Author Topic: Future of Falcon NEO  (Read 16313 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: Future of Falcon NEO
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 03:03:25 PM »
Hmm issue with migrating to the Beagle Bone Black would be no aux out, meaning those with older non HDMI projectors would be SOL. The single usb port would also be a tough pill to swallow..

This isn't a migration, it's an option.  FPP will continue to be supported on the Pi, the BBB will be available as an alternate platform.  I also have an ODROID-C1 on the way so it should be supported in FPP v2.0 as well.

If you need composite video and a matrix using P10 panels, you could run a Pi for video and a BBB for the matrix and they would work together using FPP MultiSync.

The USB port on the BBB isn't as much of an issue because you could run FPP off the MMC and use the SD for media and sequences and USB for wireless or a hub.
-
Chris

Offline charleskerr

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 03:09:06 PM »
The USB port on the BBB isn't as much of an issue because you could run FPP off the MMC and use the SD for media and sequences and USB for wireless or a hub.

This is how I ran my show on the BBB. The OS and my software as on the emmc, and all my sequence file and audio files were on the SD card. I ran my software at at 30msec frame rate, and it never had an issue on the SD card transfer rate reading both the audio and sequence file.
One is never too old to learn

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
Bitter sweet. 20 Neo boards just arrived.

That's OK, it looks like they are all upside down, at least the ones I could see. :)

I am all for giving users options, so if both make sense, that would be fine with me, but if the Octoscroller board works out I'd rather see you spending your time on the FPD v2 and F16v2.  Neo could come back later if you wanted, but it doesn't need to be a priority.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 03:18:34 PM »
I agree it could be lower priority. I read the octo site that 10Mhz bit rate was all the designer could effectively clock the data where the fpga may have better speed. It could clock at p10 max speed of 25Mhz. I am waiting the results of testing.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 03:22:13 PM »
Charles you are definitely a pioneer when it comes to the bbb. I may be picking your brain in near future.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 03:25:04 PM »
Well, the cost of the BBB plus the cape plus the panels is a bit more than a single PI and direct wiring to the headers.

I'm for having options. I am also looking to drive these systems longer term an just for the holiday season. The BetaBrite is 200$ on ebay and driving equipment to power that. it is also limited in it's height, and color selections.

It would be great if there was a simple interface that either Pi or BBB which attached to the Matrix looked like a DMX device.. That way any tools could talk to it and send it Data and it interprets the Data and puts it on the Matrix.

Either device would just be a means to connect it to the network.  E1.31 protocol. And drive it directly from XLights :)

Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline charleskerr

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »
Charles you are definitely a pioneer when it comes to the bbb. I may be picking your brain in near future.

Not a problem. Was just trying to alleviate any concern of running one's sequences off the SD card versus a usb drive.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »
Well, the cost of the BBB plus the cape plus the panels is a bit more than a single PI and direct wiring to the headers.

I see them as different options for different use cases.  You will never be able to directly attach as many panels to the Pi as you can attach to the Neo or the BBB because the Pi doesn't have the horsepower to drive them in software.  The Neo and PRU on the BBB are better suited for that.  I don't know how many panels feasibly can be driven directly from software on the Pi, although I plan on testing that soon so I can work on the panel layout code for the Neo or Octoscroller output.  This is part of what I mean when I refer to options.  If you only want 1-2 (or maybe 3-4 if it works) panels, then you could drive them right off a dedicated Pi.  If you want more, then you'd need a Pi w/ Neo or BBB w/ Octoscroller solution.

I have thought about making a simple board that would plug into the Pi that would have a header for connecting a single 16-pin P10 cable into.  The P10/Pi connection is hogging up my Pi T-cobbler and breadboard right now. :)

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 04:14:04 PM »
Hmm issue with migrating to the Beagle Bone Black would be no aux out, meaning those with older non HDMI projectors would be SOL. The single usb port would also be a tough pill to swallow..
why not have the BBB dedicated to your P10 panels... the BBB would be a remote.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »
I didnt want to have to buy a BBB, I have 5 Pis sitting here

Offline Frankr

• Supporting Member
    • Rocklin Lights
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 04:40:52 PM »

I agree it could be lower priority. I read the octo site that 10Mhz bit rate was all the designer could effectively clock the data where the fpga may have better speed. It could clock at p10 max speed of 25Mhz. I am waiting the results of testing.

The rate and existing members that have bought Pis in anticipation of Neo could be compelling arguments. I admit that I bought a pi for Neo but I also have 2 BBBs sitting around so I am on the fence.

Frank

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 05:36:12 PM »
I'll join for a group buy, and of course I will want a few units to test with. They can sit side by side with my 6 Pi's.

Pat

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »

If Neo is nixed or delayed, either way you've spent pretty much the same amount of money.  You could buy a BBB with the money you would have spent on a Neo and even sell a Pi and have money left over after buying a Octoscroller.  If the Octoscroller board comes in at around $10 in a group buy, you are pretty even money without even selling the Pi if Neo is around $60 and BBB + Octoscroller is around $65 and can potentially drive more panels.

I think there are people on both side of the fence.  When I approached David about the Octoscroller option, I said that I wasn't going to bring it up on the forum because I didn't want to step on the Neo, but if Neo isn't coded yet and using a different solution would give David time to work on the FPD v2 and F16 v2 code then I would be fine with going with a non-Falcon solution for the short or long-term.  We also have people using the other E1.31 P10 solution with FPP.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 09:45:35 PM »
I have the boards and a big part of me wants to start coding :) just because it is all here, but the other part wants to keep working on Xlights code too :) . I have no problem with using the Opto/BBB. In fact,
 I am looking forward to playing with the PRU's of the Beagle Black. I need to get another BBB. I had one but lost it.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 05:49:12 AM »
If the BBB and the cape can drive 64 P10 panels and be driven from Nutcracker and maintain the same frame rates, then I'd vote for discontinuing NEO development. It seems like the "level of brightness" control may drop when you add too many panels in series. I know that 8 is a maximum per chain, but would 4 per chain allow better color control and maintain the refresh rate?

While I didn't plan to use more than 32 P10 panels, I can dream bigger. :)

After reading more about the Octoscroller and BeagleBoneBlack capabilities, if FPP can run on it (slave or master???), then this is a very easy solution. I did change my "vote" to discontinue NEO.

and, David, since you paid for the boards and have received them, then keep my money. If discontinued, I'd like my board as a souvenir (without the FPGA, of course). Hopefully you didn't order all of them yet.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:05:10 AM by JonB256 »