Author Topic: SOLVED - Programming F16 - HELP  (Read 2508 times)

Offline chadowamsley

• Kudos: 0
SOLVED - Programming F16 - HELP
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:32:09 AM »
Hello,

Ive loooked through the posts and wiki, but still a little stumped when trying to program my F16. Im knew to all this pixelnet and trying to understand and learn the best I can. Im trying to program through my FPD, if its hooked up correctly Im not sure. Have PC - Pi connected to FPD with ribbon cable - ethernet cable going from FPD to F16 pixelnet in port. F16 is powered up, all the green LED lights are on, but the first pixel on each string is constantly on. Not sure why the first pixel on each string would constantly be powered on. I have the strings hooked up with the arrow on the bottom of the pixels going away from the board. When I place the test jumper across both pins, nothing happens. Also, inside the Falcon control software, when I hit program I get a New File Not Saved across the top. So Im sure Im missing a step somewhere.

I do get a blue light on the F16 to flash a bit when I first power the board up.

Should there be something else connecting the FPD to the F16 to program the channels besides just an ethernet cable ?

Any help would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:25:22 PM by chadowamsley »

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
Re: Programming F16 - HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:42:14 AM »
From a quick scan of your post it looks like everything is connected correctly.

Pi --- > FPD --- > RJ45 Jack 1 Pixelnet Universes 1 - 4
                    --- > RJ45 Jack 2 Pixelnet Universes 5  - 8
                    --- > RJ45 Jack 3 DMX Universes 1 - 4

My next question is how you have the F16 Unit ID set, according to the programming info in you config page it should be set to zero (0). As the manual says all the switches should be in the down position.

Then how do you have the Pixelnet Universe jumpers set? The Falcon-16 Controller Doc page 3 covers the setting of these blue jumpers.

You have not mentioned what type of RGB strings your are connecting to the F16. Sometimes if you get the strings connected incorrectly the fist pixel will come on and do nothing else.

One way to know that your F16 is programmed correctly connected to the pixels and addressed correctly is when you click program all the pixels connected to the F16 will flash briefly. If not there is still something wrong.

The programming signals from the PI to the F16 do flow through the FPD and are independent to the Pixelnet or DMX data packets. This and the unique F16 board ID allows for reprogramming out in the yard as well.

Hope some of this helps.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 10:43:49 AM »
Turn off E1.31 output, that checkbox is for sending E1.31, not receiving E1.31.  Also, do you have FPP set to 'Bridge' mode or are you still in one of the Player modes?  I think you also need to set the "FPD Address" in the config utility to 192.168.0.9 since that is the IP you are accessing the Pi over in the other screenshots.
-
Chris

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »
MrChristmas

Im using 1804 strings I purchased from another member here to test with before buying a large amount. I have the string connected to the controller in rgb order with red being to the right side of the connection.
I have dip switch set to 0 with all pins in the down position.
Ill have to double check my universe jumpers before I can answer.
When in test mode I get nothing,  Just the first pixel that status on constantly.

Captain

I will change the fpd ip address when I get back home to try that.

Thank you for the replies and I'll try one I get back home in a few.

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 11:17:21 AM »
I unchecked enable e1.31 output and set the FPD ip address to 192.168.0.9. Blue lights on FPD are blinking, but still no output to pixels except first pixel  on. Pixelnet universe jumpers are all on the bottom for universe 1&2. The test jumper I only have one pin connected, except when trying to run test mode, then I have both pins connected. On the FPD I have jumper on both pins of test1 and nothing on test2. Attaching a couple more pictures also.

The Pi, FPD and F16 are all 3 flashed with newest files.

The two F16 boards I have were purchased already built so I could play around while waiting for the group buy boards to arrive. The sockets at Max 1-4, by the universe select jumpers, do not have sockets. There is just leads soldered across the first two 4 of 8 holes of each. Not sure if that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:51:19 AM by chadowamsley »

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 11:37:10 AM »
With the test jumper on the F16's should cycle colors or something is wrong with them or the connection to the lights.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 11:57:56 AM »
It looks like you have your pixels wired wrong.

It looks like you have the following on the controller:

red +
green -
blue data

on the pixel in the picture you have this:

red +
blue - (GND)
green data

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 12:05:02 PM »
Yeah I seen that with the test jumper on the light should come on, but not getting anything besides first pixel on dim. Both boards are the same issue so thats why I figured it was something small I was overlooking. I reflashed the boards with no change. Im sure the FPD is correct as the blue lights are flashing when in bridge mode.

I think it has to be something with the boards. Is there a troubleshooting guide or anything for the F16 boards ?

Could a bad pixel cause the first pixel to be dimly lit and no other activity on the line ? Just wondering if the first pixel on each of my 3 strings could possibly be bad. If so, I can cut the first one off and test.

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 12:07:04 PM »
Captain,

Green is hooked to the middle which shows - and blue is to the left which shows a D on my board. On the picture I posted showing the dim pixel being on, it shows red to the right which is + , green in the middle which is -, and blue to the left which is D.

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »
Chad why don't you reverse the green and blue and I'll bet you pixel turn off and the test will work.

Look on the back of those pixels and you will see that the DO (data out/in) is connected to the green wire and GND is connected to the blue wire. I dragged out some from my sample pack and verified this.

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 12:48:51 PM »
That fixed my issue. I guess I was misreading the back of these nodes. Ill have to check that when I order my batch of pixels.

Thank you all for the help.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:19:59 PM by chadowamsley »

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 01:16:27 PM »
You will find out very quickly by using a sequencer that has a test mode such as xLights to turn on each of the three channels, R, G, B and seeing if the pixels light appropriately. If not you will have to change the color order around until R turns on red, G turns on green and B turns on Blue.

You can not do this from the test mode of the F-16. It is for just testing to see if the connected lights work.

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
Re: SOLVED - Programming F16 - HELP
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 06:15:02 PM »
I have received 2811 rectangles from Ray Wu were the blue wire is the ground and the data is on the green wire.  I always check my nodes now before powering up.  You never know what order of wire color China is going to use next.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 05:58:40 AM »
I have received 2811 rectangles from Ray Wu were the blue wire is the ground and the data is on the green wire.  I always check my nodes now before powering up.  You never know what order of wire color China is going to use next.
Yes, someone had this earlier and I thought they had their wires wrong in the F16 outputs. But - if it works in test mode then it must be correct.
Thankfully, they seem to be pretty tolerant of getting "data" and "ground" swapped.

Not sure sure it will be so forgiving if you get +12v swapped with data. :)
Anybody done that and survived?

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 09:44:36 AM »

Not sure sure it will be so forgiving if you get +12v swapped with data. :)
Anybody done that and survived?

Yep lights were fine....fuse on the other hand is not :)

One of those moments once you hit the power button you know.....