Author Topic: Trying to understand all the grouping modes available  (Read 1724 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 107
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Trying to understand all the grouping modes available
« on: April 03, 2013, 04:48:30 AM »
The manual says quite a lot about Hybrid modes and custom groups, etc.., but I'm not visualizing the uses very well.

For example, if I wanted to build a 5 pointed star or a six lobed snowflake, you could setup the star as 6 groups (5 arms and the center) or the snowflake as 7 groups (6 arms and the center).  How about a Star with 15 pixels in each point and 30 pixels in the center? (105 pixel string)

But, how do I actually configure that for the Falcon16 and how would I control it in the sequencing software?
I use LOR but am familiar with Vixen and LSP.

Is it something that xLights/Nutcracker can take advantage of?

JonB

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 74
Re: Trying to understand all the grouping modes available
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »
The manual says quite a lot about Hybrid modes and custom groups, etc.., but I'm not visualizing the uses very well.

For example, if I wanted to build a 5 pointed star or a six lobed snowflake, you could setup the star as 6 groups (5 arms and the center) or the snowflake as 7 groups (6 arms and the center).  How about a Star with 15 pixels in each point and 30 pixels in the center? (105 pixel string)

But, how do I actually configure that for the Falcon16 and how would I control it in the sequencing software?
I use LOR but am familiar with Vixen and LSP.

Is it something that xLights/Nutcracker can take advantage of?

JonB

Example #1 Five point star with equal pixels per point.

Lets say you had a five point star and each point had 10 pixels. You wanted to control star by individual points and as a whole.

1) Set the location of controllers hyrid/control channels in controller setup.
2) Enter "50 for pixel count"
3) select the "Start Channel (Start of first RGB data)" .
4) Pick "Standard Grouping".
5) Set "Group Count" to 10
6) Check "Hybrid Mode"

The first RGB channel will control first group of 10 pixels (first point) and so on.
Data written to hybrid location for that port will control the whole star.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjwhqfdeQKs&feature=youtu.be

Example #2 Holiday Coro North Star (Points have different number of pixels)

The Holiday Coro North star has 8 points with the following pixels counts.
Starting at 12 o'clock and going clock wise.
11, 6, 7, 6, 11, 6, 7, 6  (60 total pixels)

1) Set the location of controllers hybrid/control channels in controller setup.
2) Enter "60 for pixel count"
3) select the "Start Channel (Start of first RGB data)" .
4) Pick "Custom Grouping" 
5) On "Custom Grouping Settings Tab" add the 8 groups above with correct pixel counts."
5) Check "Hybrid Mode"

The first RGB channel will control first group of 11 pixels (first point) and so on.
Data written to hybrid location for that port will control the whole star.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:21:32 PM by dpitts »
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 74
Re: Trying to understand all the grouping modes available
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:40:57 PM »
Example #3  (16 string Mega tree folded to make 32 strands)

You have a 16 - 100cnt strings to make a mega tree.  Each string will go up then come down. 50 up and 50 down to make 32 strands.
You want to control each pixel individually but also each strand as a whole for traditional mega tree sequencing.

1) Set the location of controllers hybrid/control channels in controller setup. Example  set to "1" (48 channels total 1-48)
2) Enter "100 for pixel count"
3) Select the "Start Channel" of first port.  Example "Set to 49 because control channels will be located 1-48" .
4) Pick "Standard Grouping"
5) Set "Group Count" to 1
6) On "Custom Grouping Settings Tab" add the 2 groups with a count of 50 each"
7) Check "Control Channel Mode"
8 ) Click "Clone Port" enter 15 for number of ports to clone
9) Send settings

In the sequencer. When you want to control pixels of tree individually send a value from 1-15 to the first control channel of each port.
I.E. (Channels 1, 4, 7, 10 etc.). This will place each port into standard group mode with a group count of "1". Then suppy pixel data on the appropriate channels using nutcracker or other generated data.

When you want to control each strand as a whole send the value of 255 to the first control channel of each port. This will place each port into custom group mode with the first and second groups controlling 50 pixels. Then send color data for both strands first two channels of each port.

LSP - Hint
You can create another controller that has all 32 RGB channels, two for each string, one RGB channel for each strand. In LSP two controllers can have the same channels numbers as only one controller is outputting data at a single time. The new controller can be drawn on visualizer right over the top of individual controlled controller.

In this example the new controller to control strand mode would look like this.

1   49,50,51
2   52,53,54

3   349,350,351
4   352,352,354

5   649,650,651
6   652,653,654

etc..

Video to come.