Author Topic: Smoked 3 P10 boards  (Read 17425 times)

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
Smoked 3 P10 boards
« on: December 22, 2014, 09:16:43 AM »
I was building a Plexiglas from to mount my P10 boards to, (4 of them) the mounting screws I bought were apparently too long. When I attached the boards to the Plexiglas with the screws I didn't realize that the screws were pinching the pcb board of the P10. I powered up the boards and smoke started coming out of 3 of them. So I ruined 3 of the 4 boards. Luckily I had a 4 more as "spares".  So just be careful when you are attaching the boards.

I ot some smaller screws and now it's all good.

Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Smoked 3 P10 boards
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:51:20 AM »
Pat, I was planning to use a sheet of plywood instead of plexiglass (since it would be dropped into a frame and out of site).

Would you recommend plexiglass for any specific reason over plywood?

(I was going to build a 3 by 3 matrix for my first test project)

JonB

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 08:52:31 AM »
I copied my design from one of the other users here, and I had the Plexiglas already. Plus my plan for this year was to hang the ding in the front window, so all you would see is the panels and not the support backing.

The Plexiglas made it easier to mount the boards.
I arranged the LED panels face down on the poker table and then put the Plexiglas over the top. I was then able to see all the mounting holes and the places where I needed to drill access holes for the 16pin connectors and power connectors. I used a sharpie to mark all the mounting hole locations and then drew ovals around the 16pin headers and a circle around the power connector.

I did have some Masonite that I could have used but the Plexiglas seemed easier.

My 2 cents use Plexiglas.

Pat

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 11:19:31 AM »
So if you used nylon screws instead of metal (and what length did you end up using) would you have avoided the issue?  Any display issues with the wierd update protocol I heard they had, so you get full colors as you expect them, etc?  Any lag issues?

I like the resolution of those a whole lot more than the 10x51 I built from the Holiday Coro panels, I need to double my vertical resolution this year on that by drilling another 510 holes!

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 11:48:14 AM »
These were the ones that were too long:
M3-0.5 x 16mm (5/8") Metric Button Head Socket Cap Screws Type A2 Stainless, Coarse, 100/PKG

I used what look to be 8mm length, but if I could find 10mm I would use them.

If I had nylon screws I would have used them, so yes that probably would have  avoided the issues.

Any display issues with the wierd update protocol I heard they had, so you get full colors as you expect them, etc?
I'm not sure what you mean, but I think the panels look great.

Any lag issues?
Not that I can see

Pat

Offline tomwb301

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »
Just received my 30 P10 panels today. All of the mounting screws came with the panels. Didn't see that in the BOM, but was happy to get them.
Tom
Crosby, Texas

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 04:38:18 PM »
who did you get them from?  Can you send the link?
  :-)

Pat

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 04:39:19 PM »
I looked at my panels today. The bare end of the screw, if it makes hard contact with the back of the pixel board, will actually break through the black, insulating layer into a printed circuit board. A plastic one could still do some damage if it was too long, though it might not be a "magic smoke" event. Best bet would be shorter screws if you use thin plexiglass or plywood.

And as far as plexiglass goes, I may do the first one in plexiglass, then use it as a template for future plywood boards (of the same layout).

Offline tomwb301

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »

Offline neilric99

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »
I just had 12 panels delivered today from that store and they came with panel mounting screws, power and 16 pin ribbon cables as well as some spare leds and IC's

What are is everyone doing to encase these panels after you have connected then together into matrix so that they can be used outdoors?

Pat,

Here is the link where I got the P10 panels.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/P10-Indoor-Full-Color-Advertising-media-LED-Display-Module/1461949772.html

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »

What are is everyone doing to encase these panels after you have connected then together into matrix so that they can be used outdoors?

My current plan is to make a wooden case. Around the inside, I'll use a router or table saw to make 3 slots down all 4 sides. One slot for a clear front panel, one for the board with the P10s, the NEO and the power supply attached and one slot for the back panel. The seal the front and back around the edge with silicone caulk. The top will not be sealed but would have a lip to keep out rain.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »
I'm thinking of creating a plexiglass box with a sheet of metal as backing... reclaimed from a filing cabinet.

The panels come with magnetic posts that do a good job of holding them in place with the metal.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 10:25:47 PM »
I'm thinking of creating a plexiglass box with a sheet of metal as backing... reclaimed from a filing cabinet.

The panels come with magnetic posts that do a good job of holding them in place with the metal.

Was going to say my shipment came with magnetic screws. I will need some help/advice in creating an enclosure for these. Otherwise it may be a trip to TAP plastic and see if they can assist :)

Tory

I know some stuff. For example i know I don't know anything.

Offline neilric99

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 01:49:53 PM »
I was thinking about using a backboard with metal strips attached to attach the magnetic heads to.

I think I am going to use the 12  x p10 board that I have in a straight line, and basically create 2 6ft long boxes and join them when installing. a 384*16 matrix will be good to replace my current 84*8 on 2" centers using pixels matrix.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 03:07:15 PM »
Ouch!  Went to Lowes to buy some Plexiglas or Lexan.

For my 3x3 P10, I need a 40inch by 20inch piece.  The 48inch by 24inch size was $25.00.

Cheaper source?????

http://www.eplastics.com/Lexan_Clear_Polycarbonate_Sheet

any others?