Author Topic: USB WiFi Adapter  (Read 1545 times)

aich75013

USB WiFi Adapter
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »
I am just wondering, if using a USB WiFi adapter on the Raspberry Pi, how do you tell it which network to connect to and the network password?
I am trying to figure out how this all connects together if I am using am EtherDongle.  I would have an ethernet cable between the Pi and the EtherDonge, so I would need to use a USB adapter for wireless, right?

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
Re: USB WiFi Adapter
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »
The way I would do it is connecct the pi and ethd to your local lan.  The the pi will get a dhcp ip and will be happy.  I am working on the network config page now as we speak er type. .

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »
But with wireless, it becomes difficult to connect to the local lab -- selection of SSID, password, etc.

I think the answer is that you need to connect a USB keyboard/mouse and display, then you can log into the Linux OS to set the network configuration.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
no, it defaults to DHCP, I am working on the network config page now.

You will be able to change eth0 and wlan0 to either static or dhcp, and wlan0 will have a place for your SSID and password.

Myk