Author Topic: Voltage of data signal and max extension run  (Read 683 times)

Offline cpt_hammer

• Kudos: 0
Voltage of data signal and max extension run
« on: November 21, 2014, 11:09:57 PM »
I have some window frames using 189 tm1809 flex strip  and then 12 ws2811 pixels that I setup.  Plugged directly to the Falcon 16 board they work fine, but when I put a 30' 4 wire 18awg extension cable between the lights and the controller, they behave erratically. The resistance was 0.4-0.5 ohms on each of the wires.  I tried putting a 2A power supply right next to them and it works fine, but only if I brightness was under 50%.  Figured that was because the not big enough power injection(with no board power).  When measuring the voltage off the board with the data signal showed less than 1v.  Isn't the data suppose to be 5v.  Thought about changing to 14awg wire. But the overall voltage drop wasn't hardly anything.  Not sure if I have a data problem or a power problem.  Need advice. 

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 75
Re: Voltage of data signal and max extension run
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 11:34:40 PM »
Shorten the wires between controller and the first node. Or use a extra node or two in the middle.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Voltage of data signal and max extension run
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:43:01 PM »
The data signal deteriorates over that distance.  The issue is common for the DLA SSC, DLA Zeus, Corey's uSC, and the Falcon boards..  Plan for a max 6-ft from the controller to the first pixel, and a max of 6-ft between pixels.  Some controllers do a little better (and some worse)... but 6ft is what you should plan for.

What are your choices...?  Move the controller closer to the first pixel is one option.  The other is implementing something called a "Null Pixel"...  what you do is add additional pixels (6ft apart) to reach the first pixel you want to control.  The intermediate pixels can be taped over or covered.  They will count towards the number of pixels on the string, unless the controller has support for null pixels. 

If your controller doesn't allow configuration of null pixels, its no big concern.  Configure your controller to have a start channel for the string... lets say 156, and if you have 5 null pixels, tell your software that the string begins at 156+5 or 161. 
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro