Author Topic: My display layout  (Read 1280 times)

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
My display layout
« on: September 05, 2013, 12:24:10 AM »
Just wanted to run this by someone to make sure I am on the right track.

2013 plans
Laptop -> DLA Etherdongle -> DLA Active Hub --> DMX to DLA Lynx Express via wireless and crossover to LOR if needed (not sure what the neighbors are up to yet)
                                                                    --> Pixelnet to DLA SSC -> Smart Strings
                                                                    --> Pixelnet to Falcon 16 -> 16 strand RGB mega tree

? Confirming there currently is not a DMX output from the Falcon 16.

2014 plans
Falcon Pi Player in place of laptop
no need for etherdongle if using Pi Player
add Falcon 4 or Falcon 8 if released for inside trees (ideally this is wireless and might be a good place for retired LEs with a Tx/Rx card)

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Brian

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: My display layout
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:44:01 AM »
Just wanted to run this by someone to make sure I am on the right track.

2013 plans
Laptop -> DLA Etherdongle -> DLA Active Hub --> DMX to DLA Lynx Express via wireless and crossover to LOR if needed (not sure what the neighbors are up to yet)
                                                                    --> Pixelnet to DLA SSC -> Smart Strings
                                                                    --> Pixelnet to Falcon 16 -> 16 strand RGB mega tree

? Confirming there currently is not a DMX output from the Falcon 16.

2014 plans
Falcon Pi Player in place of laptop
no need for etherdongle if using Pi Player
add Falcon 4 or Falcon 8 if released for inside trees (ideally this is wireless and might be a good place for retired LEs with a Tx/Rx card)

Thanks in advance,
Brian
your 2013 plans are good.

and (confirming) there is no DMX output coming from the F16.  however, there is another board, the FPD that is a daughter board connected to the FPI -- this FPD can generate 12 pairs of pixelnet and/or DMX universes.  With FPD, you get DMX and you also can replace the EtD.

2014...  the FPI generates E.131 packets -- so you need to have something that converts E.131 to PixelNet and/or DMX.  That is either the EtD or the FPD.

I've not seen a Falcon 4 or Falcon 8 discussed.  Are you thinking Zeus?  (Zeus is functionally identical to F16 and RJ has Zeus8 and Zeus16 now being coop'd)

regarding wireless...  DMX and its low channel counts are suitable for wireless...  you can use the Lynx TX/RX, but there are only 3 channels -- 3 DMX universes to work with.

there is no pixelnet wireless solution (used by Falcon16, the SS Hubs, and the Zeus controllers)

there is a possibility of using standard Wifi for the E.131 traffic, but your mileage may vary -- high channel counts may be a problem

your best bet is to have a conduct/slave sync packet to keep your conductor, slaves, and/or FPIs in sync with each other -- David plans to add sync packet support between the FPI units (and compatibility with Conductor).  This avoids sending E.131 data over the network.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
Re: My display layout
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:37:11 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

As for the falcon 4 and 8, I don't remember where I heard or read about them being a future option. I could be confusing it with Zues.

I want to put pixels inside on the big tree in the front window, but don't want wires running all over inside so custom grouping and a wireless LE may be the way to go.

My network has always been hardwired except for the LEs and LORs as I have had easy and close access to the hubs.

Brian