Author Topic: atx power board wiring?  (Read 3140 times)

Offline tombmatt

• Kudos: 0
atx power board wiring?
« on: November 30, 2014, 07:44:16 PM »
what size wire should I use one the power out to the zues?

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: atx power board wiring?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
I don't have an answer based on specs...  but what I do is take an old power cord and remove the casing -- using the wiring inside (white and black).
I figure that if the cord can carry the power to the power supply it will also be able to handle the power out of the power supply.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 08:06:32 PM »
I don't have an answer based on specs...  but what I do is take an old power cord and remove the casing -- using the wiring inside (white and black).
I figure that if the cord can carry the power to the power supply it will also be able to handle the power out of the power supply.
Actually it may not. 12V DC require a larger cable then 120V AC for same current.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »
but out of curiosity the wiring off the powersupply itself is not as large as the input cable?? I really don't know what to use. its going to a zues 8 with 50 nodes per string. it should only be pulling under 13 amps total. (1.53 amps per string.) my concern is overheating. Im in south texas don't have the deep cold winters lately been in 70's and 80's.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 09:06:35 PM »
but out of curiosity the wiring off the powersupply itself is not as large as the input cable?? I really don't know what to use. its going to a zues 8 with 50 nodes per string. it should only be pulling under 13 amps total. (1.53 amps per string.) my concern is overheating. Im in south texas don't have the deep cold winters lately been in 70's and 80's.

Well according to this calculator you should use 10AWG. I used 1ft length, 13 amps @ 12V
http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

The 12V cable may be bigger then input. It will most likely not be smaller. The higher the voltage the smaller the wire can be. That is why they run power lines at thousands of volts to reduce the cable size.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 09:11:20 PM »
That is why they run power lines at thousands of volts to reduce the cable size.

This is the exact example I thought of when I read your earlier post.  For the same amount of power, you up the voltage so you can lower the current.  We're doing the opposite with the 12V power supplies so we need bigger (or more) wires on the output side to handle the higher current.
-
Chris

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »
Makes sense now that you explain it...  the amps/current needs a bigger pathway.

thx!

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »
Thanks

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 11:33:43 AM »
I use 10 gauge on all of mine. Have not had any issues with heat at all.

Roger

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
  • Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 12:14:40 PM »
Based on what I'm reading it looks like you must keep the power supplies as close to the boards as possible.  Where is everyone buying their favorite 10awg wire to go between the supplies and boards?

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 07:32:19 PM »
Many people on DLA are using marine battery boxes and are putting the ATX supply in the box with the hub or Zeus and plug it right into the board.  Running long 12V lines is just asking for voltage drops and the issues that comes with it.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 07:45:53 PM »

Based on what I'm reading it looks like you must keep the power supplies as close to the boards as possible.  Where is everyone buying their favorite 10awg wire to go between the supplies and boards?

I think you can normally buy it by the foot at places like Lowes and Home Depot.  Look for single conductor stranded and you can get it in red and black or white and black if you prefer those colors.

You could also scavenge a 30amp power cord or extension cord possibly and have more than enough for your needs.  I have seen quite a few at garage sales for connecting campers or generators. Make sure it is 30amp though.  :)

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
  • Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »
Thanks.  I have a plentiful supply of power supplies now.  Wiring and connectors is the next thing.