Author Topic: FPP to Lynx Express  (Read 5221 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
  • Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: FPP to Lynx Express
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 09:16:15 PM »
Sure wish the LE didn't do that.  But I'm glad the player has a fix for it.   Sorry I had to vent because I could. :)

Offline onetmat

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 09:35:21 PM »
Didn't think about the "always transmit" setting and will do that. I tried to add the DMX device but it tells me that there is no serial device detected. I had it in the usb before power up as stated before. Are there additional FTDI drivers to install on the Pi before it will recognize the dongle? Thanks for the help.

Mat

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 09:42:54 PM »
The driver is already installed.  Can you go to the FPP File Manager and click on the Logs tab and then click the Zip button at the bottom of the page.  That will download the FPP logs zip to your computer.  Attach the logs zip to a post here and we can take a look at the logs to see if there is any indication as I why it is not showing up.
-
Chris

Offline onetmat

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 06:37:55 AM »
Attached is my logs zip. I also tried to attached it to an external powered usb hub with no luck. Maybe a reinstall is next.

Mat

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 11:19:13 AM »
Can you post a link to the item you purchased?  I don't see any USB serial dongles in your syslog file, but do see a USB network adapter.  I'm wondering if what you have is actually an ethernet adapter not a USB to RJ45 serial adapter.

Offline onetmat

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 11:42:25 AM »
I bought the item in the second reply fro Steve Gase. Should be the exact same thing that he got. I did try it in my PC and it was recognized and downloaded a driver. Would that have caused a problem with the hardware? I wouldn't think that a PC would change to hardware in anyway.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
I bought the item in the second reply fro Steve Gase. Should be the exact same thing that he got. I did try it in my PC and it was recognized and downloaded a driver. Would that have caused a problem with the hardware? I wouldn't think that a PC would change to hardware in anyway.

OK.  That one in Steve's link should work and should show up as FTDI in the logs, but I don't see anything like that.

Are you trying to also use a USB ethernet adapter?  If not, it sounds like you got the wrong part even though it may look the same.  Do you know what it identifies itself as in Windows?  I thought we had one other user once  who received an ethernet dongle because it looked like a RS485 dongle with RJ45 jack, but I don't recall where I saw the post at.

Offline onetmat

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 12:55:54 PM »
I see where it looks like an Ethernet adapter in the log. I'm seeing a "Davicom DM9601 USB Ethernet" item I don't recognize. Is that what the Pi thinks my adapter is?

I believe that Windows also recognized it as an Ethernet adapter as well. I don't have any other device attached to the usb other than the usb drive and this adapter. I will look later tonight in Windows and see what it's telling me it is.

FTDI also has a configuration utility that might help decide if this adapter in fact is what it says it is.   

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »
I see where it looks like an Ethernet adapter in the log. I'm seeing a "Davicom DM9601 USB Ethernet" item I don't recognize. Is that what the Pi thinks my adapter is?

Yes, that is what the Pi sees:

Code: [Select]
Jan 21 22:34:55 FPP kernel: [    3.978821] dm9601 1-1.2.4:1.0 eth1: register 'dm9601' at usb-bcm2708_usb-1.2.4, Davicom DM9601 USB Ethernet, 00:e0:4c:53:44:58
Jan 21 22:34:55 FPP kernel: [    3.979083] usbcore: registered new interface driver dm9601

Offline onetmat

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »
The item from Amazon is packaged as an Ethernet Adapter. I checked it with a utility from FTDI and no chip was even found. Everything sounded right just not the correct hardware. Now I'm not sure what to get now that is near this price range and size. I'm not sure I trust to buy the same item again since it will probably be the same thing.

Oh well. I'll wait and see what the Amazon says about it and keep looking. Thanks for the help on the FPP side for setting up the DMX output. At least that won't be the problem anymore.

Mat