Author Topic: Who ordered P10 modules on 11/11 at 50% off ??  (Read 28342 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: Who ordered P10 modules on 11/11 at 50% off ??
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »
I looked at all of mine and there is some shoddy, quick work adding the terminal block in the middle, many are crooked or worse tilted backwards. I've got one board that has a broken capacitor (they don't send replacements of those), the others see okay, but I did get a bag of chips and stuff, guess these needs repairs..

But before I sign off, do we have anything that will run them, in order to run through and test them before sending the seller a note?

Here is a link to some code and a test program that runs on a Pi if you have a breadboard or make a custom cable to hook them up with.

https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix

There's also an adafruit article on using one directly attached to the Pi.

https://learn.adafruit.com/connecting-a-16x32-rgb-led-matrix-panel-to-a-raspberry-pi/overview
-
Chris

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
I looked at all of mine and there is some shoddy, quick work adding the terminal block in the middle, many are crooked or worse tilted backwards. I've got one board that has a broken capacitor (they don't send replacements of those), the others see okay, but I did get a bag of chips and stuff, guess these needs repairs..

But before I sign off, do we have anything that will run them, in order to run through and test them before sending the seller a note?

Here is a link to some code and a test program that runs on a Pi if you have a breadboard or make a custom cable to hook them up with.

https://learn.adafruit.com/connecting-a-16x32-rgb-led-matrix-panel-to-a-raspberry-pi/overview

Awesome thanks, I have some uno's around as well, so I should be able to get something going.

Tory
I know some stuff. For example i know I don't know anything.

Offline tlh

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 05:31:41 AM »

Thanks for the links for a way to check the boards.  My order arrived Monday, and I had put it into a "project for next year" category.  Now, I have a way to test the boards.  I never cease to be amazed at the ingenuity and willingness to help that is demonstrated by this community.
Terry

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 10:07:53 PM »
Okay tested 24 boards this evening. I think the Pi struggles a bit and I couldn't get a proper image of my own creation to scroll cleanly. But I ran the fade, color test on all my boards and they all work, no bad LED's.

The dark blue seems pretty dim compared to the other colors in the spectrum and again I'm not sure if the Pi was having some issues or the PC power supply I was using as a test, but I would get some weird effects from the second panel.

Also of note, I'm not sure how good these cables are going to be that came with them;

The power cables that split will work if you run your power north/south (vertical), but you can't run/share them East/West (horizontal).

The 16 pin ribbon cables don't work for anything but connecting boards  side by side, can't stack them not with these 6" cables..

So for these boards I'm thinking we are going to need custom pigtail type connectors made, something that is a standard 16 pin ribbon cable type connector but allows for use of normal 2? gauge wire. I have no idea where one goes to get custom cables/ends made..

I used a bunch of Female ends to the 16x32 board and hot glued them together so I had a semi reusable connector.  Used a 40pin flat cable from Pi to my break out board. I started looking at making or creating a perm 40 to 16 pin, but figured using the Pi for this is temporary testing and the Neo will dictate the connectors used. (hopefully they are similar to what's on the boards now:)

Tory

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
Google or search Amazon for "16 pin idc cable" and you'll find lots of options, although I think it might be cheaper for me to just pickup a bunch of 16 pin IDC connectors and scavenge ribbon cable from the box of old IDE and floppy-disk cables I have out in the garage. :)

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »
The Neo will have the same 16-pin connectors that the board do themselves - 4 of them

Tony

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 10:41:59 AM »
The Neo will have the same 16-pin connectors that the board do themselves - 4 of them

Tony

Basic ignorance about this - if I made an array of 32 boards (a 4x8 square, for example), would I just use one connector?

Would there be an advantage to driving something like that from all four connectors? (lag / flicker)

JonB
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:12:48 PM by JonB256 »

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 10:55:25 AM »
I have made my own 16 pin ribbon cables with 16 pin IDC connectors 16 wire ribbon cables for the four P10 boards i have.
Jerry Plak

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »

Tony

Basic ignorance about this - if I made an array of 32 boards (a 4x8 square, for example), would I just use one connector?

Would there be an advantage to driving something like that from all four connectors? (lag / flicker)

JonB

it's a limit of 8 boards or connector

Tony

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 11:57:56 PM »
For those wanting to make their own cables, I found this pack of 50 connectors on Amazon for $14.88 including 'free' shipping with Amazon Prime.  That's only $0.30 each if you need that many, and even if you don't it looks cheaper than buying 20 if you have to pay shipping on a few 10-packs.

http://www.amazon.com/Pc-Accessories-Ribbon-16-Pin-50-PACK/dp/B00E57QQVG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416633629&sr=8-3&keywords=16+pin+idc+cable

Does anyone know how far from the controller the first panel can be?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2014, 04:22:53 PM »
I put together a FPP Channel Output using the rgbmatrix library off github to test driving one of these panels directly off the Pi's GPIO.  The docs mention 30% CPU utilization for one 32x32 panel and I was seeing 30% for a 32x16 panel, so I don't know if the CPU utilization is constant or if I could expect it to double when using two 32x16 panels.  After I add support 2 panels and a little more testing, I will probably put this code into the master code branch in case anyone does want to play with it.

I can already see this replacing my "100 square nodes poked through the side of a cardboard box" test matrix in my office. :)  512 LED's on one P10 vs 100 on the cardboard.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 11:02:32 AM »
Thanks, Capn.  I did order cable and connectors. great price.

Got a few outdoor things to finish before I hook up my spare Pi to a few panels, though. I have the download from Adafruit about doing 3 panels and it looks simple enough. I have the jumper wires to go from GPIO to the first panel.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »
I definitely need a different power supply for mine, the old old PC power supply I am using doesn't like the rapidly changing current draw caused by the PWM and 1/8 scan rate.  This is mentioned in the notes in the source code library.

Offline tomwb301

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 05:57:17 AM »
I have one question before making the leap of ordering. Are the panels of choice going the ones in the link below?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/P10-Indoor-Full-Color-Advertising-media-LED-Display-Module/1461949772.html

I purchased a Falcon NEO and plan to purchase panels but I would like to make sure that a standard is in place. They are 25% off right now and any money saved is a good thing.
Tom
Crosby, Texas

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »
Tom, they appear to be pretty standard. If they have the 16 pin (2x8) connector and run on 5vdc, that improves the odds greatly. Apparently there is very little processing done by the integrated circuits on the board - they are just shifting the data along, pixel by pixel, then exiting the board to the next one (limit of 8 in the daisy chain for a max total of 256 pixels per data line).

When my NEO board arrives, I hope to have already assembled them into a 3x3 array (nine panels). The NEO has four outputs, so I'm planning to drive 3 horizontal panels per connector.

Of course, anyone with hands on experience - feel free to adjust my planning and expectations!!!