Author Topic: Best/favorite method to determine color order  (Read 3371 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Best/favorite method to determine color order
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 09:17:49 AM »
and I try to align the elements on each universe so that red appears together when running test mode.  This means a shift of 1 or 2 in the channel assignments on the universes past #1.

When I hit RED on the FPP test page, I get Red some places, Green in others, Blue in others.
I didn't really worry about moving the start channels to compensate. It wouldn't be difficult, just time consuming - model edits, re-saves and then conversions to FSEQ and transfer to the FPP.

oops - just talked myself out of it.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 09:23:27 AM »
When I hit RED on the FPP test page, I get Red some places, Green in others, Blue in others.
I didn't really worry about moving the start channels to compensate. It wouldn't be difficult, just time consuming - model edits, re-saves and then conversions to FSEQ and transfer to the FPP.

This is why I have a note to rename those to something other than Red/Green/Blue. :)
-
Chris

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »
the falcon controller can clone the first string easily... so my falcon boards and uSC stuff it trivial to move.  nutcracker is also easily renumbered with its stuff.  all of my large channel count stuff is done with falcon.

...one more reason to keep my messy stuff in the first universe and solidly in place.   the holiday coro controllers, Aether2, RayWu controllers, etc. would be a bear to move around.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 09:51:09 AM »
Thanks.  Nice to see I am not alone...  That said, say for giggles, you actually wanted to fix it.  How do you know if channel XX,XXX is R,G, or B.  At first I thought it would be simple... 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »
well nutcracker gives me different colors than LSP does, so when I want to know the real color of something, I fire up LSP and use it's rgb sliders, then either re-program the controller with the FSC software, or make the tweak to the model in LSP.

I have some strings tacked onto other strings that are different color order, so I manually adjusted about 100 channels in LSP so they all turn on the proper color.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »
In xlights there is an assumption that all channels are RGB and start with 1.  So that makes green 3 and therefore every number divisible by 3 is green.  In my excel planning spreadsheet I take the start channel, add 2 and divide by 3.  If that comes out a whole number then the start channel is set correctly for an RGB string.  YMMV.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline jcross

• Developer
  • Kudos: 1
    • Crosslights Christmas
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 07:42:06 PM »
I am working on a plugin which you can enter all the channels/pixels in an element, set the expected color order and grouping and then test the R, G, B and/or W channels for the entire display, a group of elements, an element or a pixel/channel.  This may help others out to find issues or find burnt out bulbs.  Working on speeding it up right now and hopefully will be ready in a week or so (if approved by FPP devs).

Jason C

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »
Alan, funny you mention that because that's what I am concerned with.  LSP v. NC.  I had a hunch it was not gonna be so simple to just overlay a model.  My fault for not taking this into consideration.  That said, I was pretty generous with leaving channels between elements (learned this the hard way) so tweaking them isn't the end of the world, especially with the Falcon gear.  Was gonna fool with it, but I think I am leaving it be for this season. 

Jim, your formula was really close to what was forming in my mind.  While we're still talking, what's the deal again with channels spanning universes?  1st channel, 2nd universe (4096).  IE (4,096+2)/3= 1,366.  Is this red/1?   

Jason, your plugin sounds cool.  I think eventually we will need good tools to help us with this sort of thing. 

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 06:59:03 AM »
Jim, your formula was really close to what was forming in my mind.  While we're still talking, what's the deal again with channels spanning universes?  1st channel, 2nd universe (4096).  IE (4,096+2)/3= 1,366.  Is this red/1?   
xlights does not deal in universes only raw channels.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 07:34:15 AM »
Good point and I meant PN universes.  So, is there any variance between PN universes and raw channels that would shift color order/channels when crossing?  I thought there was an issue or maybe that was related to running controllers over 2 PN universes?

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 07:56:42 AM »
if you have updates/corrections to the table, please update the wiki or pass the info to me and I'll add it.

thx :)

wiki chart does not help when the same item from ray has a different order. for example , dave pitts received one batch where they mounted the actual leds 180 degrees backwards.
first method actually tests the colors.

Instead of using the standard tab of TEST, i use the RGB tab. I click the first three channels and then check background and move the three sliders.
slide first slider note color. put it back to zero, slide second slider note color and then third.
I now know if it is rgb,gbr,bgr .etc.
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 08:47:40 AM »
dave pitts received one batch where they mounted the actual leds 180 degrees backwards.

hmm... maybe he connected the wrong end of the string... ?

;)

i know, i know, dave would not get mixed up here.  just trying to picture in my own mind what happened and the results.  i gather the string still worked.

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 08:54:54 AM »
Dave said worked fine. Just surprised him to have a different color order than expected

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 08:58:21 AM »
I also have some bullet nodes with a different color order as well, but though it was just me.  Probably the same batch as Dave's...

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
just trying to picture in my own mind what happened and the results.  i gather the string still worked.

I think these are due to PCB version changes or a different LED with different pinout.  We already know that different pixels have different PCB's with the outputs of the chip connected to different pins on the LED.  I have often thought that the reason that the same pixel type could have a color switch is if they redesigned the PCB and routed the pins on the chip to different LED pins to make routing on the PCB easier or save $0.000000002 in copper. :)  If the LED was installed backwards, it wouldn't work at all because it has 4 pins, meaning the cathode would be connected where an anode should be and it wouldn't work.  If it was a 3-pin LED with cathode in the middle then it could be installed backwards and still work but have an incorrect color order.