Author Topic: A humble feature request  (Read 1782 times)

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
A humble feature request
« on: September 05, 2013, 07:37:02 AM »
First it is critically important to me that you guys understand how grateful and amazed I am with the progress of the nutcracker/xlights combo.  The revelation that non-RGB support is "in the works" has me almost beside myself in anticipation.  I am trying to think how this could work and one possibility has me on the edge of my seat.  If you allow a person to add a single channel as another column (basically a channel as it's own model) then allow them to populate the model with a plain DMX value on each row then I could literally control Madrix directly from within xlights.  This doesn't sound too terribly difficult, however, I realize I am in the minority with my "use case" scenario.  I am really hoping that this becomes a reality for me as a byproduct of adding non-RGB support.

Again Thanks for all you do for those of us that don't code so well......

Alan

Offline smeighan

• Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
Re: A humble feature request
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:51:54 AM »
First it is critically important to me that you guys understand how grateful and amazed I am with the progress of the nutcracker/xlights combo.  The revelation that non-RGB support is "in the works" has me almost beside myself in anticipation.  I am trying to think how this could work and one possibility has me on the edge of my seat.  If you allow a person to add a single channel as another column (basically a channel as it's own model) then allow them to populate the model with a plain DMX value on each row then I could literally control Madrix directly from within xlights.  This doesn't sound too terribly difficult, however, I realize I am in the minority with my "use case" scenario.  I am really hoping that this becomes a reality for me as a byproduct of adding non-RGB support.

Again Thanks for all you do for those of us that don't code so well......

Alan

I have two lynx express or 32 channels of Dmx. I want to control them with their own model so I can completely sequence my show using xlights.

In other words, I want what you want.
This year I will have
32 Dmx channels
18,000 smart rgb channels

The 32 is the last thing I need to get in control

Stand by, we will get there
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:01:01 AM »

Stand by, we will get there

You are already going WAY too fast for me!!! LOL  :P

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »
They are moving fast...That's why I have zip tied my butt to the the train and am holding on for dear life.  I think I went on vacation for a week and missed 4 releases.   :o

Thanks for the update Sean.  I am biding my time getting songs ready in Audacity and spending time learning what I can really do with Madrix.

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:19:09 PM »
It would be cool if you could associate a DMX channel with a Color and a spatial coordinate of some kind.

I'm thinkin how LSP can turn on a traditional light (say its a red channel on a mini tree) when the effect shows RED in that spatial location.
But when you sweep green, it could turn on a different channel (say its the green channel on the same mini tree) when the effect shows GREEN in that spatial location.

Of course all of this makes me think ... does nutcracker even have an concept of WHERE a channel or model lives (within the entire show).  I know Sean had ideas on how
to address this with his own show (eventually).  But it makes me wonder if/when that comes into play.

I'd be happy to basically be able to specify in a simple rows and column layout the left to right and top to bottom ordering of everything.  I think LSP used the location in
the visualizer to do this ??

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:29:35 PM »
I think Sean mentioned something similar to this as a future enhancement with the new Preview window where you can setup your models in "relative space" to each other.  Basically being able to run sweeps across your entire preview.  However, he did not mention single color association for non-RGBs. 

So one wish at a time please   :D  lol

Alan

Offline smeighan

• Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 05:03:11 PM »
I think Sean mentioned something similar to this as a future enhancement with the new Preview window where you can setup your models in "relative space" to each other.  Basically being able to run sweeps across your entire preview.  However, he did not mention single color association for non-RGBs. 

So one wish at a time please   :D  lol

Alan

we will start with teh rgb stuff first. With teh new preview we should be able to get all rgb pixels relative to themselves. we can then make a super model that is basically every rgb pixel in your display. Now we can apply effects, like butterfly or colorwash and have your whole house be the model.

dont know if we will get this for thsi year or not;.

i am working single strand effects first