Author Topic: Future of Falcon NEO  (Read 15212 times)

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
Re: Future of Falcon NEO
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 08:22:46 AM »

and, David, since you paid for the boards and have received them, then keep my money. If discontinued, I'd like my board as a souvenir (without the FPGA, of course). Hopefully you didn't order all of them yet.

I Agree. It was a positive investment. My beta investment is going to this research cause. Time is also money!

Thanks!

Ben
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »
I didnt want to have to buy a BBB, I have 5 Pis sitting here
  We also have people using the other E1.31 P10 solution with FPP.

This is what I would like to see. Where is this discussion about E1.31 with P10 in use?

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 08:36:15 AM »
David, I am fine with applying my initial NEO downpayment to your investment in boards and related expenses.  There's no reason for you to bear the development costs solely on your shoulders unless this is a true business venture with profit.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 08:50:05 AM »
+1 Beat me to it. 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline Frankr

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
    • Rocklin Lights
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 09:11:44 AM »
+1 as well

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 09:50:27 AM »
We also have people using the other E1.31 P10 solution with FPP.

This is what I would like to see. Where is this discussion about E1.31 with P10 in use?

Ron on diychristmas.org created a board to drive up to 4 panels via E1.31.  Here's one thread with links to more information:  http://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?1986-LED-Matrix-Panel

I think he is investigating another board that will drive mroe panels, but that is still E1.31 based so it still puts a lot of data on E1.31 that doesn't need to be.  I think he planned on using that his HDMI to E1.31 board to get the data off a PC onto the network.  That is a big reason that David was building the Neo, to take the network out of the picture and have the Pi just play the data right onto the Neo-attached panels.

Having the Neo or Octoscroller support in FPP will allow us to do a lot more with the panel orientations and layouts I believe.  I don't think Ron's board allows a lot of control over the orientation and layout of the panels.
-
Chris

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 56
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 10:14:55 AM »

The other issue with Ron's controller is that it's Multicast only.  He stated yesterday at:

http://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?3395-Interest-in-16-universe-controller/page3&highlight=unicast

that there are no plans to support unicast.   So not only is it a LOT of e1.31 traffic, it's all multicast traffic which would kill anyone's wireless network.   I was seriously considering buying one to play with until the BBB solution is available, but I'm not doing anything multicast.

Dan Kulp

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 74
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 10:26:03 AM »
I plan to buy the capes for all participants of the neo presale. May ask for shipping though. Since bbb off loads sending to p10's to pru's we should  be able to run fpp in slave mode to receive e131.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline neilric99

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »
that sounds good David, let us know

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 10:49:44 AM »
David, I am fine with applying my initial NEO downpayment to your investment in boards and related expenses.  There's no reason for you to bear the development costs solely on your shoulders unless this is a true business venture with profit.

+1 & +1 to this!
Jerry Plak

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 12:51:42 PM »
I have one of Ron's controllers (the smaller on that supports 4 board. And yes it is multicast. The board I have will support up to 4 P10 boards. You can do it in 2 configurations. 1x4 or 2x2.

I chose to go this route until something was available here.

I will move to the new solution when it's available.

Pat

Offline tomwb301

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 03:13:14 PM »
David,

You already invested in the NEO boards. Keep the payment and let me know what the capes will cost. I have invested in 30 P10 boards so getting them to work will be the fun part. Jon and I have been talking a lot on how we both are going to build everything.
Tom
Crosby, Texas

Offline bakerlights

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 03:33:35 PM »
+1 on David keeping the payment for the NEO board and let me know the cost of the capes..  I don' t expect him to carry the cost and wish there was more I could do to help his development of the Falcon hardware/software lines.

Offline neilric99

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 10:38:16 PM »
Dave, as you have already invested in the NEO boards it is perfectly ok with me to send you another payment for the Cape's if you group purchase them. I know that we are on the bleeding edge with the design of these boards and software.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 74
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 10:59:34 PM »
All of you are very gracious. But you guys bought a board and you will get a board. The Falcon Team will most likely discuss the addition of a donate button to help with expenses such as boards and the website.