Author Topic: Smoked 3 P10 boards  (Read 16788 times)

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 116
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Smoked 3 P10 boards
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 01:30:18 PM »
Neither Lowes or Home Depot had any mounting screws (

M3 x 0.5 (not in any length).

The first one I looked at on www.fastenal.com  was 8mm long and about $0.05 each.
I usually order extras, so for 100 of them ($5.04), the shipping was listed as $8.49

I hate shipping costs.

But, as I poked around, they had a "clearance item" that was 10mm long (still a good length) for only $0.01  (one penny)
So, I plugged in 1000 as a quantity.  Cost was now $10.00. Shipping was now $9.10
My kind of deal!!!   SKU is:  QM2510010A40000

So, if you need some screws for P10 panels (and Fastenal is out of stock), you can blame me.

Once I verify that these work and I get them mounted, I just might have some to share.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 10:28:23 AM »
Wow Pat, I didn't realize you had ruined panels with the screws. Sorry to hear that.

I had to search around a bit for screws, but Lowe's and Home Depot are the worst for little tiny screws.  Better off going to an Ace, Aubuchon, True-Value, type of local hardware store to find the little screws, especially metric stuff.

I wanted to use UV polycarbonate (lexan) for the front of the sign, but to get the width I required, I had to buy a big piece. (way more that it should be from Lowes)  This gave me just enough to also use it for mounting the panels... and as Pat pointed out, locating the mounting holes is easy on plexi/poly.  I also had a sheet of 1/8" MDF I was going to use, and it wouldn't have been too much trouble to measure out the holes.

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 09:33:49 AM »
Wow Pat, I didn't realize you had ruined panels with the screws. Sorry to hear that.

I had to search around a bit for screws, but Lowe's and Home Depot are the worst for little tiny screws.  Better off going to an Ace, Aubuchon, True-Value, type of local hardware store to find the little screws, especially metric stuff.

I wanted to use UV polycarbonate (lexan) for the front of the sign, but to get the width I required, I had to buy a big piece. (way more that it should be from Lowes)  This gave me just enough to also use it for mounting the panels... and as Pat pointed out, locating the mounting holes is easy on plexi/poly.  I also had a sheet of 1/8" MDF I was going to use, and it wouldn't have been too much trouble to measure out the holes.

The good news is I can still use them for testing, even though some are missing an entire row of pixels and on other boards there are just some pixels that are dimmer. The better news is that I just ordered 20 more panels for testing and I hope to have them in the next 2 weeks.

Offline neilric99

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »
for my front panel in Lexan I need a 101"x20" and that unfortunately is just over an standard size 8ft*4ft sheet . I found that international plastics will cut me one to size for $106 + shipping, ouch

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 07:36:10 PM »
Has anyone had any other luck with mounting options? I was thinking of using metal braces between the panels, but have had NO luck with that...very frustrating actually. Even though it's like 8 holes, I still struggle. Maybe I need to invest in a drill press with a laser guide and things will be better. I can't get holes to line up. the plexiglass option may be what I end up with if I can't get something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX4pUo3HVvw to work this weekend...

The Plexiglas made it easier to mount the boards.
I arranged the LED panels face down on the poker table and then put the Plexiglas over the top. I was then able to see all the mounting holes and the places where I needed to drill access holes for the 16pin connectors and power connectors. I used a sharpie to mark all the mounting hole locations and then drew ovals around the 16pin headers and a circle around the power connector.
Ryan

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »
For my four P-10 panel test rig, I used the Nickel Standard Hanging Track Bracket that I picked up from Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-ShelfTrack-60-in-Nickel-Standard-Hanging-Track-Bracket-32808/100672009

On the panels I used that magnetic standoffs that came with the panels, this holds the panels very well to the track.
Jerry Plak

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 05:39:36 AM »
Thanks Jerry! 

I'm going to inventory how many magnets I have and see what I can make work. I like the idea you've come up with.

Cheers!
Ryan

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 06:02:03 AM »
The original entry was about "smoked boards"

If you take a smoked board and remove all the pixels down to the frame, you now have a perfect template for marking and drilling.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 04:44:24 PM »
   Great point. Let's hope I don't have any smoked.

