Author Topic: Introducing New Hardware - Amp, Micro Amp - Signal Processor / Amplifier  (Read 23471 times)

Offline tcom_jim

• Kudos: 0
Re: Introducing New Hardware - Amp, Micro Amp - Signal Processor / Amplifier
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 06:09:52 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for the response and the distance limit information for Pixelnet.  Somehow I got the impression that I was pushing it with a 60ft long Pixelnet link, so I was thinking about using a couple of these to condition the signal to my most distant Falcon F16.  I'm still interested in a few of these since I'm presently only using 2 of the 16 outputs of my second F16 and the elements I'm thinking of adding next season will be over 40ft away from the best location for that F16.

Jim
Jim

Offline Blickensderfer

• Kudos: 3
Corey,

Do you know if your going to run a coop for these?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan Blickensderfer

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
Yes, I am hoping to kick off co-ops for the uAmp, uSC and the F16 'afterburner' likely in early April.
Corey
 2018 uSC, Afterburner, uAmp co-op - pending May-June 2018.  Remaining boards are now FOR SALE

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Yes, I am hoping to kick off co-ops for the uAmp, uSC and the F16 'afterburner' likely in early April.

ok... what is "afterburner"?

I just searched the forum looking for a match.  are you holding out on us?? :)
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Rod R

• Kudos: 2
I believe think its that module that plugs into the v1 board.  It think he was hinting to see if people noticed something different in his last video.

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
I believe think its that module that plugs into the v1 board.  I think he was hinting to see if people noticed something different in his last video.

Is it a doodad that's like 16 uAmps in one easy to plug-in module--that's presumably cheaper than buying 16 separate uAmps?

If so, I'm excited as well!  (I wish we had more smileys to choose from on this forum... I'd be using a "giddy" one right now, LOL!)

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
I believe think its that module that plugs into the v1 board.  It think he was hinting to see if people noticed something different in his last video.
boy, I could imagine a lot of variation in such a board... 

some f16s have the plugs, and some have the screw-down terminals...  I'd like to see this type of solution have the plugs on the output side.  someone else might like to avoid the extra expense.

also, there is a good run already possible with the f16 v1 ports... you'd probably like to place the uAmp further from the controller where the signal starts to get weaker.  if you do that, then having 16 all integegrated in one board assumes that they will all head in the same direction from the board -- 10ft away.

i'm interested to hear what corey has in mind.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 197
boy, I could imagine a lot of variation in such a board... 

some f16s have the plugs, and some have the screw-down terminals...  I'd like to see this type of solution have the plugs on the output side.  someone else might like to avoid the extra expense.

Corey, correct me if I am wrong.... :)

From the video, it looked like the afterburner is a board that replaces a line driver chip by plugging directly into the line driver socket, so it would work for both variations of the F16 v1 since it goes in place before the output connectors.  You would need 2 afterburners per F16 if you needed to extend all 16 outputs, or you could use one afterburner and extend 8 outputs.  I would assume the resistor networks are removed when using an afterburner.

I believe that someone also asked about the concept of a multi-uAmp board, but it might not be much cheaper compared to several uAmp's.  It would also not as flexible as separate uAmps and could be costlier if you weren't using all outputs.
-
Chris

Offline Rod R

• Kudos: 2
All I know is I like the name f-16 afterburner 😊.   Reminds me of my military days although I was around f18 and harriers mostly.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
All I know is I like the name f-16 afterburner 😊.   Reminds me of my military days although I was around f18 and harriers mostly.

If you have ever ridden in ANY jet when the afterburner kicked in, you will remember it for the rest of your life.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
+1, very interested in uAmp for some layout distance issues.  I'm good for at least 30.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:10:06 PM by mararunr »
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline heldwhat christmas

• Kudos: 0
Very cool idea.  I'm very interested in getting a few of these when the group buy starts.

I would think this needs to go next to the lights to clean up the signal instead of next to the controller and I believe that is how it is hooked up in the video, but the first post makes it sound like it can go right next to the controller... Is it either?

Thanks!

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
the signal starts to degrade after a while, so you place the uamp near the point where the signal starts getting flakey -- maybe its 2ft for some controllers, maybe it 15 ft for others.  the uamp cleans up the signal and gives it a boost for another 50ft or so.

so you don't want to place it near the first pixel... there is no point.

you could place it near the controller... if your controller is not doing well it can help make it work better.  for some people they'll place it 10ft away (for example).

you can put uamps in series -- one after another -- about 50ft apart, to get long stretches before you get to the first pixel.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 48
It really depends on the controller but putting it next to the lights really doesn't help with much.  The purpose of the amp is to clean up the signal and transmit it cleanly over long distances without the "ring" and other issues that some of the controllers have which degrades the signal beyond readability over even short distances.  If the signal is so degraded by the time it reaches the pixel that the pixel can't read it, then the amp will probably not be able to read it either and in that case, will serve no purpose.  You want to place the amp as close to the controller as needed to give it signal clean enough to properly process.

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
Everything posted above is generally correct.  As a general rule, you'd want the uAmp to be no further away from the controller (or node - if using as a null-node repeater) than the first node would normally be.  There is a bit of 'wiggle room' here as the uAmp is more sensitive than a node and has some ability to 'clean up' a low fidelity signal, but in general, it would go in place of the first node.

While you could technically link uAmp after uAmp for long runs, you'd have to consider the hub-to-controller distance can be ~300ft, and with a uSC controller, you could get 50ft from controller to the first node, then throw in one uAmp and you're out at 400ft to the first node ...the voltage drop starts to become pretty bad, so you're likely better off to put a hub and power supply in that remote location and shorten up the hub-to-node lines.