Author Topic: Vast FMT212R with Pi B+ and FPP issues  (Read 1141 times)

Offline jcross

• Developer
  • Kudos: 1
    • Crosslights Christmas
Vast FMT212R with Pi B+ and FPP issues
« on: December 04, 2014, 01:31:37 AM »
I made an observation tonight while playing with my new FMT212R that when trying to use the transmitter through USB mode the "Audio Output Device" in FPP Global Settings does not keep the value of the selected device (no selected flag) and always defaults back to ALSA.  FPP tells me the value was updated at the top of the screen and the change works it just is not reflected in the UI making it difficult to change back to ALSA. 
The rendered html after selecting the Vast Transmitter as the output looks like this:
Code: [Select]
<select id="AudioOutput" onchange="AudioOutputChanged();">
<option value="0">ALSA</option>
<option value="1">ELECTRONICS</option>
</select>

On a second note when the transmitter is run through USB (through a powered USB hub) at 1 second into every song I get an electronic crackling noise through the transmitter for about 1 second then the rest of the song is perfect.  When using the analog output I don't get the noise.  I tried on two different Pi's both with the same result.

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
  • Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
Re: Vast FMT212R with Pi B+ and FPP issues
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:52:42 PM »
The audio crackling is when the RDS data is sent.

I have a change that I've been using locally to make the callback blocking.  Currently, the media callbacks are non-blocking, so the start of the song, and the setting of RDS data for the Vast happen simultaneously, causing this audio problem.

I might push this change.  When I designed the plugin system, we decided to have the media callbacks non-blocking so they couldn't interrupt people's show by having a script run forever, but we also control the plugins right now, so if we have the power to "break" something, it could happen anywhere.  I'm thinking if we want a plugin to run concurrently, that can be done in the callback by daemonizing itself, and from FPP's perspective, it'll be blocking.

I should be able to get this in at some point this weekend.

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
  • Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:58:33 PM »
Forgot to address the part about the rendered text and saving.

First, what do you mean "defaults back to ALSA"?  After a reboot?  After a refresh of the page?  If after a reboot, is the transmitter recognized by the Pi at boot?  In our startup scripts we check that the currently configured card is available, if not, we default back to "0" which is ALSA.  If you mean after a page refresh, I'm hoping you can share some logs because that sounds like a bug.

As for the not having a "selected" identifier in the text, that isn't done in the text.  Like our other settings, there is a function when the page loads should set the value based on the saved value, but it appears to be broken.  I just looked on my Pi, which I know has the audio working (and configured for the transmitter) but it shows ALSA as well.  I'll get this fix in this weekend as well.  Thanks for pointing it out.  I almost didn't see your post because it wasn't in the FPP sub-forum (the only one I check), but happened to run a search for "vast" for other reasons and saw it.

Offline jcross

• Developer
  • Kudos: 1
    • Crosslights Christmas
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 09:49:54 AM »
I almost didn't see your post because it wasn't in the FPP sub-forum (the only one I check), but happened to run a search for "vast" for other reasons and saw it.
Sorry I didn't check this for a while.  I thought after I posted the original that I should have put it in the FPP forum... But it wasn't important enough to me as I worked around it by using the analogue output.

First, what do you mean "defaults back to ALSA"?  After a reboot?  After a refresh of the page?  If after a reboot, is the transmitter recognized by the Pi at boot?  In our startup scripts we check that the currently configured card is available, if not, we default back to "0" which is ALSA.  If you mean after a page refresh, I'm hoping you can share some logs because that sounds like a bug.

The output uses the USB audio correctly, it is simply that "Alsa" is displayed as the "Selected" device after a reboot/page refresh.  Everything in the backed appears to work correctly, just a problem in the UI.

As for the not having a "selected" identifier in the text, that isn't done in the text.  Like our other settings, there is a function when the page loads should set the value based on the saved value, but it appears to be broken.  I just looked on my Pi, which I know has the audio working (and configured for the transmitter) but it shows ALSA as well.  I'll get this fix in this weekend as well.  Thanks for pointing it out.
You nailed it!