Here is my progress so far today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 05:50:00 AM »
For my four P-10 panel test rig, I used the Nickel Standard Hanging Track Bracket that I picked up from Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-ShelfTrack-60-in-Nickel-Standard-Hanging-Track-Bracket-32808/100672009

On the panels I used that magnetic standoffs that came with the panels, this holds the panels very well to the track.

Great Idea!

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 01:28:19 PM »
I used my own tip today. Actually remembered to take pictures.
What I did was remove the 32 tiny screws holding the covers on the P10 panel. They are for protection and light direction, plus those 32 screws hold everything together. (Note: I've found many P10 panels where several of those screws are not fully seated). Removing the screws and cover has not damaged the P10 in any way, though the circuit board is now more susceptible to damage.

I used very thin (3 ply) plywood. It is primed but not outdoor rated. I drew a 1 inch border on the top and left, then started in the top left corner.
Note that I drilled 4 holes (1 1/2 inch) to allow access to both Hub75 jacks and the power supply. Because the power connector is off-center, I drilled 2 holes in case I ever changed the orientation.

First hole was with a tiny drill to mark the plywood but not damage the threads in the P10 frame. Then I drilled larger holes (3/16") for the screws. I used very small, thin washers with the screws.

Assembly didn't take forever, but very repetitive. I would mount one panel, then use the template to mark the next, then drill and mount, then mark an drill. A lot of drill bit changes. Would go a LOT faster with 2 people and more than one drill.

I went to this trouble because my previous attempts did not give me the gap-less precision that I wanted. You literally can't find the seams between panels now. (at least from more than 2ft away). It is as perfectly aligned as I can get it. I know that using magnets would allow you to the same, but a good "bump" or drop will move them all. These are FIXED and actually strengthened the plywood. And I only used 4 of 6 screws. All 6 would be even stronger.

I put all the pictures in a Google Drive located here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3iI74ULigJibU9nNzZJcnBHdDA&usp=sharing

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 01:44:31 PM »
And, if you get a "bad" pixel on one of these boards, they are repairable.
In one of my pictures (added below), you can see that the little RGB pixels are surface mount soldered. They should be pretty easy to remove and replace. In my package from Ray Wu, he actually included about 12 replacement pixels on a strip. Note that they are polarity marked.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 07:41:14 PM »
I used my own tip today. Actually remembered to take pictures.
What I did was remove the 32 tiny screws holding the covers on the P10 panel. They are for protection and light direction, plus those 32 screws hold everything together. (Note: I've found many P10 panels where several of those screws are not fully seated). Removing the screws and cover has not damaged the P10 in any way, though the circuit board is now more susceptible to damage.

I used very thin (3 ply) plywood. It is primed but not outdoor rated. I drew a 1 inch border on the top and left, then started in the top left corner.
Note that I drilled 4 holes (1 1/2 inch) to allow access to both Hub75 jacks and the power supply. Because the power connector is off-center, I drilled 2 holes in case I ever changed the orientation.

First hole was with a tiny drill to mark the plywood but not damage the threads in the P10 frame. Then I drilled larger holes (3/16") for the screws. I used very small, thin washers with the screws.

Assembly didn't take forever, but very repetitive. I would mount one panel, then use the template to mark the next, then drill and mount, then mark an drill. A lot of drill bit changes. Would go a LOT faster with 2 people and more than one drill.

I went to this trouble because my previous attempts did not give me the gap-less precision that I wanted. You literally can't find the seams between panels now. (at least from more than 2ft away). It is as perfectly aligned as I can get it. I know that using magnets would allow you to the same, but a good "bump" or drop will move them all. These are FIXED and actually strengthened the plywood. And I only used 4 of 6 screws. All 6 would be even stronger.

I put all the pictures in a Google Drive located here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3iI74ULigJibU9nNzZJcnBHdDA&usp=sharing

thank you for this - it's a good approach. I'll post the other two pics I took last night. NOT happy with my outcome.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 07:42:48 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rattataz

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 06:22:18 AM »
drLucas were you planning on running all 20 panels from 1 power supply?