, 02:16:56 PM

Matrix hang up solution by howdy10
August 16, 2022, 07:38:32 AM

Kulp f8 PB wifi by bloojoop
August 15, 2022, 10:38:55 PM

PiCap Slow DMX output? by bloojoop
August 15, 2022, 10:34:16 PM

Odd MultiSync behavior on FPP v6.0.2 by bloojoop