Author Topic: Ray Wu 2014 Technicolor Pixel performance  (Read 2967 times)

Offline TypingOffKey

• Kudos: 0
Ray Wu 2014 Technicolor Pixel performance
« on: December 14, 2014, 04:47:39 PM »
In September of this year I ordered 120 sets of 50 pixels each, 5v WS2811 with 5050 SMD LED with the faceted C7 covers for a big ground grid / low resolution video screen. On initial testing / burn in I only experienced 2 failures out of 6000 nodes, so I was feeling pretty good about their performance. Upon initial install they all worked and looked pretty neat on the ground, but last week we had 2 days of misting and light rain, and the nodes started dropping like flies. Almost every strand developed at least one bad pixel. I started replacing nodes from the center of the grid out, trying to get it presentable looking, and out of 20 strands that I checked I replaced 13 bad nodes. I took the nodes inside and let them dry out for 3 days, and just today I started re-checking them.

Of the 13 nodes that were initially bad, 9 of them seemed to come back to life during testing. The light output looked normal and they passed on data to the next pixel in the string like they should. 2 of the 13 lit up properly but did not pass any data on to the next pixel. 1 of the 13 lit up properly, but passed garbled / slowed data to the next pixel. The last 1 of the 13 did not light up, nor did it pass any data. The testing was brief - I only tested each pixel for a minute or two - so the ones that appeared to be working normally may in fact have lingering problems. I also only tested each suspect pixel with one additional known good pixel downstream, so if it's an issue with a weak current regulator or something else to do with load the original problem may not have manifested itself under my ideal full 5v low load test scenario.

I sent Ray an email detailing my issue, and based on past experience I am sure he will take care of me somehow.

Mostly I am disappointed in the performance of the product and am wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with the "new" technicolor pixels, specifically the 5050 variety.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Ray Wu 2014 Technicolor Pixel performance
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 05:52:55 PM »
that is bad news.

I was just looking at the 400 identical pixels that i purchased this year... i got them just in case I came up with an idea, but that idea never came to me. :)  so they are still in the bag.

thanks for the heads up.  maybe they will will work well if they are outside under an overhang....  was thinking of using these by the pool.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 199
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 08:01:43 PM »
Sorry to hear it sounds like you and others with the v2 are having the same water intrusion issues as last year.  It makes me a little glad I never made an order this year to replace my v1 technicolors.  I turned on my old v1 pixel tree a month ago after it sat 'drying out' in my garage all year and surprisingly all but one string worked.  I replaced one bad pixel and the rest of the string worked.  I took a can of black enamel paint and painted all the in and out wires with three heavy coats. Once it had dried, I put it out in the yard and so far it has survived about 8-10 good rains since then with only one failure and that is at the beginning of a string.  I am letting that string dry and will replace the pixel if necessary and see if it revives the string.

Now I need to figure out what I will replace the tree with since the v2's are no better and this liquid bandaid is just that, a bandaid.
-
Chris

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 08:10:14 PM »
while i got some v2 after my big problems with v1, i did not go in 'big' with v2... just some samples.

for this year I purchased more old bullet node strings.. i use the IP68 nodes from years ago augmented with the new IP68 bullets, and so far no problems!!  (actually 1 broken wire coming out of a pixel in an old string).

i also got pixabulbs from diy led express.  maybe 3 bad pixels out of 3600 pixels without any burn-in to look for problems before deploying them... not bad!

Offline nutz4lights

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »
Hey all,

We have a pretty lengthy thread going at DIYC right now about this.  I'm on tapatalk and can't figure out how to paste a link, but it should come up in a Google search.  It is definitely disheartening, but Ray is taking care of the situation.  A few of us tore down pixels and sent him pictures of the corrosion on the inside... he did fix the faulty regulator issue from v1, but not the moisture intrusion (which I'm fairly convinced cannot be fixed without going to epoxy like we have in most other pixel designs.

Louie
-Louie
Videos @ Cape Sable Lights

Offline arw01

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »
Bought Minleon strings for the reasons you guys had with the V1 pixels last year.  Dave's new goodies will support them, they are not cheap, but they don't have water issues!

Alan

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »
I also like the Minleon's.  They work with the San Devices controllers although it was like pulling teeth to get the sales guys to admit which chip they are using.  Turns out it's a TLS3005 12 volt 12 bit chip.  They use the same chip in all their RGB's so it keeps it nice and simple.

Alan

Offline arw01

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »
I think I found that by accident someplace so didn't have that big chase, Might have been a thread on San Devices running that chip and mentioning that minleon used it.

Their pastels are AMAAZZZING with those frosted G40 globes..