Author Topic: Solved - Able to share universe between two controllers ?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline chadowamsley

• Kudos: 0
Solved - Able to share universe between two controllers ?
« on: January 14, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »
Hello,

Ive been looking, but been unable to locate an answer. I have two F16 controllers that Im looking to run my pixel tree this year. Each controller with have 12 strings of 128 nodes. I was wondering since 12 strings are just over 4600 channels, if I could set board one for universe 1 & 2, then on the second board start at the remainder of universe two and then finish on universe 3. Im not sure if this is possible or if I would have to use universe 3 and 4 for the second board.

Im also planning to possibly run an active hub with ssc to control 14 - 16 hundred node mini trees.

Thanks for any help
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:32:37 PM by chadowamsley »

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Able to share universe between two controllers ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
Definitely possible because I've done it. As long as you get the jumpers right and program it correctly, there will be no problem with your scenario.

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 06:44:16 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I figured it was possible but wanted to make sure. I really didnt want to waste almost a whole universe if I didnt have to.

Thanks again

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
I do the same for mine. Easily done.

Roger

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 09:48:21 PM »
Agreed, like Jon said, set 2nd F16 jumpers to universes 2&3.  Pretty sure this was designed exactly for this purpose...  I have some elements divided by ports/controllers/universes and it does seem "weird" at first or that it might be problematic, but once it's set correctly, you'd never know. 

Not sure where you are located but I converted my rgb mins from hub+ssc to F16 and was happy I did.  I lost alot of SSC/blew fuses to moisture or corrosion issues the previous year.  This past year, everything on the ground was F16 and not a single issue.  Just a thought...
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 04:13:18 PM »
zwiller. What distance are your minis from the F16 ? My furthest mini will be around 10' - 12' from controller. I thought the distance to first node had to be under 6' - 8'. Im just starting out so might have misunderstood my reading.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 04:23:58 PM »
zwiller. What distance are your minis from the F16 ? My furthest mini will be around 10' - 12' from controller. I thought the distance to first node had to be under 6' - 8'. Im just starting out so might have misunderstood my reading.

I went 15 feet to my Pixel nodes and 25 feet to ws2811 strips.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 05:07:43 PM »
My actual distance from F16 to minis was 12'.  If you look hard you can see the CG1500 near the 2nd mini from walkway: http://vimeo.com/user5568400

That said, I have seen many success stories of the F16 to the tune of 25/30'.  Conversely, I tested the Zeus at 12' and had issues and had to scale back 6'.  Fortunately for us, the distance to first node is becoming less of a concern...  uSC is 50' and so is David's new controller, and there is even Corey's uAMP specifically designed to extend this distance.   

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 09:00:38 PM »
Wishing I found this site before getting on DIYLA and buying two hubs, Edongle and SSC. Just relisted them for sell and will be buying some more Falcon products when they become available. I have two F16 boards to run my 48x64 tree this year already.

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »
Zwiller is the controller in the CG1500 controlling the walkway lights ? That is plenty of distance for my mini trees Im planning.

The USC still requires a hub to run though correct. Once I convert my arches and tune to sign I will be grabbing a hub with my SSC controllers or moving those to the USC design.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 07:10:16 AM »
DIYLA gear is good stuff.  I am still using some.  RJ did a great job bringing the DIY aspect to the masses. 

You can do alot of things with pixels/smart gear...  IE: yes, the CG1500 feeds my zwilluminaries(tm) BUT they are all wired together as a "bank" of 4.  So there is only 1 connector to the F16, it's near the house/CG1500.  Same goes for the minis but they needed power injections so there are 2 lines to F16, but not 4...  I am also running the columns from the F16...  There is a decent pic in this thread: http://www.diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?3260-RGB-module-mini-trees

A good way to develop a strategy is sketch up things with measurements and try to do it to scale.  Doesn't have to be perfect.  I work in real estate so you might even find a good aerial map with dimensions online with your governing tax authority.  I look at it this way: With 12' lines on my F16 I have a 24' radius to work with. 

Yes, still need a hub with uSC. 

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 04:52:11 PM »
Hello,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but one last question on this subject. I understand I can control 2 universes from an F16, but are each side of the board just one universe, or can I have universe one and two on the second bank ? I want to make sure the universe jumpers dont limit each bank to a certain universe, or I want to verify if they do. Im attaching a screenshot of my Falcon Control Software setup to show what Im talking about. Ill have some of universe 1 and 2 on the second bank.

I believe I confused myself with to much stuff this weekend and now trying to get back to normal by one task at a time.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 05:26:43 PM »
All 16 ports share all the data. There are no boundaries.

Offline chadowamsley

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »
Thank you. I just wanted to be sure. Just make sure I have jumpers correct.

Thank You again.