Author Topic: Introduction: Hello from Gresham, OR, USA  (Read 2825 times)

macebobo

Introduction: Hello from Gresham, OR, USA
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »
Hello everyone.  My name is John McAdams (AKA Macebobo, pronounced Mac E Bo Bo) and I am the author of Vixen+.

I have been involved in Animated, synchronized Christmas lights since 2008, starting with a embedded controller on my indoor tree.  My display then grew from there after showing a co-worker what I had done.  He introduced me to doityourselfchristmas.com and I was there from 2009 until February of this year (when I was banned - long story, PM me for more details.)  I am usually on diychristmas.org, the official home of Vixen+

What is Vixen+?
Well, it's best to go to our site at http://vixenplus.com/ to find out - but in a nutshell, it is a Vixen 2.1 and Vixen 2.5 compatible sequence with a lot of new features.  It is a work in progress, but is released in Beta now.  You can find the latest version at http://www.diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?558-VixenPlus-Latest-Release-Link

Please, feel free to ask me anything about vixen+ and I look forward to being part of your community.

-- John

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
Re: Introduction: Hello from Gresham, OR, USA
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 04:55:15 PM »
Welcome to our Forums.  I will get a Vixen+ board setup for you tonight after work tonight.

Myk

macebobo

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »
Thanks Myk.  I appreciate it.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
All set up for ya, just need your initial post so ppls know what it is etc.

Myk

macebobo

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:19:55 PM »
Thanks again.  All done.

Offline pk

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »
macebobo -

I enjoyed your informative presentation on Vixen+ Saturday for the Denver get together.  We had good attendance from folks all along the what is called the front range.  I know of people from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs attended. 

I have been a Vixen 2.1 user and I like what you have done to make Vixen+

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »
Welcome!

My Mom lives close to you on East 110 st. just off Glison.  Do you have an outdoor display?  If so is it ready by Thanksgiving?  I plan on being up there around that time and would love to see it in person. :)

Rich

macebobo

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »
Yes, it is usually up the day after Thanksgiving.  Let me know when you're going to be here and we can greet you with some hot chocolate :D

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »
Welcome -

I also enjoyed your presentation on Saturday.  I was one of the ones online from Austin, TX.  I was very interested in your version of vixen because I have a specific need that until now seemed out of reach.  I need a sequencer that works with the FalconPi (My chosen display machine) and will also control my Madrix Machine.  Although I haven't completed an end to end test with vixen+ I am happy to report that I was able to control my Madrix setup with some basic testing out of Vixen+.  This is very promising for me.    In the next several days I hope to have a small sequence done in vixen+ and converted for Pi playback where Madrix will be listening for instructions from the Pi.  If this goes well then vixen+ will be my sequencer of choice!

Thanks for your effort in this and I think your roadmap holds a great deal of promise.

Alan

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:46:57 PM »
Welcome!!
I been keeping my eyes on Vixen+

Like Alan said: Thanks for your effort in this and thinking your roadmap holds a great deal of promise.
Jerry Plak

macebobo

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
Welcome -

I also enjoyed your presentation on Saturday.  I was one of the ones online from Austin, TX.  I was very interested in your version of vixen because I have a specific need that until now seemed out of reach.  I need a sequencer that works with the FalconPi (My chosen display machine) and will also control my Madrix Machine.  Although I haven't completed an end to end test with vixen+ I am happy to report that I was able to control my Madrix setup with some basic testing out of Vixen+.  This is very promising for me.    In the next several days I hope to have a small sequence done in vixen+ and converted for Pi playback where Madrix will be listening for instructions from the Pi.  If this goes well then vixen+ will be my sequencer of choice!

Thanks for your effort in this and I think your roadmap holds a great deal of promise.

Alan

Cool!  Let me know how it works for you.  If you find a bug or something, please let me know, I will be doing another bug fix release this weekend.

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 04:52:35 AM »

Cool!  Let me know how it works for you.  If you find a bug or something, please let me know, I will be doing another bug fix release this weekend.

It worked great.  I posted my results here:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,202.msg1182.html#msg1182

I also posted a link to a video in that thread.  Although the video doesn't show me using Vixen+, it is exactly what I used to actually sequence the Madrix bin selections.

Thanks Again,
Alan