Author Topic: Distance between nodes  (Read 2008 times)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
Distance between nodes
« on: December 29, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »
Just curious what people have got out there and were happy with.  Working on a project where I'm going to need a set of nodes (haven't decided yet the number) and some space between and then more nodes.  I've tried to do the following and looks like it starts to die off on the 5 node after the length of distance.

Controller to first node 4' 5"
4 Nodes
19' 10"
7 Nodes

I know controller to first node I'll shorten up, my pigtails from DIYLED where crazy long for some reason compared to past ones I've bought from Ray :).  Ideal I think I would like 12' - 16' feet between node sets.  I know I'll probably need to inject power which isn't a problem and I didn't do in this test.  You think the data will be fine over the entire distance?  I'm planning on running it from a uSC.

Ideal setup
Controller to first node set 6"
Nodes
12'
Nodes
12'
Nodes

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Distance between nodes
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »
Power injection should not be necessary with a small number of pixels.

The data signal starts to get iffy after 6'.  Some controllers can handle a little longer, but 6' (6ft) is a good number from controller to 1st pixel, and between each pixel thereafter.

if you need to have 20ft between pixels, then consider using null pixels... basically a few pixels that take the incoming data signal and regenerate that signal for the next pixel in line.  for a 20ft gap, place 2-3 pixels along that distance.  your sequence can be created to not light those pixels.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »
Thanks Steve I think I have a setup that will work for my case using what you suggested with a null node.  Just one question, is a single node ok for that null node or do I need a couple?

My setup that is working currently doing my testing, driven by a uSC

Controller to first node 4'5"
4 Nodes
4'
4 Nodes (Null, possible just 1 node?)
6'
4 Nodes (Null, possible just 1 node?)
4'
7 Nodes

Using that setup I could have 18' between which I would be happy with.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 11:36:05 PM »
a single node will take the incoming data signal, and using the accompanying power (+12v or +5v -- depending on your pixel type) it will regenerate that signal on the data-out connection. 

One pixel will give you a nice crisp signal good for another 6ft.  Then, use another pixel and it will give you 6ft more...

In the layout you describe, you are good wiil the 4' and 6' spacing -- only one node is needed to join those spaces.  4 nodes is not bad -- if they don't generate light, they won't use much power.  (note: the null pixel does not need to be lit up for it to do this regeneration!)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »
Thanks for the help Steve.

Offline Fresh101

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »
Power injection should not be necessary with a small number of pixels.

The data signal starts to get iffy after 6'.  Some controllers can handle a little longer, but 6' (6ft) is a good number from controller to 1st pixel, and between each pixel thereafter.

if you need to have 20ft between pixels, then consider using null pixels... basically a few pixels that take the incoming data signal and regenerate that signal for the next pixel in line.  for a 20ft gap, place 2-3 pixels along that distance.  your sequence can be created to not light those pixels.

Whats a "null pixels"? I just tried finding some on eBay and nothing. Thanks in advance

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 05:56:16 PM »
It's just a pixel like the rest, you just don't use/program it in your sequencer.

Offline Fresh101

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
It's just a pixel like the rest, you just don't use/program it in your sequencer.

got you, thanks