Author Topic: Future of Falcon NEO  (Read 15279 times)

Offline mac50

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
Re: Future of Falcon NEO
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2015, 12:40:39 AM »
+1 on donate button.  Thanks David and all the Falcon team.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2015, 07:14:04 AM »
Here's a suggestion. Dip that board in gold. And each year, we have our own trophy! The golden board award! :) We vote on the best FPP controlled display. Granted, we could have different tiers of competition! Qty of lights under control?

:)
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »
Is there a Mouser BOM for the octoscroller? I want to place my orders So I am ready for testing.

Pat

Offline bcstuff

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2015, 10:01:41 AM »
All of you are very gracious. But you guys bought a board and you will get a board. The Falcon Team will most likely discuss the addition of a donate button to help with expenses such as boards and the website.

I was searching for a way to donate money the other day. Please add a Donate button!
-Brian
------------- 2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.  2016 - Grad School Stinks :( 2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminaries  Our Display Videos: http://vimeo.com/brianandheather

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 180
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
Is there a Mouser BOM for the octoscroller? I want to place my orders So I am ready for testing.

There are only a few parts and the PCB is only available in quantity 3 that it probably makes sense to just do a group buy.  In minimum units of 3, the PCB's run just over $10 each.  In a bulk purchase of a minimum of 25, that price drops to close to $6 each.  The only parts on the board are a IC Bus Transceiver, headers to attach to the BBB, and shrouded headers to accept the 8 cables from the P10 panels.  The brains are all in the BBB's PRU, there is no PIC or FPGA or anything like that on the Octoscroller board.

According to OshPark, the 3 PCB's I ordered were sent to fabrication already so maybe I'll get them this week or early next.

If you want to see if you have parts already or order or read up on the board and implementation, you can go to https://trmm.net/LEDscape/Setup    The BOM and link to the PCB are at the bottom.  If you don't have headers handy and don't want to order 100 off eBay, I found that there is a better option on Adafruit than the link listed in the BOM.  Adafruit has a set of a pair of BBB headers which are dual-row and the correct length already for $1.50.
-
Chris

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »
Other than the Captain, has anyone ordered a BBB or the Octoscroller Cape and parts? David said something about the Capes.

Looks like they could be soldered up pretty quick (20 minutes or less). Any reason you couldn't use a 20 pin socket for that IC chip?

JonB

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 75
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2015, 05:47:21 PM »
Other than the Captain, has anyone ordered a BBB or the Octoscroller Cape and parts? David said something about the Capes.

Looks like they could be soldered up pretty quick (20 minutes or less). Any reason you couldn't use a 20 pin socket for that IC chip?

JonB

I am awaiting the Captains results, if they are good like we are expecting, then I will order 18.  :) It does look like the chip can use a socket.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
I don't even have my display down and put away, but I am just chomping at the bit to power up a 3x3 array of P10 panels.  Is it obvious?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2015, 07:11:04 PM »
I ordered 2 BBB and they arrived today. I was going to order 3 Octoscroller cards, 2 for me and 1 for Ben.

Pat

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2015, 12:35:39 AM »

I would test with the socket and IC on a powered-off BBB before soldering a socket onto the board.  I believe that the IC mounts to the underside of the Octoscroller, so it faces down towards the BBB and there might not be enough room for the IC and socket in that position.  Something to check....

I have a 4-panel P10 layout up and running connected to one of my Pi's so I can work on the panel layout code in the direct-attached P10 support which will allow the Pi to support up to 4 panels directly attached to the GPIO header.  This panel layout code will also get used by the Octoscroller Channel Output as well.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2015, 07:41:18 AM »

I have a 4-panel P10 layout up and running connected to one of my Pi's so I can work on the panel layout code in the direct-attached P10 support which will allow the Pi to support up to 4 panels directly attached to the GPIO header.  This panel layout code will also get used by the Octoscroller Channel Output as well.

:) - It works well. Is it possible that this is rolled into a version that can be 'switched to' in the developer page? I think my B has taken a dump and will need to be redone with a new SD card. And all the adjustments done to it again. It is running really slow at the moment and I think the panel outputs are suffering .. The CPU percentage is a bit higher than what you have noticed.

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »

:) - It works well. Is it possible that this is rolled into a version that can be 'switched to' in the developer page?

I will see about getting it pushed to master tonight if I can.  It will currently be limited to 1x1, 2x1, 3x1, 4x1 layouts since those don't require the layout code.  Originally I was waiting until I pushed the initial C++ Channel Output conversion code because I didn't want to push the P10 support and then have to convert it to C++ after pushing.  Now that the C++ Channel Output code is in master I have converted the RGBMatrix/P10 output to C++ and can look at committing the current limited version.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
Awesome. I'll update it to this version when you say go..  I've got a fresh SD card just waiting for it :)

I can hand edit the files and do the support like we have been doing with the RGBMatrix P10 direct connect.

Thanks Capt'n

Offline baelinc

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2015, 05:33:47 PM »
Any updates as to the status of the NEO?

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
a request... there have been some discussions about the P10 setup in this threa, and also in the 50% off P10 thread.

I've not been following those discussions since there is a lot of back and forth.

it would be great if someone summarized the purchase/build/setup instructions when it all comes together.  also, a new thread would be helpful to help separate it from these discussions about NEO, etc.

thoughts?
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro