Author Topic: Other events?  (Read 4931 times)

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
Re: Other events?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 03:14:16 PM »
I agree. Here in Denver. I can look into some meeting places as well. What size usually is good? What about a school auditorium or gymnasium?

Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
I would definitely go to a Denver area meeting.  I have never been to the Expo or Academy gatherings.

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »
I would come from Austin, and if there is anything I could do to help from here I would be glad to. 

In my opinion the ideal location would have a gymnasium type area with some breakout rooms for different training sessions.  A small city convention center like in Conroe, TX is nice but I don't think it needs to be all that fancy.

Needs would be a large area for keynote stuff and a sales floor if we could get even a handful of vendors.
And some smaller spaces for breakout sessions.
 Then a bit of planning to come up with an Agenda/training track.

I know I'm over simplifying but it need not be a huge deal.. I think there would be a ton of interest especially if Sean gave a Nutcracker 4.0 training class and David gave a Falcon Hardware session, Talk CaptainMurdoch into a Falcon Pi Player session and you've got the trifecta going.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 65
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »
I'm easy, I'm going wherever Sean and David go.  Probably get my copilot/driver, MrChristmas2000, also.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 04:33:51 PM »
Hmmm. Google maps shows me a 22hr drive from Buffalo. I was wondering if I pulled my trailer how long and how much gas it would take. If I could plan two week trip and fit it some dog shows along the way I just may be able to convince the wife and kids of a road trip. There's no mountains or anything to deal with along the way is there :)
Ryan

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 65
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 04:40:20 PM »
Mostly a couple of small lakes. 

Offline Gary Burress

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 05:01:11 PM »
I would be game.  I think a few of the San Antonio people would come as well.   They just don't spend time on the boards

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »
I'll go one place...  a bigger diy focus would make my choice easier.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »
If a few of the local Denver people want to get together and brainstorm locations. I've got some ideas. Here in Denver. PM me

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 10:47:07 PM »
Putting together a show like the Academy or Expo is a big under taking that I cannot commit to, other than showing up. :(
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 04:55:25 AM »
No truer statement has ever been said David!  Really, I floated this idea half joking.  But if there are others in Colorado that could organize an agenda and secure a location it could be a really fun event.
It does not need to be as big as the Academy or Expo.  I think if this idea is going to work it needs to be managed by some of the users in Colorado and expectations would need to be tempered.

I think the two biggest issue are can a decent location be secured for a decent price on a date that also works for you and Sean just showing up.  I don't think anyone here wants you, Sean, or any of the other developers worrying about this..other than supplying us with dates that work or don't work for you if we ever get to the point of asking you for them.  At this point I think this is still pie in the sky dreamingwishing there was a definite event this summer we could count on!

[

quote author=David Pitts link=topic=1984.msg22750#msg22750 date=1421128027]
Putting together a show like the Academy or Expo is a big under taking that I cannot commit to, other than showing up. :(
[/quote]

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 05:24:46 AM »
Last year was my first year for Ultimate Academy, I would definitely do it again. The Venue in Conroe was great. I may hit both shows this year.

The interaction with others enthusiasts like me was great.

Pat

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 06:24:07 AM »
Are we more interested in June - August or would the End of May work better?

A Saturday - all day - 8a - 6p?

May 23 or 30th?

That would give us all plenty of time to get things going for the new 2015 season.

Sean, would XL4 be user friendly by then?
Dave, would hardware for Falcon V2 be user friendly by then?
Chris, would FPP V2.x be user friendly by then?

I work for an international company, home based and my late mornings to end of day allow me to multi task where necessary.

It looks like I will need to add another monitor to my setup especially for the nice features of XL4.

I can start a new thread, or we can keep this one. If people that have attended other Expo's academy's can post what worked for them, or not, Even those that coordinated the other expo's the user feedback if you can share that would be beneficial.

Thanks!

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 07:38:07 AM »
I can tell you there's no way May is happening for me - kiddo graduating high school.  There is also Mother's Day, my brother's birthday, and Memorial day...

Like Dave said, organizing a meeting of that magnitude is a big undertaking.

Pretty much any hotel in the Tech Center has meeting space, lodging and food nearby.  I know the Denver Marriott Tech Center hosts a sci-fi "convention" around May the 4th.

If you want to compete with the scope of The Academy, it needs to be multi-day and cover myriad of topics.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 08:22:51 AM »
Also understanding that you will not be able to accommodate everyone. Yes, the multi day option is a great benefit.

Being memorial day weekend may allow for others to be able to attend 2 full days on the weekend and travel on monday.